What's new
What's new

Milling slots on lathe without y axis

USAone

Plastic
I need help Milling slots on lathe without y axis

I am trying to mill a slot in a 1" round diameter off brass with a 3/8" ball end mill. Would like to interpolate but can't quite get it. I could possibly plunge in full depth and just rotate c axis a few degrees also but struggling with that also it's a Fanuc Oi Td control

I think this is a valid question. We have quite a few parts that should probably STAY on the lathe, but come to me instead, requiring another setup with more tools, a fixture or vise, and too much time.

Somma built some offset mill drill tool holders for screw machines, whether they would be compatible with a CNC machine I do not know. I have never run a C-axis machine but it seems to me that should be able to work also. With CAD I could figure out the starting and ending degrees and distance from the centerline for the start and end. Whether the control would do what I wanted would be another story.

I am trying to mill a slot in a 1" round diameter off brass with a 3/8" ball end mill. Would like to interpolate but can't quite get it. I could possibly plunge in full depth and just rotate c axis a few degrees also but struggling with that also it's a Fanuc Oi Td control

Although I won't have a lot of insight, I can say that it would be immeasurably helpful if you upload a print or screenshot of your part. Might be too much to ask, but I'd bet some folks could give an example if you provided the actual model as well.

/here hoping to learn something

Direction of slot seems to be "around" the piece ??? If so, you don't need any interpolation. Just plunge and rotate C. What are you trying to interpolate? What's the issue - getting into C cylindrical interpolation mode?

Rich

Direction of slot seems to be "around" the piece ??? If so, you don't need any interpolation. Just plunge and rotate C. What are you trying to interpolate? What's the issue - getting into C cylindrical interpolation mode?

Rich

I read it as a groove in the X-Z plane, not X-C.

Study up on Polar Interpolation.
G112/G113 (or whatever the newer decimal point numbers are)

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Right. It sure would be good to see a drawing or sketch. If the groove is in the face and it's circular around the center then cylindrical interpolation will work - just turn C with the cutter plunged in the face. Polar will work in that case, too. If it's not circular around the center then polar is necessary unless it's just a straight groove through the center in which case either interpolation mode will keep the spindle "indexed" where you want it. You just need to be careful with feed rates near the center while in polar mode.

Polar - G12.1 or 112
Cyl - G7.1

Back