What's new
What's new

milling DOC- what to use??

ACE323

Cast Iron
I decided to put together a spreadsheet for an employee that has no experience programming milling machines.It consists of a page of recommended speeds and feeds which will be entered into cells.

User enters:
SFM
IPT
ENDMILL DIA.
# OF FLUTES

Program returns the following 4 values into 4 different operation blocks(facemilling,slotmilling,contouring,and pocketing):
RPM
FEEDRATE(IPM)
AXIAL DOC
RADIAL DOC

RPM andFEEDRATE will be the same for all 4 ops.

I've done extensive searches on the web and the problem I'm having is that everywhere I look, someone has a totally different recommended DOC from the other guy.1.5 x EM dia., .25 x EM dia.,ETC
What I'm looking for is a tried-and-true set of values for AXIAL DOC and RADIAL DOC for the 4 basic milling ops:
Facemilling
Contour milling
Pocketing
Slotting

We always use carbide and use 4-flutes 99% of the time.Unfortunately, I never went to school for machining and haven't kept very good notes.

Thank You

Ace

I would think you'd need a new spreadsheet for each type of material your going to be working with. The DOC in stainless is less than in aluminum for example. You also would have to figure in the rigidity of your setup. I also tend to be more gentle on the smaller dia. cutters vs their beefier counterparts.

I think there is a program already available from a board member that will help you out. I can't recall the name, but I'm sure someone else will know it.

tell him 10% doc for steels this will usually allow everything up to and including full width of cut in my experience. with a lot of room to go deeper after he gets more comfortable with taking a cut. 20% for aluminium. Hopefully he will be a little braver after a few weeks and increase the doc for better run times and tool life.

Just keep in mind there is no tried and true way to machine. If that were the case everyone would work under the exact same set of rules, and each machine would come with a sticker on the door. It varies from shop to shop, and programming attack methods. I'd go conservative at first at around 25% x dia. for endmills and .050 for facing until the limits of the setup and machine can be evaluated.

Back