What's new
What's new

Change Preset on Heidenhain while running.

Ben Lang

Plastic
Is there any way to change a parameter to make it so you can change the preset.pr table while the machine is running? It is a Heidenhain iTNC530 control. I want to be able to change the presets on a different part while the machine is working on another part. This machine has a pallet system.

Manually the Preset can only be changed in the Manual and handwheel modes so can't edit the active preset while the machine is running.

But here are some ways around it.

1- program can automatically change any preset other than 0 using functions and variables.
2- change it offline (ie connect through TNCremoNT change file send it back to control.)
3- goto programming and editing mode, copy existing preset table to another name make changes. Copy file back to TNC:\preset.pr.

maybe some other ways too

Manually the Preset can only be changed in the Manual and handwheel modes so can't edit the active preset while the machine is running.

But here are some ways around it.

1- program can automatically change any preset other than 0 using functions and variables.
2- change it offline (ie connect through TNCremoNT change file send it back to control.)
3- goto programming and editing mode, copy existing preset table to another name make changes. Copy file back to TNC:\preset.pr.

maybe some other ways too

I would suspect methods 2 and 3 have ka-bloomy written all over them.
1 wrong figure and you're looking at a box of broken bits where once you had tools and a fixture.

2 alternatives occur to me

Insert a M01 optional stop just before the pallet switch, this will let you safely put the machine into manual and edit the preset table, then do a safe restart in slow motion to check you have'nt done anything stupid such as put in Z-200 for the Z height when it should be Z+200

Or

If you use a program for each pallet, then start the program something like this

0 BEGIN PGM Pallet 1 MM
1 CYCL DEF 247 DATUM SETTING ~
Q339=+1 ;DATUM NUMBER
2 CYCL DEF 7.0 DATUM SHIFT
3 CYCL DEF 7.1 X+0
4 CYCL DEF 7.2 Y+0
5 CYCL DEF 7.3 Z+0
6 ...... etc etc

This will allow you to move the datum while Pallet 2 program is running
Assuming of course you run something like

0 BEGIN PGM PALLET_MAIN MM
1 LBL "LOOP"
2 CALL PGM Pallet 1
3 CALL PGM Pallet 2
4 CALL LBL "LOOP" REP 5000
5 END PGM PALLET_MAIN MM

Boris

<<is suffering from Brain fade caused by trying to machine a hydraulic actuator 250mm long on a 4 axis VMC

I would suspect methods 2 and 3 have ka-bloomy written all over them.
1 wrong figure and you're looking at a box of broken bits where once you had tools and a fixture.

This is a problem anytime you enter offsets or programs by hand. So... Edit -> check -> check again...

our guys basically never slow down the machine even for a first run actually there not even near the control most of the time.

I am going to try both ways. So when I pull up my preset.pr file with tncremont edit it and then send it back and overwrite it while the machine is running? That easy?! I have always been a fanuc guy. But I am getting to really like the heidenhain controll alot. Thanks for your guys help. I also have one other question.(actually I have about a million) I have a renishaw probe. When I am probing in automatic mode it only rapids at a set speed. It is pretty annoying. Would you guys have any idea what parameter I could change to make the probe run at full rapid to its position then probe? I have tried turning of collision monitoring but that didn't change anything. Any help would be appreciated!

to change the probe speed. goto PGM and editing -> MOD key -> Code 123 -> MP6150!
This sets the rapid feedrate with the probe, max is 20000mm/min.
Most people set it to a speed such that if it crashes into the part it won't over extend the probe travel before the probe sense, especially important for the Z.

There are a couple other ways too.
MP6151 =0 use speed in MP6150 MP6151=1 use FMAX

Also there is Cycle 441 which will allow you to easily change these numbers in the part program.

Last edited:
hansdie
You are like a Heidenhain manual! Thanks for your help. Thanks for the tips and tricks. One more question(maybe)?? What do most people set their CYCL DEF 32.0 TOLERANCE too??
CYCL DEF 32.1 T0.001
CYCL DEF 32.2 HSC-MODE:1

This is what I have it at. I know that that is a general question. I do a lot of aluminum roughing on boxes and chassis from 4" square to 24" square. any direction would help. I am new to the heidenhain control, but not to machining. I like that I have a lot of control over the high speed cycle I just what to know what works best for other people.

Well it's all in the Heidenhain manual!!

As for cycle 32, personally I set it as high as possible to give me the fastest speeds while still maintaining the surface accuracy. So generally anywhere from .2 mm roughing to .01 finishing. But there is a recommendation in the manual to use a percentage of the short line lengths.

hansdie

If I add this at the begining of my program with a datum shift table

If I0 BEGIN PGM Pallet 1 MM
1 CYCL DEF 247 DATUM SETTING ~
Q339=+1 ;DATUM NUMBER
2 CYCL DEF 7.0 DATUM SHIFT
3 CYCL DEF 7.1 X+.001
4 CYCL DEF 7.2 Y+.001
5 CYCL DEF 7.3 Z+0
6 ...... etc etc

and then call the cycle def 247 q339=+1 again does it shift back to zero or keep the same datum shift even when it recalls the cycle def 247??

I will have it reset at the end, but I didn't know about the middle recalling.

Yes, when you call the preset table cycle 247 it will remove any active datum shift.

Of course there are ways around it depending how you want to use the datum shift.

Hansdie

Is there any way to shut the machine off like a APF(Automatic Power Function) with the heidenhain controll?? I have searched but I havn't found anything on it.

Hansdie

Is there any way to shut the machine off like a APF(Automatic Power Function) with the heidenhain controll?? I have searched but I havn't found anything on it.

I'm not Hansdie , but yes if your machine tool builder has enabled it

Put the 530 into program full run mode, press the M button on the top right of the screen, and the Auto power off should be at the bottom of that row of buttons that appears

Just remember.... dont shut down the compresser supplying the machine with air before the 530 shuts down.... :bawling:

Boris

Back