What's new
What's new

Multi-Vise setup for the Tormach 770

RedneckPhysics

Plastic
Hey All,

I'm in the process of purchasing all sorts of accessories and tooling for a new Tormach 770, and have gotten a bit stuck on selecting an initial workholding solution.

This is a university-owned machine, used for making all sorts of Electrical-Engineering related prototypes... so I'm not looking for anything production oriented (not that you'd be doing that with a 770 anyways!). We'll be machining some longer parts, so we might take the 14" x-travel to the limit on occasion. Other than that, I don't know exactly what situations we'll encounter, but it would be nice to be prepared. I'll be ordering a collet vise for round stock, and some 4-axis applications, but mostly, we'll be using round and square stock with 3-axis milling techniques. It would be nice to have a precision CNC vise or two for vertical workholding as well.

After experiencing the Tormach branded 5" vise on a friend's 1100, I wasn't terribly impressed. It took me a total of about 12 to 15 minutes to successfully seat 4 parts... and even then, I had to run 1 with loose parallels. I'm looking for a step up in quality... but maybe not something as expensive as a brand new Kurt 3400V/3600V. Also, the Tormach 770 has a pretty small table...26" x 8"... so it's not going to handle the length of most 6" vises. There's only 1" to 1.5" of rear table overhang before the vise will crash into the z-axis way cover.

Since we'll be doing long parts, and since wide vises aren't going to fit on our table along the Y-axis, I'm thinking of getting a matched set 4" vises for the majority of our work. Two would be nice for supporting ~10" pieces, but there is room for 3, to support a billet along the full travel. Would this be a good way to go? I really don't have any experience with multiple vise setups, so I'm not sure if it's overkill or not. Would there be any advantages to vise-holding vs. clamping directly to the table at that point?

Along the same lines, would it be a pain in the rear to set-up 3 vises? I've not done so before. Would it take special metrology tools? I imagine I would only be taking down and setting-up two vises for most of our parts.

As far as a potential purchase, I'm thinking of Glacern's GPV-412 4" precision vise (Link). Looks like a good middle ground between a solid design, and a good price point, when compared to Kurt. They do bed height matching on multi-vise orders, which is awesome. If I were to buy the vises separately, (say I order 2 now, and need 1 more later), what are the prospects for getting a properly matched bed height?

Here's a quick model I made, comparing the sizes of the GPV4-12 and GPV-615 on the 770's table. These are bounding boxes, not including the screw spindle or the extra bit of jaw plate on top:

PerspFront.jpg

TopWSpindle.jpg

I kept the spindle (white round part over the vises) in the top-down view.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give me!!

Many Thanks,

Mike

I've been using a pair of Vertex Super Open 4" (actually 110 mm) vices for many years. Bought to use on a machine with a slightly smaller table than your Tormach. Normally used one complete with rotary base but a pair fitted easily without bases. These days I run a Bridgeport so the stay on the rotating bases.

See VERTEX-MILLING-GRINDING-TOOLING-CNC-LATHE-GRINDER for factory information, really crappy site quality.

These are basically a screw version of a hydraulic type. Screw travel is about 2 1/2" but there are three positions for the nut giving three opening ranges of 0 to 2 1/2", 2 1/2" to 5" and 5" to 8 1/2" nominal so its a lot more versatile than the standard type. Hefty through pin sets the nut position so changeover is easy. Won't hang on like a Kurt but I've not lost a job yet. Had a few shift but that was operator error! Usually optimistic cut on less than strong job.

Dunno where you'd get them from or how much. Haven't seen them in the UK for ages. I suspect I got mine uber cheap at £50.00 each (in late 1980's I think) as the pair that arrived comprised one Vertex and one Chinee iffy quality lookalike. Chinee lookalike went back as the height was unacceptably different and another Vertex came down. Height matched to a couple or three tenths which was darn good for random production. Fairly sure I paid Chinee prices for the much better Vertex!

Found a couple of pictures

Top View.jpg Side View.jpg

Clive

The PCNC 770 will handle 2 vises...get the cnc vises from Tormach they are ground on all sides...so you can mount 90* to table...a 6" vise is way to big for the 770 table...don't even think about it...

The PCNC 770 will handle 2 vises...get the cnc vises from Tormach they are ground on all sides...so you can mount 90* to table...a 6" vise is way to big for the 770 table...don't even think about it...

Did you read the original post? I think he tried that already...

"After experiencing the Tormach branded 5" vise on a friend's 1100, I wasn't terribly impressed. It took me a total of about 12 to 15 minutes to successfully seat 4 parts... and even then, I had to run 1 with loose parallels."

Did you read the original post? I think he tried that already...

"After experiencing the Tormach branded 5" vise on a friend's 1100, I wasn't terribly impressed. It took me a total of about 12 to 15 minutes to successfully seat 4 parts... and even then, I had to run 1 with loose parallels."

Tormach sells several vises, but the OP is probably talking about their Conquest Magnum 5-in Kurt clone (but made in the USA) or their 5-in machinist vise which looks a bit like a grinding vise. They also sell some grinding vises in several sizes. Hard to tell from the OP's post which of the Tormach 5-in vises he is talking about, but he appears to have disappeared so it probably no longer matters. FWIW, I've had no complaints about the Tormach embossed Magnum Conquest on my mill. It seems as good as my Kurt 3-in vise.

all I can say is I've used the vises without any issue...without knowing what his parts were and set up was no conclusion can be made from his statement...ya can always buy a more expensive vise but that may not help...

Thanks all, for the advice!

Tormach sells several vises, but the OP is probably talking about their Conquest Magnum 5-in Kurt clone (but made in the USA) or their 5-in machinist vise which looks a bit like a grinding vise. They also sell some grinding vises in several sizes. Hard to tell from the OP's post which of the Tormach 5-in vises he is talking about, but he appears to have disappeared so it probably no longer matters. FWIW, I've had no complaints about the Tormach embossed Magnum Conquest on my mill. It seems as good as my Kurt 3-in vise.

Sorry for the long response time! Yes, the vises I tried were the Tormach 5-inch precision CNC style (90 deg. mountable), on an 1100. (Here's a link to the Tormach product page) I'm not sure how many clamping cycles the vise had seen, but it was used on the average, 4 days a week for 3 years straight. We even adjusted the vise a bit, but it didn't show much improvement. Both of the operators there suggested I look into a higher quality vise for this new 770 setup.

Also, we happen to have a surplus ~3" grinding vise on hand... pretty nice little vise, perhaps it will come in handy for smaller work, and in a pinch, using in concert with a pair of bigger vises.

To answer a few of the other concerns RE: the 6" Glacern... yes, I agree, it's far too big for the Tormach! I don't think I made it clear in my original post, sorry for that. The picture says it all...

The .6" or so of rear overhang on the 4" Glacerns should not be a problem. The guys at Tormach got back to me with some hard measurements. Great customer service!

I looked into the Kurt Versatile Lock 3400V (4"), great looking product. Gives .75" greater opening than the Glacerns, and should be of tip-top quality. Unfortunately, the rear overhang would be about 1.133", just placing it into the crash zone. :(

Not sure if there's a way to move the vise forward on the table at all... but with centered clamping on the slot ways, it's just a little too big.

At the moment then, it sounds like a pair of Glacern GPV412's are a good blend between quality, budget friendliness, and fit for the 770.

Back