What's new
What's new

Need Help Milling Hardened H-19 Tool Steel

moldmaker96

Plastic
We are attempting to machine hardened H-19 tool steel. It is in the H-13 family of steels, and is hardened in the low 50's Rc.

It has turned out to be a real "end-mill eater". :bawling:

Does any one have experience with this steel type? I also know that it has a high chromium content.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

We are attempting to machine hardened H-19 tool steel. It is in the H-13 family of steels, and is hardened in the low 50's Rc.

Does any one have experience with this steel type? I also know that it has a high chromium content.

try lower depth of cut
with end mills
0.050" DOC (harder metal try <DOC, try <0.020 for much harder steel )
200-400 sfpm (facemills with carbide inserts can usually run faster)
0.001" ipt feed (you can usually feed faster but watch cutting edge wear)
coolant i have used coolant and cut dry roughing. finishing i always use coolant
1) if cutting dry end mill will eventually get red hot, then eventually throw sparks and eventually get orange red hot and melt, but cutting dry sometimes tool life is longer
2) also part can get hot , so hot part can get surface damage or have its temper changed.
3) cutting with coolant tool life can be shorter but normally tolerance are easier to hold

Take very shallow radial passes (you probably dont have much stock anyway). We have used 0.05mm, cuts fine and leaves MIRROR finish. Air blast helps.
Our material was Sleipner tool steel vacuum hardened to 52HRC.

Also, maybe you have some residue left on the surface from hardening (if your part is NOT vacuum hardened)? This can be very abrasive and nasty stuff.

What types of diameter milling tools are you using?

Is this job a one time thing that you need to get through, or are there pallets of parts and there is money in the job that can justify some more high end tooling?

Take very shallow radial passes (you probably dont have much stock anyway). We have used 0.05mm, cuts fine and leaves MIRROR finish. Air blast helps.
Our material was Sleipner tool steel vacuum hardened to 52HRC.

Also, maybe you have some residue left on the surface from hardening (if your part is NOT vacuum hardened)? This can be very abrasive and nasty stuff.

What types of diameter milling tools are you using?

Is this job a one time thing that you need to get through, or are there pallets of parts and there is money in the job that can justify some more high end tooling?

Actually, we are roughing out a bit of material....12 cavity die. I will be putting on some kind of air blast for sure...not one built into machine...any ideas for DIY?

Yes, there is quite a bit of work that we could land if we can find a good way to get 'er done. We are trying different tools/coatings to

Also...here is the material data:

Carbon 0.32 - 0.45

Chromium 4 - 4.75

Cobalt 4 - 4.5

Iron Balance

Manganese 0.2 - 0.5

Molybdenum 0.3 - 0.55

Phosphorus 0.03 max

Silicon 0.2 - 0.5

Sulphur 0.03 max

Tungsten 3.75 - 4.5

Vanadium 1.75 - 2.2

Notice the high amounts of chromium, cobalt and tungsten....a nasty mix!

Thanks to all for the replies and any more info also greatly appreciated!

Watch out for chips, chromium and cobalt containing chips are
sharp
nasty
unhealthy
dont rust under skin
one more time: nasty

Your tool life will be fine if you remember: any kind of vibration and tool will die.

Back