What's new
What's new

File transfer on 18i-t is killing me!

John Deere

Aluminum
Man this file transfer thing is killing me!

Machine is a Daewoo 240MSB lathe with Fanuc 18i-t. First I tried using the RS232 and setting up with some instructions from Daewoo. No dice there.

Next plan was ethernet with Daewoo supplied instructions. They had me download TYP Soft FTP Server and so I did all that was outlined in the instructions and had file transfer relatively smoothly.

Now I can't make it work at all. I've rechecked everything in the instructions, etc with no luck.

What do you guys do for reliable easy file transfer? Do I need different software or what? I've used ProEZ on a Citizen in the past with good results, is that the plan.

All help is appreciated!

I just use the memory card and it works okay. Only takes 500 key strokes to load a program.

Welcome to Fanuc where everything is a pain in the ass. :cheers:

One CNC I think still has a free one and it has a lot of common settings listed, I use that for my machining center. What errors are you getting? I unfortunately don't have a 18t, but I have a 16 & 21t. I am sure you have already matched the baud rates.

I just use the memory card and it works okay. Only takes 500 key strokes to load a program.

I LOVE my Fanucs, maybe the machine builder did something to cause problems. If you want something to hate I have a Yasnac MX-3 for you.

Next plan was ethernet with Daewoo supplied instructions. They had me download TYP Soft FTP Server and so I did all that was outlined in the instructions and had file transfer relatively smoothly.

You had it working before, so its a matter of reversing the changes you've made after it worked.
If you didnt change anything, i'd first reset the router or hub if theres 1 between your pc and Puma 240.
Second i would check my pc.
Theres a way to ping your Puma to check for contact.

Most reliable way for me is using the PCMCIA-to-compactflash-card, if something happend with a line, i get it out of my pocket and punch or read.
Once setup the card it just always seems to work without any hassle.

The set up procedure is in book 15, page 14,592 of the Fanuc Manual. There is also info in book 12, 11, and 9. Put it all together and it should work after 30 hours of trial and error. :D

The set up procedure is in book 15, page 14,592 of the Fanuc Manual. There is also info in book 12, 11, and 9. Put it all together and it should work after 30 hours of trial and error. :D

Lol, there we have it again, "weniger teilen" also aplied to less words or descriptions.

They really want to seperate "user instructions" from "parameter settings" and set a border for workfloor operators messing up.
Atleast thats the only logic i can imagine from deviding the info into 3 books.

Looks like we may have it working. I drug out the old Pro EZ and wires from the Citizen days and plugged into the RS232. Took a little figuring with which wires to use (it's a 25-9 pin then into a 9 pin-usb) but I think we're there.

Maybe we can make it work again tomorrow!

I do like the Calmotion idea though!

Aint that the truth! I do prefer the PCMIA card over rs-232 since in some cases you walk 100 yards to set the control to receive, Walk to PC hit send, Walk back to the machine to find out you screwed up one of the steps or sent it to the wrong machine. Then do it all over again. The yellow pages got it right. (Let your fingers do the walking). Heven forbid you have to make several edits.

If that's how you have to do it, you're in need of better software!

ezdnc is good but when they have 50+ machines its easy to get mixed up and send it to the wrong machine. Actualy, the majority of problems is an operator going to the machine not paying attention to the blinking LSK icon and switches over to MDI so she can grab a tool.:angry: (yep, I said she). No matter how much I told her she just couldnt remember to look.

Another thing is when you get a program that is a meg or more it takes quite a while to travel that distance :toetap:. the cards quick and doesnt get garbled. even with an amplifier I think the trans rate was 2400.

I rep a software that allows the op to stand at the machine and request the file to be sent. No need to actually go to the PC. There are many other brands that do that, too.

As far as speed, that can be helped by using a serial hub, fed by ethernet and positioned close to a group of machines, minimizing the serial cable lengths for best baudrates. Of course, the card will be faster, which for a 1MB file, is real important. They are also very convenient for parameter and ladder file transfers. The only downside I see to using the card is having to physically bring it to the machine, like the trip back and forth for the serial transfer, and the possible wearing out of the control's card slot after a lot of use.

Back