What's new
What's new

What would you consider low hours on a VMC?

bellinoracing

Hot Rolled
Well I looked at a 1996 lagunamatic 3516 machine yesterday and it has over 9,000 hours on it. I Would you call that a lot, average, or low hours because I have no idea? Also the hour meter only went out 4 digits so i guess it could have had 19,000, 29,000, or who knows. Does the hours add up whenever the machine is on or just when the spindle is turning?

Thanks

We fire up our cnc's and leave them on 24/7 so the clock is ticking, I would be more concerned with spindle hours personally. Some machines might not have a seperate meter for that, some of ours do, some don't. Sort of like a high mileage car, I would rather have one with lots of highway miles compared low miles but all city driving, I don't think the hour meter is a good indicator imo.

8,760 hours = 1 year

So 9,000 hours is about 1 year and 10 days of on time. Thats really nothing for a 14 year old machine. its been on 1 out of every 14 hours... thats less then 2 hours per day...

But if you are talking FEED/CUTTING time, Thats ALOT!!!

The wrong guy on the machine for a few minutes could be worse then the right guy after 10,000 hours.

I think you may be able to use as an indication of what may need to be replaced, repaired etc...but only a general idea.

Answer...I don't know, but it would be subjective at best.

My 1989 Hurco

those are servo-on hours so control hours would be greater, and cut hours less, you'd think.
If you buy that machine, I'd check the auto-oiling. If auto oiling isn't working lots of things are going to be worn out no matter how low hours it is.

Our Bosto 312 1982 : 39391
Backlash very reasonable and still on original screws
Watch the Bijur pump motors, ours stopped for a couple
weeks until I noticed while cleaning one evening :willy_nilly:
Love that Vactra 2 !

Back