What's new
What's new

Rego-fix Powergrip tooling, opinions? pros? cons?

Edster

Diamond
Anyone using the Rego-fix Powergrip tooling?

There supposed to have good gripping power and excellent runout. They just released a Big Plus version and I was thinking about trying these on my horizontal. Only problem is the press I would need for the PG25 would run around 5k. :eek:

Any opinions or pros or cons?

We have swapped over to the Rego-Fix system from Schunk CAT50 hydro system.. We were having problems with our tools pulling out.. So we swapped about 200 Schunk holders to the Rego-Fix system (PG25 & PG32); ever since, we have had no problems at all in the past 6 or 7 months. So if you are interested in Schunks, we have quite a few in great shape & at a VERY discounted price (about $200 a piece). Hope this helps.

Do you have the electric press? If so, how do you like it?

One of the features of the schunk hydraulic toolholders is dampening. Did you notice any difference between the schunk and pg tooling in this regard?

I have some schunk tendo toolholders and they are the best toolholders I've ever used as far as tool runout goes. How does the PG compair?

Last edited:
We have the Rego Fix system and it has some pluses and minuses

Plus:
good run out,
fast change out of endmills
good quality holders
Periferial coolant collets where coolant blasts around endmill
Good holding power
Good ability to choke up on endmill
Good selection on lengths, especially long holders

Cons:
Crazy expensive system to clamp collets ( we have the manual press about $5k)
Crazy expensive holders
Crazy expensive collets
No range of holding diameter (1/2" collet is 1/2" endmill)
Not a rigid system
Poor damping of vibrations

For aluminum and light steel milling the Rego Fig PG system works well. As soon as you get into some tough steel it is obvious that the PG is no better than an ER collet holder.

Our current go to holder for tough spots is the Schunk Tiendo. Very rigid and great dampening. There is also a nice type of coolant collet with slots that works well. We pay $289 for a Tiendo holder and the collets are about $125 if my memory serves me right.

If I wanted something with a slim body, good access, etc.... shrink-fit or a something akin to Lyndex, Daishowa, HPI "Insider" types. In the end, I believe shrink is the least headache once the system is in place.

For good dampening in roughing apps, hydraulics are really hard to beat as are quality milling chucks... though I'd lean heavily towards hydraulic.

If you're looking for inexpensive, lower rpm heavy roughing... an old side-lock is about as much bang-for-the-buck as they come.

I can honestly say that I have pulled a tool out of every collet during a cut EXCEPT the PG system (including collet chucks from many mfg's...Lyndex, HPI, Kennametal, Schunk, ect) The PG system will not let go. These examples were all in roughing applications....much more demanding than a finish pass.

That being said...like the pervious poster I have had great luck with the old "side-lock" holder cept with a twist. A few companies (Lyndex being one of them) make a balanceable side lock holder that can go 20K RPM if balanced with a tool in it. Excellent performance also with no pullout....downside being a bit more picky to balance.

Back