Most outrageous CNC repair stories and parts costs ? - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"
    [quote=cnctoolcat;916206]Mazak supports every cnc machine they've ever built,

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Now that's funny! I needed a good laugh!
    Reply With Quote"

"Mazak in the UK will support every machine they have supplied."
    That`s their words.The reality is slightly different.You will get support eventually if you fire of a few emails to Japan and keep reminding Mazak Scotland and England that you are not going away.I started ordering Mazak spares in April 2007.The first delivery of these was January 2008 after putting a lot of pressure on them.That was an electrical drawing.Other parts I have enquired about availability on,no answer.
    I have heard of machines installed new in 2007 still waiting on parts from Mazak after being smashed due to poor training.
    I think if you are a small shop needing a machine to fulfill a contract you should not even consider a Mazak unless you have a backup machine.If you are considering getting into debt to buy a Mazak,paying for it out the machines earnings,think very carefully as a breakdown could land you in serious trouble.
    Mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are a little fish in my neck of the woods, Mazak will fix your machine, but if a big fish calls the local mazak dealer at the same time a tech is at your facility, he drops whatever he is doing in your shop and leaves to get the big fish out of hot water first. This has not happened to me, but this has happened to two different shop owners who are close personal friends. They couldn't believe it! Sure makes the little guy feel disposable.

Silicon Valley, California... + other states & several countries on 3 continents
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"We still support every cnc machine we have ever built".
    Hehe.... It's not necessarily a white lie. I think they are willing to support every machine to their best ability.... they just don't tell "when" they're willing to support it for you. Mazak has their issues and certainly, some distrubutors or tech centers have more problems than others. But all machine builders have issues in my book. If I quit buying a machine because of it, I'd no longer have one because every single one of them dropped the ball somewhere.... But human nature and business sense will steer you to an objective decision in one's mind...

Here's a Mori story.....

Brand new SV-500 vmc (maybe a few months on it). Some Pallet changer problems (because it wasn't set up right to begin with) and the chip conveyor or coolant pumps or something had a bunch of issues. Machine has been running a boat load of Magnesium (you know where this is going) and the tech knew of it the moment he set foot in the door.
    Something made him decide that he needed to grind on the conveyor metal. Before anyone could get over there to stop him (I was rearing to knock the dumb ass to the ground), the mag caught fire and spread through the conveyor and machine lightning fast. It smoked out a 40k sq.ft. shop in about a few seconds flat and the shop was evacuated. Needless to say, the machine burned to the ground. That outfit had to buy us a new machine and some "arrangements" worked out for the shop downtime because of the evacuation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by psychomill View Post

Here's a Mori story.....

Brand new SV-500 vmc (maybe a few months on it). Some Pallet changer problems (because it wasn't set up right to begin with) and the chip conveyor or coolant pumps or something had a bunch of issues. Machine has been running a boat load of Magnesium (you know where this is going) and the tech knew of it the moment he set foot in the door.
    Something made him decide that he needed to grind on the conveyor metal. Before anyone could get over there to stop him (I was rearing to knock the dumb ass to the ground), the mag caught fire and spread through the conveyor and machine lightning fast. It smoked out a 40k sq.ft. shop in about a few seconds flat and the shop was evacuated. Needless to say, the machine burned to the ground. That outfit had to buy us a new machine and some "arrangements" worked out for the shop downtime because of the evacuation.
    Yeowww!

But it would have made a great youtube video...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by psychomill View Post

Here's a Mori story.....

Brand new SV-500 vmc (
    Best VMC Mori ever made. Rock solid machine. We hated going against it.

S

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
    What did he say?
    I talked to David today. There is an old version of the 810D out there that is beyond it's service life. Getting parts for it may be iffy as new parts aren't being made anymore. New part production for it ceased in 2005. He laughed really hard at the $3000 relay though, had never heard of such a thing, unless "The guy had a 400 hp spindle motor on it"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great thread. I think I'm going to sell hamburgers instead. It seems guys like us need to punish themselves with difficult tasks and learning curves that make the Himalayas look like an ant hill. Is ignorance really bliss? I may want ignorance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I'm certainly not the largest Mazak customer. I'm just a small shop that bought a brand new Integrex based on the comments from our local Machine Toolworks salesman that we could get service within 24 hours if we ever had a problem. Ahahahahaha

The guy who installed it had never worked on an Integrex which caused a host of problems that have since cropped up. In the first year it was down for 97 DAYS! waiting for a service tech to show up.

My favorite was after waiting 27 days and being constantly put off the schedule. Apparently the service techs who know anything were at Boeing and kept getting delayed. they eventually sent a token serviceman in to see what he could do. He knew nothing of Integrexes or the Matrix control. When I gripped about the lack of coverage that was supposed to be provided under warranty he politely pulled a copy of the warranty from his kit, highlighted the pertinent section and left.

Look long and hard at the warranty next time BEFORE you buy a Mazak machine.

Let me quote.

