What's new
What's new

Name brand inspection tooling worth it??

SmlG54

Aluminum
Hi all, just got a new job. Pretty darn good job. I have an "empty" tool box. Obviously machining inspection equipment can be super pricey, as much as you want to spend basically. Someone just told me about cars, "dont cheap out on the spark plugs, wires, and electrical stuff". I can't afford to stock an empty tool box with all top of the line. I do mostly CNC lathe work right now but also know how to program and operate mills. But lathe mostly at this shop.

Does anyone have any tool recommendations that it is worth the money to spend for good names (ST, MIT, BS...) and other tools where one could save a little money???? Thanks all.

Hi all, just got a new job. Pretty darn good job. I have an "empty" tool box. Obviously machining inspection equipment can be super pricey, as much as you want to spend basically. Someone just told me about cars, "dont cheap out on the spark plugs, wires, and electrical stuff". I can't afford to stock an empty tool box with all top of the line. I do mostly CNC lathe work right now but also know how to program and operate mills. But lathe mostly at this shop.

"Inspection" implies company-supplied, and under a regular calibration regime, AND NOT operator furnished.

"New Job", before I went overboard on spend, I'd not be embarrassed to have a chat with my next-higher as to what their policy is, and what they reasonably expect you to furnish for day-to-day tasking. Some places do not even ALLOW staff to bring in their own tools, let alone rely on them.

All that said? I "collect" Hamilton, Dorsey, Tesa, Compac, P&W, B&S, Scherr-Tumico, Lufkin, Mauser, Mahr,... actually AVOID Starrett.

But... for earning the actual crust, current century?

Mitutoyo have never let me down for "permanent" metrology, nor do expect them to start to do.

H&H Industrial Chinese for dirt, coolant, hammer-blows, stepped on twice after dropped once, lent out never to return, pitched in the garbidge can expendables.

No down-time, just go unwrap a fresh one, they are that cheap. "Convenience" grade, though. Not "inspection" grade.

Safe to start there, branch out only with further research as you learn and grow.

I see. Thank you. My "inspection" is just normal in process inspection as an "operator" and not QC per se. I just don't know whether to spend money on 0-6 mitutoyo od mic and "skimp" on calipers or vice versa

I see. Thank you. My "inspection" is just normal in process inspection as an "operator" and not QC per se. I just don't know whether to spend money on 0-6 mitutoyo od mic and "skimp" on calipers or vice versa

Calipers are handy, but flex. Love them much for convenience, trust them less.

Money is sore tight, there is a surprisingly decent set of 0-6" with standards and thermally insulated frames, tenths reading, carbide faced... made in China. Yah. I know. But I have a set, I have other mics, and other standards, too, of course. They are not bad kit at all, just have a less than stellar BOX.

Look for the squarish B&S style frames that resemble a "hub" mic rather than the rounded "C".
Way handier when you have to work in from the edge of rectangular stock, or along the length of a complex part, end-to-end or feature ledge to another feature, rather than "just" the diameter of a pure round.

Main thing to remember is that you are not limited by some Government ration to only ever owning ONE set of anything. Buy better whenever a good value crosses your eye.

Eventually, you shall have to move out of the house to live rough in the snow and freezing rain for all the metrology gear filling it to overflowing.

Not to worry. Have no fear.

It is a very nice feeling whilst dying of exposure to know that all that lovely and precious metrology gear is still indoors, warm, dry, and corrosion-free in the bale of VPI paper you laid-by!

I figure I've got one more summer of mild weather yet, out in the back garden, so no complaints - it has been a grand ride!

:)

("empty toolbox"? That's about as useless as an empty whiskey bottle. I never brought home an EMPTY whiskey bottle in my LIFE. Must be breeding from each other?)

With all due respect. I only understood 50% of what you said. :)
I do understand the flex of calipers and that is what Im leaning towards spending the most on (due to constant usage)
I cant "afford" plus/minus .003" with high use. Just wondering what other machinist think about saving money but still getting quality when quality is needed.

With all due respect. I only understood 50% of what you said. :)
I should hire you, then. I am stumped at half that percentage!
I cant "afford" plus/minus .003" with high use.

.003" is not challenging. "tenths" mics are overkill for working to a third of that. Having "standards" and USING them is how you compensate for wear or being knocked around, so "high use" isn't a big deal.

Carbide tips, there isn't much wear unless you are in grinder dust all day.

Tenths-reading mics are also "future-proofing" for the time coming when you will need better.
Downside is they are slightly more challenging to read rapidly than .001"-reading mics.

Digitals are good. Just not often good AND also cheap. "Pick one" IOW.

Used measuring tools can be lousy to outright GREAT.

More good than bad if you pay close attention. Read the website of Long Island Indicator on the goods they service. They know what can be repaired effectively and what isn't worth trying to fix. I don't want, new, what they won't fix.

