What's new
What's new

Tips for keeping parts in the chute

SDConcepts

Stainless
i've got a job where i'm running 5 parts simultaneously. the parts are fairly small and so far i catch about2 out of parts parts repeatably. the first one i lose all the time since its at the end. the second one i usually lose. i usually catch 3 and 4 and then 5 is usually lost as well. basically the catcher is wide enough to span the length of all the parts but they are being flung after cut off. i've tried slowing it down and it doesn't help and speeding up only makes it worse.

I have used a small piece of window screen in a built frame a few times, bowing the screen to form a bit of a bowl in the process. I put this in a place in the machine under the chute and by the chip pan area. You catch chips as well, but it hepls sort out the parts before they hit the conveyor, bottom of the pan.

If you can aim a oil line with medium pressure in the direction you want the parts to go down the chute it normally helps. I have in times when that don't help attached an extra piece of tin to the chute to stop the flying parts like hitting a wall and make them bounce back down the chute. if you can watch in which direction they fling between the two ideas you oughta be able to dictate how to make it work.

We have two Haas SL-20's with parts catchers. The smallest parts we catch are aluminum & about the size of a dime. We also usually do 5 or 6 at a time & either use subroutines or WCS shifts. I usually part off at normal speed & slow down to 500 rpm & turn off coolant about .100" before it cuts off the parts. The Haas' have chip augers, so we've got a rectangular clear plastic plate covering the auger. Some of the smallest parts inevitably do float away with the coolant past the plate's seams at the sides. Packing with aluminum chips helps this.
Check to see if your parts have any wire chips hanging them up at the tool after they've been cut free. Some times this'll cause them to fall back when the tool rapids away and be tossed by the chuck.

I have a couple of rubber flaps that I have mounted to some aluminum angle that bolt to the turret right next to the parting tool. These are a couple of different shapes that can direct a small amount of force to the part as it is being parted off. It is 99.9% foolproof. I can take a picture tomorrow if you like.

pics would be great. i will try and implement some of these ideas tomorrow. i thought about catching them at the end of the chip conveyor but thats a messy bunch of chips to wade through. did i mention these parts are 304 stainless.

A variation on ARB's rubber and it was pre CNC on small turrets, but I've see a paintbrush (say 3/4) fixed on a bendy bit of wire to the dropside of the cut off tool so the bristles are touching the drop, worked a treat.

I wonder what style of part-off tool is being used? I would imagine that square nose is perhaps a bit more likely to 'burst off' the part and fling it. So an angle nose might be worth a shot, as well as a slow down in feed (moreso than rpm) at the vital moment.

pics would be great. i will try and implement some of these ideas tomorrow. i thought about catching them at the end of the chip conveyor but thats a messy bunch of chips to wade through. did i mention these parts are 304 stainless.

I've run maybe 800K or more parts through one machine that way over the last 10+ yrs. That machine has a gimmiky parts retrievel setup that is also quite time consuming, so it is best left in the "parked" position.

Sorting out the tailpipe aint that bad. I know others that doo the same.

304 aint bad, BRASS is bad!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Successful parts catching is an Art! Adding screens, flaps made of rubber, alum sheet fenders, paint brushes, redirecting coolant, slowing the spindle. Some combination of the above must be masterfully applied to reliably catch parts. I'm self taught on CNC lathes and my first "parts catching" was attempted at Mach speed...I remember hearing the part flying around inside the enclosure...and kinda laughed to myself....proud at figuring out how to get the parting tool to even work at that speed...then the forehead slap and thinking "this aint gonna work".
Good parts catching!
Carl

Better late than never

Here are a couple of mediocre pictures of my flaps.

100_4918.jpg

100_4919.jpg

----
R.I.P. Mitty :codger:

Back