What's new
What's new

PDA in the shop pros/cons programs

mjk

Titanium
I just started using a pda and not sure whether it fits my style. I still only use about 15 minutes a month on my cell phone after having one for ten years. A friend suggested I find a machining program for calculations and referance data.
I inqured into the Kennametal KMobile when it first came out but for me it was to much $ for something I may not need.

Anyone using a pda in the shop?
What "shop" programs are useful?
What programs are accurate?
What is the survivability of a PDA in a shop?
Thanks
Mike

I've been using my PDA in the shop for years. I use a program called machinist toolbox, which I find to be very handy. There are plenty of others but this one has been (so far) free. Every 6 months or so it tells me that my trial has expired. I delete it and reload it with the .exe file I kept and it goes for another 6 months. I'd pay for it but the guy refuses to take AMEX.
Grumpy

grumpyphil
yes I found that one. It is fairly easy to use and you can modify/add specs for material.
For me the jurys still out whether I'll keep it.

I did also find Machinist's Top Drawer.
I've already found some errors in some of the info. I tried contacting the author but didn't get a responce. I have a few more uses before it will stop working at which time I'll probably let it fade away with a delete.
I reposted this topic in the general section since I didn't get a responce.
General Section Link

Back