What's new
What's new

Old Hardinge Conquest T51 SP Hydraulic pump not coming on

Tungsten Carbide

Aluminum
I got this machine from an auction and had the tech come to help install it. It was low on hydraulic oil but he got it running to show me the basics. When the oil came in a few days later, I added it to the tank while it was powered up (apparently you are supposed to power down first). Now the Low Hydraulic Pressure Alarm won't go away and the pump doesn't even try to turn on. I have checked for tripped resets and blown fuses, but I can't find the problem. If anyone has had this and figured out how to solve it, I would really appreciate some guidance.

If you can't find any blown fuses or popped O/L's, then have you shut it down completely - at the case level?
I have the same machine - with likely many more hours, and the only trouble that I can recall ever having with the hydro system is the pump motor started hammering the bearing into the housing. To milk it a little longer, I bored and bushed the housing. That was several hundred thousand parts ago.... No fuss yet...

Maybe even hold P/Cancel during power up of the control to help reset some alarm that you're not seeing?

Any chance that it needs bled somehow? I don't think that I've ever had to doo that to a hydro pump before, but ... ???

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox,

Thanks so much for the help. I have cut the main breaker several times, but it does no good. What does holding P/Cancel do?

That is SOP for Fanuc. It just cancels some internal alarms.
Just hold those two keys down the whole time while it boots up.

I'm doubting that _ that will help tho.
I'd find the motor starter that feeds it and manually trip it and see if it fires up, and go from there.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

P/Cancel did not work. I thought I was resetting the starter, but I might not know what I'm looking at.

Attachments

• Hardinge Conquest T51 Electrical Cabinet.jpg
    Hardinge Conquest T51 Electrical Cabinet.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 167
I didn;t figger it would, just worth a try....

Have you found the motor starter and Jimmied it yet?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

P/Cancel did not work. I thought I was resetting the starter, but I might not know what I'm looking at.
I wish you blokes would get past that P/Can thing.

Be assured, the only thing it does is tun off "soft travel over limits". Unless your getting an axis soft / over-travel alarm. Which always starts with an alarm number of 500 or 501. Your wasting your time.

To the O.P. You do know Hardinge were freaky with Fanuc, You have to push that E.stop release button before it will play.

Regards Phil.

You have to push that E.stop release button before it will play.

Yeah, I guess since this is a new machine to you, maybe you don't know / forgot the starting sequence?
Maybe it's that simple?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I do it like the book says: breaker on, control on, undo E-Stop, Press E-Stop release button, verify door switch (I hate that damn thing), and then I am unable to home the axes because I can't get the Low Hydraulic Alarm to go away (and it never will go away until I can get the hydraulic pump to come on). Is the pump supposed to come on at breaker on, control on, E-stop release, or door verify?

Spitballing here. But is it possible the alarm isn’t pressure and is the float switch causing the issue? I’m asking because I had almost the same thing happen on an old emco. The system has a slow leak and finally got down to throw the low level alarm. We were out of fluid and really didn’t have anything to run so I let it sit for a few weeks. Oil showed and finally had something for it and refilled it but the alarm stayed. Hit cancel rebooted same thing. Pulled the float switch off the tank held the float up and cancel and alarm went away. Wiped off the float made sure it was free popped back in and been running since

Pretty sure there's no float in the hydro tank.
Waylube tank - YES, but that will not keep the machine from starting, just won't go in AUTO is all...

Hydro should engage when you push the RELEASE button down and PULL UP on the e-stop button at the same time.
Maybe you are missing the "pull up" part?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Son of a bitch. I thought it was "pull knob first, then hit E-stop reset". I held the reset in while pulling out the knob and it fired right up. They should write that on the side of the control panel for dummies like me. Thanks so much Ox, and everyone else who tried to help.

I just checked the manual that came with the machine. Like I thought, it has the E-stop knob and the reset button as 2 separate steps in the power-up procedure (I knew I read it somewhere). I never would have thought to try them simultaneously. Thanks again, Ox.

Back