What's new
What's new

Need volunteer to run this new face mill

exkenna

Stainless
Hooo-Weee! We're gonna have some fun now.

I am in need of a volunteer to run a new Feed-Mill tool. Parameters for low carbon steel are 200 inches per minute at .060 depth of cut, 1150 RPM.

It would be nice if we could video this but it's not mandatory. I'll make feed/speed adjustments based on your material and hardness.

Anyone down here in the southeast?

Thanks,
Curt

DSC02801-1.jpg

Sounds impressive for a 12" diameter cutter.....or is it a 1/2" diameter cutter......I can tell it's not either, but kind of important information missing.

I have a job that has always been very hard to mill. Its T1 flame cut and the only thing I would need to know before we go any farther is the angle of the lead in. I would be happy to put it through the paces.

Gerald,

600 SFM for Mild Steel?

We run em at 800 SFM in 1018 .045 to .096fpt .045 to .08DOC
Except on the machines that dont have that much feedrate:(

IMO this type tool has had the gratest impact of any milling tool in a production shop that removes a lot of material.

I'm running a job right now in 1018 that I run a half inch variable helix EM .375 deep. .25 radially at 1000sfm and 100ipm
No coolant :)
This is on my 2412 Sharp.
I'm a bit far from youbut I'd be happy to give it a shot. I can provide video as well.
I run a four flute face mill in alum (2.5 dia) at 7500 rpm and 180 ipm at .150 depth all the time.

Happy Volunteer

We do a repair on the floor of c-130s that involves cutting a 36x20 5/8ths thick 4130 plate down to .200-.185. We just got some
MILL1s@ for this job but we are always open for new tooling options. I am stationed at Moody Air Force base GA we have a Bridgeport VMC800 that we use. I think it will do that speed, never tried running that fast in steel, anyways If I break the Air forces mill I don't have to pay for it the, the taxpayers do!

You want to check those bridgeports have the horsepower to do the job
Our 600's only have 7 hp and develop that over 1500 rpm..........

Boris

Gawd its fun stalling them :D

Side note: Had the service techs in to fit a 4th axis to one of our new VMC's..... he could'nt believe it when I demostrated smashing a 25 mm spade drill through some steel plate....mmmmmm big lumps of swarf smacking into the sides of the enclosure :eek:

Back