What's new
What's new

Nakamura with Fanuc 11 - ethernet connection

the spin doctor

Cast Iron
Now that my Nakamura-Tome is making parts, I need to be able to send programs to it via the ethernet connection that was used by the prior shop. So far, I have not been able to figure out how to begin the process. I have an ethernet cable connected to a router but what do I do to send a program from the control to the PC so I can identify baud rate etc using Dostek software on the PC. My machine uses a Fanuc 11 control and the settings are set for RS-232 in and out. I will probably have to connect directly to the computer ethernet port first and later figure out how to go through a router. Now Dostek is not recognizing the ethernet port.

Thanks
Keith

"I think it would be easier to just use your RS232. Get a cable, and you're ready to rock. "
from hdrider63

Is there a cable to convert the ethernet plug to serial plug? I don't see a serial connector on the machine, just an ethernet connector.

Then do I switch the machine to tape or what to send and receive?

Thanks

I have discovered that the ethernet connection is just an adapter on the rs232 connector labelled with Predator CNC as the source. I have connected the port to an available com port on my computer and have attempted to use Dostek software to communicate but the control only has tape, mdi, edit and when I try tape to read it says something is turned off and an alarm occurs. I do have a Fanuc 6 on my mill but that control has a read button so I am at a loss for how to begin. The users manual for the 11 control says nothing about serial communication, darn...

Thanks
Keith

When I first read your post referring to an Ethernet connection with an 11 series Fanuc, I had to refer to my notes before replying, as I was fairly sure Ethernet was not available on that control.

Some pundits use an RJ plug at one end of the cable to hook into switch boxes, but eventually, it has to connect to the PC’s com port.

To send to, and receive programs from the control, you use the Edit mode. The fact that it has a Tape mode is a bonus, because you use Tape mode when drip feeding programs that are too big for the memory of the machine.

My bet is that the alarm you are getting reads something like, “Data set ready signal of Rs232-C interface is turned off”; post the error number and I’ll be able to tell you what it means. If I’m correct, the plug pin out at the machine end is wrong, not plugged in fully, or the cable from the connector on the machine is not connected to its PCB board.

If this is the error that you’re getting, the first thing to check is the plug at the machine end, as it needs the following pins bridged to keep the machines Uart happy, they are 4 to 5 and 6 to 8 and 20. The complete pin out for the cable is as follows:

Machine End ---------------- PC End
DB25 Connector ------------- DB9 Connector
2 ------------------------------ 2
3 ------------------------------ 3
7 ------------------------------ 5
4 and 5 bridged
6, 8 and 20 bridged

DB25 Connector ------------- DB25 Connector
2 ------------------------------ 3
3 ------------------------------ 3
7 ------------------------------ 7
4 and 5 bridged
6, 8 and 20 bridged

The above cable will allow you to use XonXoff handshaking, look at parameter #5110; if the control has been set up for XonXoff, this parameter setting will be either 1 or 3.

Some communication software can check the comms settings by scanning a short data steam sent to it by the machine’s control. If this is not the case with your software, you will need to check parameters to determine the stop bits and baud rate set at the machine. Most machines of this vintage used “e,7,1” for the parity, data and stop bits; these are setting you need to set at the PC end, along with the baud rate setting of the machine.

Best regards,

Bill

Sorry, the pin out for a DB25 to DB25 should be as follows, I made a typing error in the previous post.

DB25 Connector ------------- DB25 Connector
2 ------------------------------ 3
3 ------------------------------ 2
7 ------------------------------ 7
4 and 5 bridged
6, 8 and 20 bridged

Pins 2 and 3 are the transmit and receive lines, accordingly, transmit on one side needs to be connected to receive on the other.

Pin 2 to pin 2 and 3 to 3 is correct when connecting DB9 to DB25 because pin 2 is transmit data on a DB25 plug and receive data on a DB9.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill!

It is making more sense with your post! I will make a cable tomorrow. Is this a null modem cable that could be made by connecting a standard serial cable and a null modem adapter placed on one end?

Edit mode and the proper cable but do you know the key strokes to get the machine ready to receive or send a program?

Thanks so much!

Keith

I had the same question comparing a Fanuc 6 to a Fanuc OT. In edit mode, you would press O (program number) output (output key) to send data from the control to a PC. To load data, eit mode, press "Input" to read the data and then send from the PC.
Maybe the 11 is similar.

I had the same question comparing a Fanuc 6 to a Fanuc OT. In edit mode, you would press O (program number) output (output key) to send data from the control to a PC. To load data, eit mode, press "Input" to read the data and then send from the PC.
Maybe the 11 is similar.
I have a Fanuc 6m and it has read and input but the Fanuc 11t only has start, reset, and there is an input but I don't think there is an output key. Edit mode and O(prog#) plus input may just do the trick once I have a good cable. Can't wait to try!

Thanks!

