What's new
What's new

need ideas/help with steady rest on doosan puma 400L

S.Fee

Plastic
Short description of what I'm doing:
I am chucked up on a part with oal of 16.5". I have two devibe bars each hanging out 12-3/4". I got the chatter to cease with simple speed/feed adjustments(thank God), but I am having issues when roughing. The chips are flushing out properly but they get slung up and get rolled over by two of my steady rest wheels.

I am in search of any tips or ideas to rig somthing up to prevent this. Thanks in advance.
-Shawn

First thing to try is to get some opposite hand heads for your bars and run in the opposite direction.

I run a production part similar size, similar setup. I run with right hand heads on my bars, turning in M3. Chips are constantly throwing over the top of the part, I have run somewhere between 3-4 hundred of these parts to date and so far not one chip has rolled under a wheel.

Sorry I can't help, but if you (or someone else) could post a pic, I'd appreciate it, because I don't know what a devib (presuming 'de-vibration') bar is and have not idea how it works or is set up.

On Edit: OK maybe you are referring so something like the Dorian Devi boring bars? Sorry in advance for my ignorance.

Brent

Last edited:
A disc of plastic etc a push fit over the work as large as poss on the OD to act as a shield between the workpiece end and the steady.

First thing to try is to get some opposite hand heads for your bars and run in the opposite direction.

I run a production part similar size, similar setup. I run with right hand heads on my bars, turning in M3. Chips are constantly throwing over the top of the part, I have run somewhere between 3-4 hundred of these parts to date and so far not one chip has rolled under a wheel.

What's sad is that I told my to buy me right hand heads because I am running a brand new machine with all brand new tooling, but he does what he wants. My employers arent going to just buy me a new head unfortunately. Guess I'm stuck with what I got.

I am running a 1-1/2" Sandvik SilentTools devibe with DNMG head for roughing and a 1-1/4" Sandvik SilentTools devibe with a modified VBMT head for finishing.

Wrap aluminum foil kind of bunched up around each of the rollers, or, as Limy said, cut out a piece of plastic in a "u" shape and set it on the right side of the steady rest. You can use a piece of wire to hold it in place.

Back