What's new
What's new

New Machine any Day Now

Loner Industries

Cast Iron
My VF4 should arrive at the riggers today and hopefully early next week we will take delivery. As for now I have to figure out how I am going to place it in our ever shrinking building. The good news for us is if we run out of room for future machines, we can take the wall down that and gain an additional 2800 sq.ft. in the back of the building. Honestly this machine can not get here soon enough, the additional spindle will my my scheduling less of a oh crap and how are we going to get both of these tough type of work flow.

Lake Road Facility.jpg

There is ALWAYS room for one more - if there is werk for it.

When they start to gather dust and you are still having to go outside just to change your mind, then it is time that somebody will be looking at likelyhood of a cooler storage arrangement this winter... :Yawn:

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

No kidding OX, there is always the chance that things will slow down as soon a I tool up for more volume. The hope is with the new machine, I can reduce my overtime and take on all of the work that i have to turn away. But honestly just about anyone can buy machines but the real challenge is getting talent on your team that can produce good parts in a reasonable amount of time. I have tried a lot of people that I have known for a long time and where they have worked and consistently been disappointed in their abilities.

The machine is at the riggers now, I am just waiting for the call to let me know what day they are going to deliver it, get it set up, and then start making chips. I will post pictures when It arrives.

Well Metro dilivered the machine yesterday, and we had power and air to it this morning, now I am just waiting on Selway to do the final setup and we can start to get a return on our investment.

WP_20140811_001.jpg
WP_20140811_006.jpg

Looks like it's missing a bunch of racing stickers?

Are those applied during "setup"?
Or doo you hafta call Summit for a starter kit?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It seems that Haas has reduced their efforts int eh graphics department, this is good in my book no need for anything shiny that doesn't help the bottom line. As for any fogging of the camera lens it would have more to do with come on lets get this thing online and get this pile of work cut and shipped over excitement at this point. OK maybe a little of both.

Well I guess I missed my new machine post a year ago when I got the VF7 in, but new machine day seems to come about once a year now. Anyway new machine day X 2. Sold my older smaller machines and took on a VF2SS and a ST10YT. Haven't ran the ST but I have to say i really like this little VF2.WP_20161016_13_27_55_Pro.jpgWP_20161027_19_40_36_Pro.jpg

watch out for that new control ,, its a POS ... selway just pulled a vf2ss out of my shop last week after 7 months of trying to make the hunk of junk run right ,,, Its buggy as hell.

So far no problems here with it, but we are not using all the functionality as of yet. I do like the old control a lot and the new one has requires more navigation and input in my option. What was yours doing? As for the machine I am happy with it for the little parts we are running and bought it for.

Looks to me like that Haas lathe is chained down by the leveling bolts. I got burned by that. Went to level the lathe and found the lazy asshole truck drive had looped a chain over 8 of the leveling screws. No protection was used and the threads were fucked. I spent half a day with a thread file fixing that.

The HL? Yes it is but that is the only way to hang on to it with out brackets. I moved it twice this way and didn't have an issue with the threads, but in this case the buyer chained it down, and for the price he got them for I am sure that buying some new jacking screws is the last of his worries.

BS. There is always something to hang onto. A web up under the casting, the base of the tailstock, a sturdy bracket, something. Worst case scenario you bolt it so a piece of steel through the hollow leveling screws and chain to that.

If I had been there when the truck drive threw a chain over the leveling bolts one of us would have gone home feeling sore, possible both of us...

Really? BS? In this case no there is not any web and to strap over the main casting? If you were to take the rear Z axis sliders loose and have enough clearance to get though the sheet metal in the front and strap over the casting. That would require that is was to be loaded off center or raised up. I do not disagree is your worst case scenario as a good solution but replacing the jacking screws are cheaper than the plate/tubing and quicker than making it. The issue with this is the only flat part of the casting is the feet and I would not allow anyone in my shop to get under the machine while lifted to install them.

I guess I do not post much due to reply's and posts like this. All in all ewlsey, one of the two of us is full of the S in BS in this situation. And since I have had eyes on the machine more than once to move it, I know where I would put my money. Have a good one.

Sorry you don't like what I have to say, but chaining over the leveling screws is what hacks do. There is always another way. I've never seen a CNC lathe with no webs under the bottom of the casting. Loop a chain through it and you're fine.

IMG_0125.jpgIMAG0411.jpgIMG_0636.jpgIMG_0638.jpg

I've never seen a CNC lathe with no webs under the bottom of the casting. Loop a chain through it and you're fine.

Don't think that any of my lathes have any holes in the base. But mine are made of Harcrete, not cast iron - so maybe that makes a difference? Some of my smaller mills doo have holes tho.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I don't disagree or dislike most of what you are saying. And yes it is a hack to strap to the screws, yada yada, but hell even metro did it that way when they moved it. They aren't hacks, they are one of the bigger rigging companies in Portland. Great reputation, get in get it done get out, good guys.

I guess I was raised not to call BS on something that I did not have specific experience with, in this case being familiar with the castings on a HAAS HL lathe. I wouldn't disrespect you if you or anyone else in such a situation. Its one thing to question it or give your two cents, and another to call BS. All in all i guess its how willing people are to put their foot in their mouth.

Back