What's new
What's new

New to cnc machining, need some guidance.

superchargedv8

Plastic
Hello, first post here. Im wanting to get into a vmc cnc machine but do not know much about them or the trade. At times i am in need of custom auto parts and i would really like to just make them myself instead of farming them out to someone else and waiting on them. I have used auto cad, and inventor but i have never written code or actually made a part from a drawing so i would have to learn that. I don't have the cash to buy a new vmc so realistically i need to look at used machines. I saw the personal cnc machines but don't wanna be stuck with something that I'm going to outgrown really quick. What would be the easiest way or best way to get started if i was starting from scratch? What machines should i be looking at OR is a VMC too much for someone just starting?

Serious question - are these for 1 offs for personal use or for many off ?

Using a Cad cam package like fusion 360 or bobcad is a good place to start and getting a machine of some vintage will get you into the market. I bought a Mazak vqc 20/50 1986 vintage that has next to no memory capacity but does drip feed from the computer so meets the intent. Not as fast as a lot of machines as its limited to a spindle speed of 3150 and for the smaller cutters in Ally, 12000rpm plus would be a better option.

Budget, robustness, space, money maker production vs prototyper, ease of use when you arent using it every day.. all questions to think about.

Cant comment on cost of a machine as Im in Oz...

Cheers

Mick

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would be making one off parts for certain projects but ideally i would like to produce some parts that are not currently made and possibly make a few runs.

Go get a Fadal. Something from '93 to 2000ish.

A VMC15, though not overly robust weighs about as much as a pick up truck, and doesn't cost
much (4 figures)..

Why a Fadal?? Sounds like you aren't rolling in cash, and they are cheap....

From the peanut gallery *But lots of machines are cheap*

Yes they are, but can you get support?? And can you get parts from a half dozen different
sources for dirt cheap?? (compared to most 20 year old machine tools)

Super simple control, menu driven, it basically baby steps you through what to do. Manuals
are in English. Everybody and their grandmother has/had one, and they were all basically the same
from the mid 80's up into the 2000's..

If you have a problem at 2am on Sunday morning, post
here and odds are you'll get some guidance within 20 minutes, if not a complete answer to your
problem.. Try that with a WangChungAzuki you picked up on e-bay for $1500.

Go get a Fadal. Something from '93 to 2000ish.

A VMC15, though not overly robust weighs about as much as a pick up truck, and doesn't cost
much (4 figures)..

Why a Fadal?? Sounds like you aren't rolling in cash, and they are cheap....

From the peanut gallery *But lots of machines are cheap*

Yes they are, but can you get support?? And can you get parts from a half dozen different
sources for dirt cheap?? (compared to most 20 year old machine tools)

Super simple control, menu driven, it basically baby steps you through what to do. Manuals
are in English. Everybody and their grandmother has/had one, and they were all basically the same
from the mid 80's up into the 2000's..

If you have a problem at 2am on Sunday morning, post
here and odds are you'll get some guidance within 20 minutes, if not a complete answer to your
problem.. Try that with a WangChungAzuki you picked up on e-bay for $1500.

I was recommended a Fadal 4020 i believe was the model. Would you know how that compares to the VMC15?

I was recommended a Fadal 4020 i believe was the model. Would you know how that compares to the VMC15?

All I had worked on/owned was 4020s, and last year I bought an absolute cream puff VMC15XT from a member here.
I knew they were lighter, I knew it was made from weldments instead of giant castings. Linear instead of box,
which doesn't scare me. Its got about half the spindle power and no gear change, high to low is a change on
what windings are used in the spindle motor.

Compared to the 4020s, there are things I do have to take into account. Lower revs with a biggish twisty
drill.. Need to back off a bit or you stall it. It *sounds* different when getting busy. I really haven't
pushed it much... I bought it to do the little nit picky shit.. Work 3 weeks straight and can't even fill
a 5 gallon bucket with chips, that kind of crap..

A VMC15 isn't doing this.. at 18 cubic inches a minute.
6798993597_639b9b1dbf_z.jpg

OR THIS

7587539652_7ac4e49779_c.jpg

But A VMC15 will make stuff like this.

5280036237_d56ebc3d57_z.jpg

and this.

16393353411_23f8929310_c.jpg

It does great on smaller parts, cross holes, keyways, second ops. Moves aluminum fairly well also..
Its just not a huge HOGGING machine.. It'll move a decent bit, but you are going to like it much if you
are trying to pull 45 pounds off of a 70 pound block of 4340 (see pic #2)

Its a very capable machine within its limits.. I really like it..

**All Standard Fadal disclaimers apply.
Its not a Mori, its not a Mazak, its a dirt cheap
commodity machine that can be very capable WHEN MAINTAINED.
Rapids are less than awe inspiring.
Tool changes will put you to sleep.
Cheap to buy, cheap to fix, my grandmother even
has one on her back porch, and parts are so
easy to find I think even the Pic Quik down the
street carries bellevilles.
They are what they are, but they are a lot of bang
for the buck, and more importantly, they are cheap
and easy to maintain and keep running.

I see these threads all the time right?

I just thought about it in different terms just now. I always say/yell/tout the big names because they are who they are. But on reflection I only remember one machine that just crapped out. I have made money with Haas, FADAL, Prototrak, Omniturn, Cinci with a Centurion control, a lot of machines that wouldn't be compared to the big names. The difference is that they were not expected to act like the big guns, we maintained them, didn't run them balls to the wall 24/7, and they made money for what they were/are. So if you know what it is you are dealing with, a guy can make money with what he's got.

FWIW the machine that did crap out was a Mori NZ2000 $$$$$$$ in less than 1 year, brand spankin' new, problem after problem after problem, software, hardware, mechanical, lube, bearings, I mean wow!!! With that said it was the first year Mori sold it, I think. Plus it was before the DMG merger.....:hitsthefan:

Robert

I'm pretty much doing the same as you. I got a Fadal 3016 from work, they got quotes to fix it
and management said toss it and get a new haas. We were moving buildings and the riggers
gave me a deal for 500 to move it in my garage.

Power, probably not gonna have 3 phase. I have been told the a/c drive machines can run on 240 single phase. I tried couldn't get it to work so bought a Phase Perfect 3k and got the machine to power up. Had the table/saddle rebuilt, new turcite. gibbs, straps,spindle about 15k so far, but I knew this going into it. And I know what I have.

And Bobw is 100% correct, parts and support are everywhere. But be careful on any machine you look at. Find someone who knows cnc's and have them check the machine out for you, pull covers check ways, check backlash in the screws. spindle, lube system has been working ect.

Just don't pay top dollar for a machine then learn you need to replace all this. The guy who is doing my rebuild was a Fadal employee and pretty much all he does is Fadal rebuilds. He said He thought he got a deal on a machine out of Vegas. Said it looked like it was fresh off the showroom floor. Got it back to his shop in Chatsworth and started tearing it down and ended up scrapping it out. Found out it was used for ceramics and he said all the ways were
shot.

So whatever route you take, Fadal or another builder make sure you know what your getting and price appropriately.

As said before if your new to cnc machines pay someone to check it out for you well worth the money. Any machine can be a beat POS so have it checked out before spend your $$$. I don't have a Fadal but if i needed a vmc i would check them out, one of the biggest reasons is you can get parts and guys like Bobw know lots about them and will help if you have problems!!!

Back