What's new
What's new

Mistaway units......plumb them with PVC?

david n

Diamond
Anyone have Mistaway units plumbed to there machines with PVC pipe? 3 of my 4 machines will needs special plenums/plumbing to mount them. I am contemplating hanging them from the ceiling and running 6" or 8" PVC down to the machines. Less chance of schmoo leaking out of the ducting and it would look much cleaner and professional. What say ye?

Good idea.

I can't see why PVC wouldn't work...possibly over time the coolant goo will soften the plastic?

Online are companies that offer those kinds of piping and fittings out of metal, both standard items and build-to-order. Kinda spendy though....

ToolCat

PVC should work great, I've never seen coolant/oil bother it one bit.

PVC becomes brittle when exposed to most oils long term. For the OP's application, it won't matter.

If the application is on a machine that may catch fire (sinker EDM, screw machine running oil) I'd go with metal and wire the mistaway to shut off if the machine is equipped with fire suppression and it actuates.

PVC is not so good as far as the fire marshall goes, but works well as it's easy to fab and easy to make leak free.

The PVC elbows usually have a pretty tight radius which creates a lot of pressure drop/air flow decrease. If you can use the drain/wastewater style with the larger radius, it would be better, but I've never looked for them in the larger diameters.

Steve

Back