What's new
What's new

Need lathe tooling suggestions for profiling on face (or a new strategy)

Question Boy

Stainless
I'm looking for a single tool that I can use to profile the entire face of this part (6061). Kennametal has a boring bar that uses a 35 degree diamond (Kennametal part number A10SSVMBR2E), and has a -50 angle on the front. Seems like I should be able to rough out the 'outer' portion by plunging and facing on the +X side, leaving a cone of material around the hub that I can't reach while the spindle is rotating CCW, then reverse the spindle and use the same tool to remove the cone and cleanup around the hub while working on the -X side. I know the interrupted finish cut will leave a tell-tale line, but I can live with that.

I saw that Mitsubishi has a new tool that uses a 25 degree diamond that may work even better than a 35 degree, still waiting on the sales guy for details. Anyone know of other boring bars that will get in there to work the face from both sides of X?

This a gang tool lathe, and the part is on the large size for the machine, so I need to do this with one tool in order to have enough room to mount the other two tools necessary to finish the part (drilling type boring bar for the hub ID, grooving tool for the OD)

FWIW, I could not find a face grooving tool that would do this job. Please ignore the tight radii on the drawing, I'll be opening them up as far as necessary.

If you've got a better idea on how to do this, I'm all ears.

Link to Kennametal boring bar type A-SVMB -5°: http://tinyurl.com/48jupb

Attachments

• F_Wheel_11.pdf
    13.5 KB · Views: 780
Why not have a local tool grinding shop make you a couple of solid carbide tools or even alter existing inserts using your own design? At least you could profile it out in one shot. Whatever the face angle is you could have ground on the end of the tool, convex radii on both sides, with the space between the two being concaved. That way you could get a near perfect blend.

I remember seeing this, up for bid "S.F. bay area shops only", right?I think I asked a few questions and got no response, about 2 months ago. Doable with one tool out of a gang set-up
pretty easy I would think, but your cycle time won't be the greatest. It depends on your round tool holding ability, clearance to the work face, your creativity. Probably best to post a picture or be more descriptive of the where the tool must go in relation to the work piece.

When I do similiar work, I take a Kenametal VPGR turning tool and turn it parrallel to the z axis, and use it like a boring bar to "face bore". You would need a left and a right hand to reach the entire area. Vpgr inserts are available in a .007 nose radius if needed.

Btw, when I downloaded the drawing file my virus scanner detected a virus in the file.

What virus scanner are you using? What does your scanner identify the type of virus as?

The .pdf file was uploaded from a system using a fully up-to-date Norton protected computer. When I download, I get no virus warnings. Anyone else get a warning when opening?

QB

I remember seeing this, up for bid "S.F. bay area shops only", right?I think I asked a few questions and got no response, about 2 months ago.

I appreciate the interest, but did not respond because of your location (bit too far from SF). At the time of my original post at rfq, I had other work, and did not want to take the time to figure out how to do this with my machine which is less than perfectly suited for the job.

QB

Face profiling

I might be late to the party but I would strongly recomend tht you get hold of your local Iscar rep. They have all sorts of briliant face grooving bars that would do that profile no sweat.

What virus scanner are you using? What does your scanner identify the type of virus as?

The .pdf file was uploaded from a system using a fully up-to-date Norton protected computer. When I download, I get no virus warnings. Anyone else get a warning when opening?

QB

I am using mcafee, it listed as a trojan.

I looked at that system, the narrowest insert in my catalog is .118". I can't open up the radii quite that much.

QB

I guess I don't follow what you want to do. The inserts come with corner radii from .008 to .047. Looks to me like face/plunging will allow you to profile the radii in your drawing.

I guess I don't follow what you want to do. The inserts come with corner radii from .008 to .047. Looks to me like face/plunging will allow you to profile the radii in your drawing.

There is one inside arc greater than 90 degrees. Can't reach that with an insert that has more than one corner.

QB

I must be missing something as the answer for a single tool appears simple to me. A solid carbide boring bar with the end ground to match the angle at the bore bottom should do the trick. Obviously the end will have to be thinned and additional clearance angles ground, it will
work but you won't be setting speed records. Your programmed angle on x will have to match
what is on the tool. I don't understand why you don't use multiple tools and just add another
operation.

One of these could be ground free hand, a link
to a smaller version of what you need is here:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1741205&PMT4NO=0

I'm guessing you only want to profile this with the single tool.
Iscar does have incredibly nice facegroovers, but the full radius ones I think are like .118 wide, so neither inside radiis will happen.
Thinbit OTOH does have nice facegroovers and they do make them down to .02 as standard.
Don't have the catalog handy, but they may have a website to look at.
I also think Circle offers facegrooving tools as well.
Rouse-Arno is another one. I have one of their bar, which takes replaceable blades to match your requirement.

And yes, I also would do this with a full radius facegroover.

Back