What's new
What's new

Beautiful 2005 Fadal VMC 5020, only bid to $16K ??

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Fadal VMC 5020A HT - eBay (item 270586035523 end time Jun-08-10 08:13:28 PDT)

Any thoughts on why this was only bid to $16K ? The Buy it Now price at ~$32K seems quite reasonable for what it is, to me. Part of it was the sellers low feedback I guess...but what else is it ? Is 20 inches of Y travel just not enough if you have 50 inches X ? Or ? :confused:

Meanwhile there are ads like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1995-FADAL-VMC-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48369faa53

and this...

Fadal 1997 6030 VMC Machining Center N0 reserve - eBayou (item 390112540677 end time Jun-27-10 14:32:07 PDT)

Larger yes, but way older.... :crazy:

My guess, and I've bought a Fadal on e-bay. When buying a machine on e-bay, it happens fast, you have to have your ducks in a row, you either have to have cash or a loan already lined up(that eliminates a lot of bidders). Its also a crap shoot, who the hell knows what you are going to get.

The Fadal I bought on E-bay was from the guy that you have listing the '97 6030. It was a '93 4020, extended Z and TSC. He had it in his e-bay store for $34.9k or so and with about 30 seconds of googling, I found his website based on his user name and location and he had it listed there for $5k less. He put it up for auction and I got it for $12.9k.

I think a lot of dealers use the cheaper buy it now and store listings to get you to their website.

On that machine itself, its a 5020A The A means its a linear way machine and not a box way machine. Not a desirable trait in a Fadal, and fairly rare, with good reason. That may be a bit low, but I wouldn't have paid than that. If it was a 5020 (<-- no A) it probably would have gone up close to and maybe into the $30's.

I think that the value on Fadal machines took a big hit when MAG shut them down. I have heard of a couple of other nice ones going for way less than what I would have thought, but then again, everything took a hit with the manufacturing economy going in the crapper. Seems that garage sized machines have held their value somewhat well, but a lot of the bigger ones really took a hit. When I bought my Okumas, I was the only one who showed up at the sale with any interest in them.

On that machine itself, its a 5020A The A means its a linear way machine and not a box way machine. Not a desirable trait in a Fadal, and fairly rare, with good reason. That may be a bit low, but I wouldn't have paid than that. If it was a 5020 (<-- no A) it probably would have gone up close to and maybe into the $30's.

The "A" means that it is a linear way in X and Y, but box way in Z. (the "L" suffix indicated linear way in X, Y, and Z):cheers:

Note 10HP on a 50x20?! The FLA is only 50A, my tree is 100A and it has a 15HP cont, 20HP 30min spindle motor. It also has a BT40 spindle, who the heck ordered this thing with all the wrong options? For mold makers (like they want) you want weight, box ways, and HP. This machine is basically a Haas VF3, with less HP. If all you run is Al, this machine could be right, but having tooling that interchanges with your other machines is a big factor.

I don't know about 2005 linear guide Fadal's, but the late 1990's are completely rickety. As others have indicated, I don't think that this helped.

Jeff

Back