What's new
What's new

New Machine Day!

Eric U

Hot Rolled
My new Doosan Lynx 220LYA showed up today. It came a day late due to a death in the family of the head rigger assigned my machine, so no final install of the turning center or bar feeder until the end of the month.

First off they moved my Haas VF-2 out of the spot I need the Doosan in.
image.jpg

The Doosan in it's crate on the truck with chip conveyor and barfeeder. Wow, and what a crate! Steel bars with steel sheeting.
image.jpg

Maybe I should have gone with the 12' wide door?
image.jpg

Placed close to home with the forklift. Final placement on skates.
image.jpg

I've got a lot of homework ahead of me. I've got at least 12" of manuals with this beast and I don't speak Fanuc yet. My little 30'x40' shop is feeling pretty small.

Eric U

To be honest, I feel kinda naked without a lathe to use right now. The TL-1 is disconnected and for sale and the Doosan won't be making money for at least a month. Hopefully I don't run out of stock sized parts before then...

Well the nice thing about the TL1 is an extension cord will get you in business if you have to... :) I have moved mine several times and twice I have run it on temp power. Good luck with your new machine and we are all waiting for your first video.

Charles

Joe,

I haven't even put an advertisement out yet, but I've heard these TL's get great resale. I've been thinking of starting at 20k and see if I get any bites. When I was looking at buying the Haas ST-10Y, the Haas dealer said he would give me 17k for my TL-1.

Eric U

Install from hell? Initially, the turning center got delivered a day late due to a family emergency at the riggers. The install had to be rescheduled due to LNS scheduling conflicts. So...the Doosan install was supposed to happen yesterday and LNS today. Doosan install makes it about an hour before the service guy finds out my electricity was out of spec. 244-249 volts. Machine wants 220. That is all my bad. I don't even own a volt-meter and I Ass-u-me'd the power to my Haas was good so it would be good on the Doosan. I was wrong. So, now I've got a brand new $1k step-down transformer, and even some new wiring to to the Doosan. Service guy is coming back to finish on Tuesday. LNS is now scheduled for the 29th of September. I may never run this machine.

Eric U

Install from hell? Initially, the turning center got delivered a day late due to a family emergency at the riggers. The install had to be rescheduled due to LNS scheduling conflicts. So...the Doosan install was supposed to happen yesterday and LNS today. Doosan install makes it about an hour before the service guy finds out my electricity was out of spec. 244-249 volts. Machine wants 220. That is all my bad. I don't even own a volt-meter and I Ass-u-me'd the power to my Haas was good so it would be good on the Doosan. I was wrong. So, now I've got a brand new $1k step-down transformer, and even some new wiring to to the Doosan. Service guy is coming back to finish on Tuesday. LNS is now scheduled for the 29th of September. I may never run this machine.

Eric U

1 month for LNS? Wtf?

1 month for LNS? Wtf?

That is my fault too...I've got some previous obligations I can't get out of. From what I'm getting from the scheduler, LNS is booked up for about two weeks, which puts me right in the middle of my previous obligations.

Eric U

244-249 sounds like a power company issue.

242 would be the upper limit of the +10% rule of thumb. Problem I see is that all your other 220 equipment has (potentially) been over-voltaged for who knows how long.

But still, 244 is pretty dang close, and maybe it was just high the day you checked it? Did you check it with more than one VOM?

Regardless, I'd be calling the power company.

I've got a lot of homework ahead of me. I've got at least 12" of manuals with this beast and I don't speak Fanuc yet. My little 30'x40' shop is feeling pretty small.

Eric U

You are really going to love going from Haas to Fanuc. By love, I mean you'll probably put a gun to your head and pull the trigger.

I can't remember, are you running PP's or real 3ph?

my 1ph input is around 248V here, they're usually a bit on the high side, pretty standard. I don't think most machines seriously care that much but you know if something did happen they'd try hard to wiggle out of any warranty.

What's not to love about the Fanuc? It's even got a USB... I'm not looking forward to the transition though.

I'm running two phase perfects now. The dealer I got the Doosan from told the installer if he turned it on with that voltage they would void the warranty. I looked through the Haas book after all this and it said the VF-2 was good up to 260 volts. Checked with two volt meters.

Eric U

You are really going to love going from Haas to Fanuc. By love, I mean you'll probably put a gun to your head and pull the trigger.

Love it John! Ya, you think "oh it's Fanuc, everyone knows/uses Fanuc..." Trust me (us) you are going to miss that Haas control on day one...

Back