What's new
What's new

Mori nh5000 how close should the center of pallet be to center of b axis rotation?

I think he wants to know what feature youre indicating on the pallet

Measuring the center bore in the middle of the pallet. Basically that bore in relationship to the pallet cones I guess. I figured it would have been dead nuts.

Spoiled with a 5 axis and then going back to a 4 axis is hell on a guy. Looking into adding dynamic work offset option to the machine but haven't heard back from Mori yet. I imagine a lot is going on over there right now....

I'm getting it off by .003. I figured it should be way closer than that. View attachment 148050
it is called grid shift. i check machine usually weekly. on horizontal you put test bar in spindle. use magnetic base and indicator on pallet zero to test shaft in spindle, move in Z til indicator clear of test shaft, rotate pallet, move back in Z to read indicator see what other side of test bar reads. grid shift adjusts so when zero return or homing done you are centered on table rotation.
usually there is a procedure on how to do grid shift. it often requires turning parameter write enable on and then editing parameters and turning parameter write enable off, powering down and restart, zero return, retest of course (easy to go opposite way)
many machines will go out of calibration .0005" just by being cold and not at running temperature. grid shift should be done after running a warm up program

Mori nh5000 how close should the center of pallet be to center of b axis rota...

it is called grid shift. i check machine usually weekly. on horizontal you put test bar in spindle. use magnetic base and indicator on pallet zero to test shaft in spindle, move in Z til indicator clear of test shaft, rotate pallet, move back in Z to read indicator see what other side of test bar reads. grid shift adjusts so when zero return or homing done you are centered on table rotation.
usually there is a procedure on how to do grid shift. it often requires turning parameter write enable on and then editing parameters and turning parameter write enable off, powering down and restart, zero return, retest of course (easy to go opposite way)
many machines will go out of calibration .0005" just by being cold and not at running temperature. grid shift should be done after running a warm up program

You are confusing center of the pallet with center of rotation?

The bore in the center of the pallet is .0035 off from center of b axis rotation.

You are confusing center of the pallet with center of rotation?

The bore in the center of the pallet is .0035 off from center of b axis rotation.
still use a indicator and if you wanted to adjust you can use a work offset like G55 or grid shift all work coordinate system since grid shift effects G53 which the others offset from
odd center of pallet rotation and bore in center of pallet are not the same

Why whats going on with Mori?

Nothing is wrong. Was just planning on building a bunch of fixtures that use that bore to locate me on center but then I found it wasn't right.

I guess I'll just stick to using a rubber mallet and an hour of indicating it in.

Nothing is wrong. Was just planning on building a bunch of fixtures that use that bore to locate me on center but then I found it wasn't right.

I guess I'll just stick to using a rubber mallet and an hour of indicating it in.
or program a probing operation to do it in less than a minute

or program a probing operation to do it in less than a minute

I don't have dynamic work offset yet so that won't do me any good.

Normally I'm a center of rotation guy but making 2 parts that I already have a ton of time sunk.... I might just use a fixture offset for every rotation. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440964687.157599.jpg

Slap on some edge stops and build fixtures to suit. Then you don't have to worry about stabbing a close fit pin and bore while dangling a heavy ass fixture from the forks of a lift truck (or a crane if you're fancy like that).

Last edited:
Slap on some edge stops and build fixtures to suit. Then you don't have to worry about stabbing a close fit pin and bore while dangling a heavy ass fixture from the forks of a lift truck (or a crane if you're fancy like that).

Normally I throw stuff up and machine it in place. However on this project I'm mounting that big part in the center of the pallet and rotating it around for a 4 axis . No way to machine the fixture to hold the dovetail because I can't rotate the pallet lol.

i had the hydraulic brake fail on an NH4000 in 2008 (6 month old machine at the time).
technician pulled the pallet and tombstone, that i finish machined on the machine, off as a unit. Upon reassembly he tried to leave with it within a few thou. i said no dice, an asked him to get it closer.
.0005 was the end result so to answer your question their is a relatively easy way to get it fixed at the technician level.

Back