What's new
What's new

Multi-Axis Fillets in CNC Pocket Milling

maxwellhouse72

Plastic
Tricky Fillets in CNC Pocket Milling

Hi all,

I am designing a part to be CNC milled from Aluminum. The part features a set of multi-axis fillets in one corner that I am concerned about. Shown in Photo 1 is an ISO view of the area in question. Photos 2 and 3 are top and front views. All measurements are in Inches.

My biggest concern is properly machining the R.094 fillet in the front view while maintaining the 2.0 degree draft angle and all other fillets. This large fillet is necessary for fitting a flanged connector into this part that is filleted.

I am open to recommendations of simplifying this geometry, I understand it is a bit complicated.

Thanks!

Edit: The resolution of my photos is only showing as thumbnail quality, currently trying to resolve this, will post links below.

Photo 1 (Imgur link)
Photo 2 (Imgur link)
Photo 3 (Imgur link)

If you are planning on a waterline programming strategy, I think you should be fine. (caveat: assuming the correct tooling for the job)

Given that you will want to finish with a mill smaller than a Ø3/16, I would think finishing with a 4mm or 5/32 ball mill will give you good enough stepover in terms of finishing time, and still allow you to walk around the compound radii.

E.T.A. I don't know if that helped or not....:o

Depending on the rest of the part it doesn't look like a "multi axis fillet". In the 2nd pic if you rotated the part 90º back on Z it would turn into a simple 2 axis path with a .094"r bull nose cutter.

Are you asking about machining or designing?

I see what you mean, by "multi-axis" I meant fillets of close proximity of different axis. I will edit to title to reflect this. The rest of the part features mostly features that will be machined in the Z-axis.

Would it be a 0.094" bull nose cutter making the first pass, then a small ball nose end mill creating the 0.031 feature? I am unfamiliar with "bull nose cutters."

I see what you mean, by "multi-axis" I meant fillets of close proximity of different axis. I will edit to title to reflect this. The rest of the part features mostly features that will be machined in the Z-axis.

Would it be a 0.094" bull nose cutter making the first pass, then a small ball nose end mill creating the 0.031 feature? I am unfamiliar with "bull nose cutters."

Hard to tell from the pictures. If the .031 feature is an internal radius then obviously the tool would need a smaller or equal radius. If it is external, then you can Surface whatever radius is called out, so long as it clears other features.

A Bullnose cutter is a regular Endmill with radii ground on the corners.

If you really want a comprehensive answer to the Machinability of the part, I'm afraid you are going to have provide more information on the entirety of the part. Probably don't want to post a full Print, so I don't know what to tell ya.

R

I don't see any problem with finishing the wall and connecting radius with a 1/16" ball endmill.

That way you could do the .094 radius, 2 degree angle, and the .031 fillet.

Depending on the rest of the part it doesn't look like a "multi axis fillet". In the 2nd pic if you rotated the part 90º back on Z it would turn into a simple 2 axis path with a .094"r bull nose cutter.

Are you asking about machining or designing?

Yes, or this would be better if you had access. Only it would have to be a 3/16" max dia. endmill with .031 corners.

Either way it's machinable.

What tool would be used to create the .094 radius fillet? A ball nose end mill from above? This is a pocketed part, so it would have to be from above.

First off since this is the design stage, is ask yourself if all of that is 100% needed to do the job.
Functional and appearance are often 2 different things, so if you are adding features for looks, does it make the job a pain to run?

Back