WARRANTY
    "End User Warranty Service Contract Agreement"
    1. Warranty. MAZAK warrants that any product shall be free from defects in material or workmanship at the time of tender of delivery. For the period of one (1) year from the date of Original Start-Up of such Product, Mazak will repair or, if determined appropriate by MAZAK, replace any products which is (i) determined by MAZAK to be defective and (ii) is returned within said one (1) year period to MAZAK at its factory at 8025 Production Drive, Florence, Kentucky, or such other place as MAZAK may designate in writing, with all transportation charges prepaid by the BUYER.

Ya, like I'm going to rip it up, ship it back to the factory so they can secure a coil cover that they failed to secure during the original assembly.....

I was more than a little annoyed. I created a web site just for Mazak (www.MazakSucks.com) with a .pdf copy of the warranty, and had the service guy out the next day. It would sure be nice to have the clout of Boeing.... and I suspect.... a spindle uptime performance guarantee.

On the plus side. I did spend an awful lot of time in Mazak maintenance classes, and now our machine is out of warranty. Now when the red light comes on I can dig into it myself and find the root cause and fix the issue. the machine is getting much more reliable and it's very simple to troubleshoot and repair. It a very powerfull, sound design. To bad the support sucks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Are you having a laugh ?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Siemens, huh.

I'm not real impressed with siemens. We're using vacuum pumps that are manufactured
    by a noted reputable company, which sources their motors OEM from Siemens.

Long story short, Siemens designed the starter circuit for their single phase motors
    (which are designed to be dual voltage, 120/240) such that the just don't
    start reliably on the lower voltage. Yep, siemens simply blew the design. Badly.

Basically they start OK when configured for the higher voltage, but they wanted
    to not have to any re-wiring to the start circuit when going to the lower voltage.
    I guess they figured that most users in europe would be 240 so they optimized it
    for that.

The pump manufacturer's suggestion? Leave them running once you get them started.
    "Most of our customers do that."

With the help of other board contributors I doped out the simple start relay circuit and
    modified it to start reliably. Before doing this I had originally figured it was a defective
    potential relay and had them ship me another one. Yep, you guessed it, the one they
    send me had cooked contacts on it, too. The result of the chattering of failed start
    attempts.

Siemens may make a good motor but as far as I'm concerned, they know exactly,
    precicely, ZERO about electrical engineering.

Our group got a nice lunch from the sales rep of the vacuum company when I showed
    him how to fix the problem.

Jim

Seen some cracking posts on here but this one takes the biscuit, One of thee most respected electrical engineering / power generation companies in the world but somehow don't know anything about Electrical Engineering!!! I think you should get a job in a circus you would make a good clown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hasteloy View Post

Seen some cracking posts on here but this one takes the biscuit, One of thee most respected electrical engineering / power generation companies in the world but somehow don't know anything about Electrical Engineering!!! I think you should get a job in a circus you would make a good clown.
    are you the guy from those "Angry Scotsman on a roof" videos?

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    are you the guy from those "Angry Scotsman on a roof" videos?
    Carries a grudge, too. Previous post was eight years old ...

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Few years back the VM1 wouldn't run and over the phone it was diagnosed as the X servo drive. without hesitation the tech said, " give me your visa # and for $4,600.00 US we will have a replacement out to you today." At that time I was working by myself and thought at the cost of the replacement. I asked if there were any repair centers around and maybe get it fixed. He replied that since I was in Canada there was a place in Montreal to call. I get them on the phone and tell them what I have and how much to fix it. He seems reluctant saying it wasn't really worth it as they were cheap enough new, and proceeds to give me a price of $1,200.00 Canadian He then tells me to go through all the codes on the drive to find out it was fine anyway and I needed a $300.00 US from Hurco resistor. Resistor was probably worth $50.00 but I didn't have time to go chasing one from somewhere else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doesn't Hurco use Yaskawa drives? Lots of places in the US to repair those.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They do, at but since I had been trying to diag. the problem on the phone with the tech and he gave me a place in Canada to call I tried them first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Siemens-Fanuc, which is easier to learn?

Back when Fanuc and Siemens were together as General Numeric, I did their classes in Chicago and I found Fanuc to be easier and also more logical, Even though I am from Germany and had my apprenticeship there.
    On another matter, look at www.doccnc.com.
    I have a series of CNC SVDs that teach all parts of CNClathe and mill programming and setup.
    Look them over, the right to sell them worldwide is avaliable, make an offer to sell them worldwide.
    Call me at 614-888-8466 for any detailed questions:
    Heinz Putz.
    with
    Quote Originally Posted by metlmunchr View Post
    On the reasonable side, I bought a seal kit for a chuck cylinder from Kitagawa a couple days ago for a 25 yr old lathe. $104.

The guy at Kitagawa said they keep kits in stock for newer cylinders, but would need a couple days to ship this one since they make up kits for old ones to order. Granted there's probably no more than $15 worth of o-rings in the kit, but by the time they generate the parts list, pick and pack the parts, and send it thru shipping, I'd doubt they clear $25 on the sale.

When you consider the convenience factor as compared to tearing the thing apart, measuring all the o-rings, ordering minimum quantity packages of each size, hoping there's no oddball seal that you can't get elsewhere, and having the cylinder torn apart for a week or so, they could likely raise their kit prices by 50% or more and never get the first complaint.

16. Likes Ox liked this post