You can listen to what you like but I personally like Starrett as far as some of their tools go, brand new not so much but I think a lot of things are going down hill these days in the global market system. That's not to say I don't have many other brands at my disposal including Diatest, Mahr, Etalon, Lufkin, S-T, B&S, Interrapid, and a few others and yes, some Mituyoyo. Something that bothers me is getting a tool like a Mitutoyo multi anvil thread mic that costs several hundred bucks in a cheap plastic case that has a hinge consisting of the plastic folding instead of a nice wooden box leaves a lot to be desired. Half the tools listed in the other posters reply haven't been made for 25 years and others near half a century so I don't know what he knows?
As far as it goes used tools can be a bargain and many can be found as new old stock for 25 cents on the dollar on ebay and other venues, may need a shot of Starrett Tool and Instrument Oil to work like new but will hold tolerance to whatever a new tool will.
Dan

You can listen to what you like but I personally like Starrett as far as some of their tools go, brand new not so much but I think a lot of things are going down hill these days in the global market system. That's not to say I don't have many other brands at my disposal including Diatest, Mahr, Etalon, Lufkin, S-T, B&S, Interrapid, and a few others and yes, some Mituyoyo. Something that bothers me is getting a tool like a Mitutoyo multi anvil thread mic that costs several hundred bucks in a cheap plastic case that has a hinge consisting of the plastic folding instead of a nice wooden box leaves a lot to be desired. Half the tools listed in the other posters reply haven't been made for 25 years and others near half a century so I don't know what he knows?
As far as it goes used tools can be a bargain and many can be found as new old stock for 25 cents on the dollar on ebay and other venues, may need a shot of Starrett Tool and Instrument Oil to work like new but will hold tolerance to whatever a new tool will.
Dan

Closer to 50 to 75 years than 25, Dan. Many are older yet.

My 0-1" Mitutoyo mic was $ 9.00 in the early 1960's. New ones look the same, measure to the same specs, appear to have thinner frost chrome plating is all.

You mailed it. Long years of competitive pressure and tiny increments of cost cutting have been adding-up. Old-line brands have been buying-in more and more of what they no longer make.

The older goods of the several top-tier makers were superbly made, and remain as accurate as brand-new as far as "all mechanical" metrology goes.

Electronics are a whole 'nuther arena, but tight budget? Gotta start somewhere both useful and affordable.

Something goes pear-shaped, mechanical 0-6" mics? Probably see it / feel it. Maybe correct it. ELSE go and get another mic. Learning "feel" is good in general, too.

Electronics? Great stuff. But could surprise a less experienced hand, and he might not even know it.

Why do you have to buy your own inspection equipment? Surely if a company wishes you to produce components for them, they should buy you the equipment to do the job? Are they expecting you to buy your own turning tools and inserts also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what I started with:
0-3 Mitutoyo mics .0001 w/ratchet thimble
0-6 Mitutoyo depth mics
0-6 Mitutoyo dial calipers .100/rev
Interapid indicator .0005 divisions

Misc hand tools

Here's what I started with:
0-3 Mitutoyo mics .0001 w/ratchet thimble
0-6 Mitutoyo depth mics
0-6 Mitutoyo dial calipers .100/rev
Interapid indicator .0005 divisions

Misc hand tools

Good list. Add one more item.

For a time, I had Starrett tubular INSIDE mics, 1 1/2" to 12". And not much else.

FROM the inside mics - which I could vet from "company" standards - I'd have to set old-skewl OD spring calipers for the larger sizes. Then motor-off to the tool crib, sign a chit to draw a set of OD mics to go final, carry them back once the Foreman had OK'ed the job.

Big work on old lathes took a while, we did a lot of bores, so ID mics were all I needed some shifts. It wasn't a trip made all that often.

Then I started getting a few more paychecks and could start filling-in the list.

Best to find out what the company NEEDS you to have.

"All possible" metrology won't stop at filling "many" toolboxes.

Reminds me.. I need a few more metric thread mics ..

:)

My opinion...buy used. Your dollar goes MUCH further. I don't care if my micrometer (or most tools) is 30 years old as long as its in good condition, it will be just as good.

I was very lucky and bought nearly all my tools from people that were retiring. Just be on the look out for deals. Craigslist, auctions, ebay, garage sales etc.

Does anyone have any tool recommendations that it is worth the money to spend for good names (ST, MIT, BS...) and other tools where one could save a little money???? Thanks all.

In my opinion there are two types of machinists, cooks and chefs. The cook earns a living machining but usually does not go out of his way to excel. Many are good machinists most just get by. The chef is in love with the trade and does everything he can to seek perfection and expand his knowledge. It is not in the DNA of a chef to purchase cheap tools. So the answer to your question lies in what kind of machinist you are.

Buy used. Craig's list, ebay, and pawn shops. I've been at this for 18 years and my 0 to 6 starrett have "Beaver" etched into them , along with tracking numbers from some shop's calibration system. It bothers me that this is the only job I've ever had and I am using second hand mics I got for 15% the cost of new but they are accurate and serve just as well as a brand new set would so buying new would be a waste. My advise in a nut shell - Get quality used mics - get off brand digital calipers a good machinist never would trust a caliper no matter what logo is stamped on it anyway.

