What's new
What's new

New Doosan DNM (VMC's) series, anyone seen them in person?

SND

Diamond
Have any of you had the chance to look over the new Doosan DNM Machining centers in person? The prices are looking rather interesting, definitely has some weight at 12Klbs for a 30x16 machine, over 14Klbs for the 40x20. 30tools, Big-plus spindle, if I read the thing right its 15Hp/cont. Overall it seems like quite a bit of a machine. Just hoping someone here has seen them in person and can give an opinion on it.

Thanks

I whent to a shop in jacksonville awhile back and they had a new 2040. nice, powerfull machine but in first week the Z axis way cover slide lock broke and they where into the third week of waiting for a new part. still running with no gaurds though.

I saw the Z guard is one piece, which I thought could work well instead of the folding type some machines have. Generally simple is tough and lasts, so how did it get damaged?. Design issue, or personnel trouble?

Looked to be a design issue. The manager said the Z went to rapid down and the gaurd hung up turning it into an accordian.

I just watched this Youtube video on the DNM series. There's nothing funnier than listening to a guy who has no idea what he's talking about, read from a poorly translated script! LOL!

YouTube - DNM Series Vertical Machining centre - Doosan Infracore

Hilarious, it never ceases to amaze me. If I planned on selling a product in Korea, and wanted to do a promo video, I think I'd get one of them to translate and write the copy. How many million dollars does Doosan do per year?

Anyway, a shop a few doors down has a Doosan 4020 and it's a pretty nice machine. A lot bigger than my Fadal 4020 in girth.

I looked at the E-catalog info on them, unfortunately some of it even zoomed in is still too small to read regarding machine dimensions. It does look fairly decent, mostly for the price.

It seems the older models had some tool chamber trouble with switches, and some things like that. I'd like to think this new series has many things improved, but those little details are hard to figure out and there's not really that many in shops yet I think. Although they seem to be selling alright.

I get the feeling it might come down to either one of those, or a robodrill Eco, price is pretty well the same... :(
Doosan definitely offers a much beefier machine, 2X more tools, 3X the power, but the Robodrill has the reliability behind it, and a better control, and 1/3 the weight is actually nice in a way as then I'd be able to move it around myself if needed. Tough decisions.

I have a 2002 DMV 4020 box way machine with a 10k spindle. Machine is a monster, we have 9000 spindle hrs. on the machine, with no issues.
I think in the next 2000 hrs. we will be due for a spindle rebuild.
Overall it has been a great machine. I would buy another one tomorrow.
I cant speak for the linear way machines.

SND, what is a ball park price on the big travel Robodrill Eco? I have a potential job on the horizon that would require either adding another machine or working even more insane hours so a small footprint machine is looking nice.

Mikey_D, I don't think there's a long X travel option on the ECO. Pretty sure they only come with the basic 19.7" X. I think you have to go to the higher performance model for the other options. I wish there was a video of the Eco on the net but there isn't any I could find.

In the US the Eco delivered and all is probably in the 60's, best you contact them to be sure of course as it could be even less. In the US Brother has really good prices and their machines have more spindle power and a few other nice features. If they were more affordable in Canada(aka same price as in the US) its what I would get and I'd be done with my search for the ideal machine for me by now...

I definitely would much rather see a video of the real machine than the animation, mostly considering it probably cost a whole lot more money to have someone dick around on the computer to make that animation, while it would take 10 minutes to do a real video of the real thing, ideally with machine sound and not techno music...

Most machine tool makers seem to still really try to avoid giving any real world information on their machines, as if they're holding on to some major secret, yet expect us all to buy on a few new funky words being thrown around. :(

Ahh and the control on the Doosan is a Fanuc 0i . 590Ipm max cutting rate I believe.
Robodrill Eco has a 31i, which appears a fair bit more capable, faster processing with up to 1181 Ipm.

Ahh and the control on the Doosan is a Fanuc 0i . 590Ipm max cutting rate I believe.
Robodrill Eco has a 31i, which appears a fair bit more capable, faster processing with up to 1181 Ipm.

Depends on what option you go with. We have an 18Imb on ours, with the mold package look ahead.

We are actually a few days away from commiting to buying one of these... I was doing some searching last night about it but couldnt really find any good comments?

Our 4020 fadal took a shit again ... time to replace it. Thinking about getting the DNM 400 with the 12k spindle...

We are actually a few days away from commiting to buying one of these... I was doing some searching last night about it but couldnt really find any good comments?

Our 4020 fadal took a shit again ... time to replace it. Thinking about getting the DNM 400 with the 12k spindle...

Did you guys also look at the DNM500? (40x20) its not very much more $, that is if you have the space/need for it. Its a little big for my shop. If I go with the DNM400, I'll probably keep the regular 8K/rpm spindle but add the TSC as its not even 4K for the option, 285psi pump/filters and all included, seems really good. I'm just thinking that its rare I'd need 12,000 rpm, but the 8K might have a little more torque at low speed "if" its belt driven, and hopefully cost less to rebuild if/when needed.

I'll need to see it in person one way or another I think before I put money on anything. I better decide soon if I go to the IMTS or not..

I haven't seen any options for upgrading to other controls so far in what I read on the new model. It does seem like it should be possible. Unless its all part of keeping costs down, no idea.

I made an attempt today at finding a company that could hopefully unload and bring a machine that heavy to my shop, takes a pretty good (20-30Klbs?) forklift that can go on gravel. The one place that I was told by another shop could do it, guy had no clue what it was, apparently don't do rigging, and don't have a forklift. I get the feeling I didn't get the sharpest crayon in the box though, so maybe I'll call back tomorrow and get someone else.
That right there may be what will be the decision maker between the heavy Doosan VMC or the lighter Robodrill Eco... much easier to move 4400lbs around.

I haven't seen any options for upgrading to other controls so far in what I read on the new model. It does seem like it should be possible. Unless its all part of keeping costs down, no idea.

I made an attempt today at finding a company that could hopefully unload and bring a machine that heavy to my shop, takes a pretty good (20-30Klbs?) forklift that can go on gravel. The one place that I was told by another shop could do it, guy had no clue what it was, apparently don't do rigging, and don't have a forklift. I get the feeling I didn't get the sharpest crayon in the box though, so maybe I'll call back tomorrow and get someone else.
That right there may be what will be the decision maker between the heavy Doosan VMC or the lighter Robodrill Eco... much easier to move 4400lbs around.

The robo drill / brother type machines are great for running aluminum and lighter material or even steel but smaller parts...Can't do any 1" hogging on that type of machine ...all depends on your parts you need to make.

I'll probably keep the regular 8K/rpm spindle but add the TSC as its not even 4K for the option, 285psi pump/filters and all included, seems really good. I'm just thinking that its rare I'd need 12,000 rpm, but the 8K might have a little more torque at low speed "if" its belt driven, and hopefully cost less to rebuild if/when needed.

You site the difference in cutting feed as an influence in your decision making process, but don't see yourself ever needing 12K RPM? This would be your first CNC machine, based on your other posts I'm not sure that you have previous CNC experience? Do you have a CAM system that would make the processing speed of your control relavent? Do you have prior CAM experience? If the answers to these questions are no I would suggest buying a used CNC (early 90's or newer) and a CAM package. You can get a perfectly servicable used CNC for 10-20K and you can use this machine to absorb the inevitable learning curve (oh shits) that will be associated with learning a CNC machine and a CAM system especially. There is no sense in having a fast sports car for driving a winding mountain road (CNC machine with no CAM system) And it makes even less sense to learn to drive using a new sports car.

Back