You have READ and PUNCH keys, but they are softkeys below the display. Choose the program screen, press the right softkey until you see the read and punch SK. Press READ, then ALL. If you want to output, get to the page that has the PUNCH SK, press the letter O, the 4-digit program number, then the PUNCH SK.

This info is in the Operator Manual. Additionally, right near the last of the book, are a couple of pages that condense all the keystrokes for major functions.

Lastly, the 11 never had ethernet. Do not confuse the use of networking cable (CAT 5, etc.) with a serial interface. There are adapters (perhaps what you have) that have on one end an RJ45 female connector that accepts an ethernet cable, and on the other end a DB-25 male that will plug into the machine's serial port. These are convenient, but I think a poor substitute for proper RS-232 cabling and connectors. They are fragile and very subject to poor connections. (Just made a service call last week because of this very issue.) Very often, the CAT cabling doesn't have shielding and tends to have a less robust jacket. After all, it's expected to lay in offices, or hang on walls, not be near a machine with exposure to chips, swarf, etc., or connected to an operator panel that regularly swivels. I strongly recommend proper cabling and connectors. The cost isn't much more and the increased reliability is well woth it.

I have a Fanuc 6m and it has read and input but the Fanuc 11t only has start, reset, and there is an input but I don't think there is an output key. Edit mode and O(prog#) plus input may just do the trick once I have a good cable. Can't wait to try!

Thanks!

A null modem cable should do the job, but the cable I have described will work, its referred to as a Loop Back configuration, because the bridged pins on the machine end loop back to keep voltage high on pins required for the Control to be able to send and receive without using Hardware handshaking.

There are two versions of the 11 series control, one with a 9" CTR and one with a 14" CRT. You will get to the correct keys by using the Operation menu key at the extreme right of the row of buttons below the screen, and the Function menu key at the extreme left. The soft keys you are looking for are labeled Read and Punch. If you can't find these keys, Post back and I'll give you a blow by blow sequence.

Once you get the comms sorted and you're able to Upload and Download programs to the control, to operate the machine in drip mode is even easier with regards to buttons to find and push. Your software needs to be able to be put in Send mode and then wait for an a signal from the machine. If that is possible, then you simple put the machine in Tape mode, get your software ready to send and initiate the send from there, then just press the cycle start button on the control as you would when running a program from memory. All functions, such as single block etc work as normal. The only limitation is that if the program uses Sub programs, the Subs need to be loaded in the Control's memory.

Best regards,

Bill

Thanks guys! I was confused by the ethernet plug but now it seems so obvious especially since the adaptor on the machine changes from 25 db to rj45. Once I have the cable made, I can fool with the softkeys in a much more intelligent was to decipher the baud rate. I am so excited to get back to cad/cam and computer editing - sick of typing from the control! Hopefully today will be a day of success thanks to your input!

Keith

Parameter #5110 is set to 1

When I try to read using soft keys, I get an error "SR 820 DR is off" I am using the null modem cable but will go now and make a new cable to try again. Using e,7,1 and will try some other baud rates.

Thanks
Keith

Thanks Bill and Metaltech, I am in business sending and receiving programs!!!!
Just needed a cable and knowing about the softkeys. Dostek was able to discern the
baud rate of 9600 and e,7,1 was correct.

Keith

Parameter #5110 is set to 1

When I try to read using soft keys, I get an error "SR 820 DR is off" I am using the null modem cable but will go now and make a new cable to try again. Using e,7,1 and will try some other baud rates.

Thanks
Keith

Hi Keith,
This is the error I guessed in my first post. SR820 is Data Set Ready signal of RS232-C interface 1 turned off. The 1 in this statement refers to the Read Punch device corresponding to device 1 set in 5110. Device 1 uses control codes DC1 - DC4 and feed is punched. DC1 and DC3 are Xon and Xoff respectively.

Use the cable configuration I specified and it will turn the DSR pin on.

As 5110 is set to one, check 5111 to get the number of stop bits the control is using, and 5112 for the baud rate. 5112 will probably bet set to 10 or 11, which equates to 4800 and 9600 baud rate respectively. Set the baud rate in your software to correspond to the setting number of 5112, if 10 then the baud rate set in your software will 4800

Also check parameter 20 and 21, these should both be 1 if 5110 is 1

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill, All is well, and I have already been making a complex part with a downloaded program. The cable worked right away and Dostek software identified the settings automatically. I can now upload and download with ease! What a relief! I certainly appreciate the expert advice from you and Mr Metaltech! I don't know what I would have done otherwise. Thanks again!

Keith

I can now upload and download with ease!

Glad it's working. Thanks for posting the results. Too often the OP never comes back and says it worked or didn't. It's really frustrating to sometimes spend several minutes typing a suggestion, and then not hear whether it helped, or that my advice was totally wrong. It makes me wonder if I wasted my time, so I really appreciate the followup. Good luck with the parts.

mt

Back