What's new
What's new

Monitor Swap on NTC vmc with Omb

mjk

Titanium
After reading through other threads I felt I had the ability to swap out the burned out display on my 94 NTC vmc fitted with a Fanuc Omb control.
Over the winter it had given a hint of something wrong, a little dimmer and fuzzy, but I thought it was my long hours and older eyes. On a bright spring Saturday morning halfway through a run I walked back to a dead screen and after opening the back of the control enclosure the smell of fried electronics.

Although I found a “turn key” swap that would have fit the original mount, I decided to go with a larger size.
Since I opted for a 15” size that would not read the video signal directly I needed a converter.
I picked the XVGA Box for the converter purchased thru the bay.
This meant deciding where and how to mount both the larger display and the converter.
My other concern was powering both from the control.
A few of the posts I found (non PM) suggested plugging in to a 110 wall circuit.
I decided to power from the machines main bus and mounted a fused transformer in the electrical enclosure to drop the 220>110vac. I hard wired an extension cord to the transformer and snaked the other end with a multi plug ending inside the control enclosure. I did this so that the power supply for the converter and the power cord for the monitor could be “plugged in” and allow for easy future service if needed.
The mount for the converter was fabricated from some rectangular tubing and attached to the original crt mounting adapter. The converter was bolted in place, all the cords were secured with tie wraps.
I attempted to leave as much of the original crt opening in place.
A frame was made from ¼” aluminum and attached with (6) 4-40 screws/nuts
The frame has a removable cover out front that I intend to attach a piece of white board material to for a note pad with dry erase pens.
I used “The Right Stuff” to seal the frame to the control panel.
Deciding how to physically mount the display was challenging.
Pics show what I ended up making.
It allows swinging from facing front to about 30 degrees left.
Swung to the left I can see the progress of a program running from 15’ away.
There are adjustments in all axes of rotation and height.
Sealing the displays power and vga cord going into the control also took a bit of planning.
I ended up running up into the horizontal box tubing and then dropping thru a split nylon clamp.
The set up of the XVGA Box was easy once I had the wiring straight.
The converter came with a molded 9 pin cable but the colors didn’t match the instructions and 1 of the wires was not connected.
I used the provided blank connector and soldered up my own harness.
On the bay I found a Fanuc cable with 2 male Honda 20 pin connectors and a foot of cable already attached to use as a donor end.
For you electronics wizzes this may sound like a no brainer, but all of the grounds for the Fanuc end were required to give me a working signal to the converter.
I had mocked up cables a few time(easy to flip number of pins) and tried with only 1 ground wire going back to the Fanuc side.
I also made the mistake of reading the connector pin diagrams backwards instead of looking at the actual pin numbers.
After hooking up the Red, Blue, Green, Horizontal & Vertical wires and all 5 of the corresponding grounds I had a clear signal.
The 9 pin connector video in connected to the converter has Red, Blue, Green, Horizontal & Vertical and 2 Ground connections. The 2 of the 9 and the 5 of the 20 ground wires were soldered together at one connection.
Once I had a clear signal adjustments to screen size with the converters program was easy.

Benefits: Saved $300+ compared to a turn key original size LCD by using the converter with the 15”
lcd that I have plenty of or $$$$ from Fanuc

Bigger screen, I can see and read the screen from a 15’ away

LCD goes bad, swap out another in a couple minutes

Disadvatages: I have to look up at the screen

Machine isn’t “stock/original” anymore

Monitor resolution is set at 800 x 600

Mike

Thanks to PM member Gregormarwick for some coaching

Attachments

• 20150612_161607.jpg
    20150612_161607.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 81