In my opinion there are two types of machinists, cooks and chefs. The cook earns a living machining but usually does not go out of his way to excel. Many are good machinists most just get by. The chef is in love with the trade and does everything he can to seek perfection and expand his knowledge. It is not in the DNA of a chef to purchase cheap tools. So the answer to your question lies in what kind of machinist you XXXX.

..are now, or seek to become.

Well said!

Tools won't pick a Chef or create one by their presence. Can't BUY this lifestyle with decorations.

He first has to have the desire and motivation to select the tools, understand, expand. Create.

Look for some used 0-6" mics, and buy a NEW set of 6" or 12" dial calipers.
DO NOT get the ones that have a .200" revolution dial, those are trash. You want .100" rev dial.
Personally I've had a set of 12" Starett dial calipers for 20+ years and they are still in perfect working condition.
Once you save up some more money,then you can buy a new set of mics if you please.
But you can find pefect used mics, you can also find utter trash used ones too.
Maybe find some on ebay or craig's list and ask a co worker or your boss if they would be worth it.
Don't forget about garage sales, a couple of my co workers hit the motherload for $50 last summer!

My opinion, and my opinion only..

I would cheap out on the standard measuring tools, mics and calipers and indicators, either
used or cheap no-name Chinese... For now..

I would concentrate on the oddball stuff, the stuff that will make YOUR LIFE EASIER!!!!

ID mics.. I have no idea how I lived without them for so long... The ones that come with
a bunch of tubes or rods and will go from 1.5" or 2" to 12" or so... And the trick here,
buy 2 sets, and set them as GO/NoGo gages once you get dialed in... Even used these generally
aren't cheap.. I have one good set, B&S, and one cheapy set...

Tube wall mic.. They come in handy ALL the time.. And for more than just tubes... I got mine
used on this site.

Decimal tape measure.. Stanley has them, they aren't cheap, but you can find them on e-bay for
about $15 new.. I have 2 and I use them constantly.

Groove attachments for calipers come in handy for all kinds of things.

A BIG set of calipers is always handy. 24" or so.. Used verniers are pretty cheap, you may
not need them a lot... But when you NEED them you NEED them..

A guy I worked with had a cool little gage that checked the diameter of chamfers.. I still
haven't gotten myself one, but it was sure handy having access to it...

And the hand tool stuff... I would make sure you have a GOOD set of Eklind or Bondhus allen wrenches,
and HIDE them, and only use them in an emergency.. Allen Brand Allen wrenches are CRAP...

Couple sets of small torx keys will save your butt on many occasions..

Dental picks with orange handles, they sell a set at un-mentionable orange chinese
tool store, buy 2 sets, they are cheap,
you'll be surprised how often you use them. While you are there, pick up some mirrors on a stick, and
some magnets on a stick... Also a set of jewelers screwdrivers.. Little plastic clamps and magnets
are also crazy handy.

Nail clippers or cuticle cutters.. Occasionally you rip a nail and need to fix it, but the
main reason is, they are the best things in the world for getting out tiny metal splinters.

A 'needle air nozzle set', $20 at McMaster Carr.. I have no idea how I lived without these..

And start hitting the Flea Markets.. Stock up on funky hammers, all kinds of pliers, dykes, tin
snips (I buy anything that says WISS on it if its not rusted up)... Sometimes you come across some
really neat stuff, I recently got a pair of Channel Lock vise-grips that are self adjusting, they
absolutely suck, which is probably why you don't see them much, but they are a good conversation piece.

And clamps.. Kant Twists, you can never have enough, carpenter style clamps come in a handy a lot
also.. Regular C-Clamps, not so much....

And a pair of scissors. I've personally apparently developed a scissor fetish, I now have about 10
pairs, all different and funky picked up at flea markets and second hand stores.

I would opt for at least 1 of each:

1) Tessa / Brown & Sharp or Mitutoyo for a good set of 0-6" (or 8") calipers
1b) Test indicator w/ holding kit (generic, for now)
2) 0-1.2" Digital, B&S Micrometer
3) 0-6" Mic. set (generic, w/ standards)
4) Depth Mic. set. 0-12" (interchangeable anvils)
5) ID Mic's (I prefer Mit's)
6) Thread wires (generic)

The above is what I consider to be the "basics" of a machinist toolbox.

Just my $0.02

Doug.

New: 0-8" Mitutoyo Digimatic Calipers

Used: 0-1" and 1"-2" Mitutoyo Micrometers (digital or analog depending on what the rest of the shop is using)

Chinese Micrometers up to whatever size your are frequently turning in the shop.

One good test indicator (I use B&S or Mitutoyo) and one cheap test indicator... use the cheap one for non-critical applications and save the good one for when it counts. Same goes for a dial indicators.

I like to have a good set of gage blocks (if there is not a handy set provided by the shop). Then you can keep an eye on the calibration of your inspection equipment.

If you have any money leftover, I really like having the Mitutoyo Multi-Anvil mics. I use mine all the time

Set aside 10% of your income for tools and keep a close eye on the used market for things you occasionally use, pretty soon you'll have a triple decker Kennedy with the side cart full.

Back