What's new
What's new

Modular "screw-on" milling heads/shanks

JMC

Cast Iron
All,

I have been given a project where I must reach right about 10 1/4" deep with a 1" cutter. The part will be set up on a 50 taper horizontal. I thought I found a source for the tools that I need to reach this length....using modular screw on heads, as the attached pic shows. Korloy has a carbide shank in their catalog that would allow me to reach this depth and have plenty left to put up in a holder. unfortunatly no stock in the US or Korea. Anyone got a source for some LONG extensions that will allow me to reach this depth AND give me a couple of inches to hold on to? I have looked and I can get there by stacking up extensions, however I would rather have a 1 piece setup. No particular brand loyality, as long as the thing works.

I did notice that Dapra has an 11" long extension that would work but is made of heavy metal (tungsten) rather than carbide. Seems to me that on this much of an overhang, I want as much rigidity as possible, so not sure if heavy metal would work. Screw-On Tool Heads & Modular Extensions | DAPRA

Thoughts/advise?

Thanks!

Attachments

• ScreenShot018.jpg
    ScreenShot018.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 237
Ingersoll -chipsurfer. I have used these in the 3/8 variety with 4" long carbide shanks. They worked very well for what we were doing. A quick look thru their catalog only shows a 3/4 carbide shank @ 8" long. Maybe they can make specials, not sure.

11" carbide extension........Hope your bank account is flush!

Think i would be looking at a modular tooling setup like "Capto" Make the investment and be able to add on for other work, not just one shot..That is the nice thing about "Modular" setups.
Think Capto is more rigid/repeatable than the threaded coupling.
Lots of combinations of base taper holder and cutting ends....

Here is an example run on a 40 taper Deckel reach here was over 12"....Here i used an unfinished blank end and made my own fly cutter holder to suit the job...

db37e4af-ba21-4ce7-8b5e-39a7f89395b5_zps2f41d21a.jpg

DSC01593_zps86d179bd.jpg

Cheers Ross

Capto should have something.
I would think you would be better with a solid carbide em though?

Yeah there are dampened capto to threaded-modular adapters long enough for that, but they're tapered to a bigger diameter at the top so no good if you are working against a vertical wall.

Back