What's new
What's new

new machine day- air compressor

WILLEO6709

Diamond
so the 40 HP sullair blew a vfd about a week ago..... been running off the 60 HP across the line compressor but its kinda a waste...and I had always planned on someday setting up a 2 compressor lead lag scenario. So whyile the Sullair is down part 1 of the air upgrade has arrived( Its my truck.... don't ask my opinion of not to be named freight carrier right now). Part 2 of the air upgrade is due in a day or 2 and part 3 is due on Friday.

to be continued.......

You will be very pleased with that unit I think. Our SM15 with TBH13 dryer has been absolutely flawless over the last 5-6 years we have had it. We also have an SX8 running our plasma that has never missed a beat either.

Congrats!
I love my SM-10. It has been rock steady for the past 2 years.

Caveat: make SURE to order the 5 year spares kit, as most/ all parts now ship from the central distribution warehouse.
(My case at least, in Houston)

Doug.

to be continued.......

My favorite part of this whole post!! :D

Nice machine by the way!! I have the SX5 keeping three Cnc's running without issue. It's hooked up to two 60 gallon tanks and a refrigerated dryer and it's the berries!

I honestly never even realize it's on as the sound gets drowned out by all the other shop noise, and we keep our air system in a separate assembly room which is away from the shop..........that's how quiet it is, LOVE it!

Best Regards,
Russ

Congrats!
I love my SM-10. It has been rock steady for the past 2 years.

Caveat: make SURE to order the 5 year spares kit, as most/ all parts now ship from the central distribution warehouse.
(My case at least, in Houston)

Doug.

Doug, what did you end up doing with your Ingersoll with the blown VFD?

It was a sullair, call it 39k hours, decent compressor yet all in all.

I have a new drive en route, service company A decided it was a bad 40 HP motor, got a second opinion from the local motor repair place who said nothing wrong with the motor. So if the vfd does not fix it there may be revision to phase 3 of the air upgrade.

The original quote for the vfd from company a and the cost from motor repair place were vastly different or I'd have likely had a bunch of sullair parts for sale....

Joe788

I bought the Kaeser, and gave the IR to the first person who wanted to come pick it up.

Doug.

Nice machines but service fees have just totally gotten out of hand

I get the feeling this goes for all brands now. 2-3yrs ago my sulliar had a little $2 seal fail after barely maybe 40hrs of use, $600 later... lets just say I will do my own service and digging in there from here on. OH and its a $120 "kit" for that 1 little seal. I imagine the others play the same game.

I do wish I had bought a Kaeser instead of a Sullair shoptek though.

I think my buddy may have a cpl drums of Kaeser oil if anyone is interested.

-----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

phase 2 of the upgrade is out for delivery today. Phase 3 is in at the dealer but won't ready until next week..... pics to follow.... much much later

actually the 400 gallon tanks were cheaper from Kaeser than ebay. Although what sealed the deal was the technical sales. Very happy with the sk15 so far ( 40 run hours so far, commisioned on Tuesday). The 15 is running about 90% loaded where my 40 was modulating a lot. The tanks should help and give it a bit of a breather

How is the subjective noise level?

I could hear the 40hp sullair as a dull hum from my office 30 feet away through a former exterior wall( pretty soft but there if you were paying attention. The sk15 I have to be in the room to hear it at all. Our air usage varies a lot ( we have a pressure blast cabinet with a pretty big nozzle). The 15 won't keep up with the blaster for long, hence the tanks.
The vfd died in the sullair 40 hp, and we have a new vfd to be installed next week for a 2 stage air system. SK15 primary compressor 70 cfm, 800 gallons tanks, big ass filter, drier, all backed up by the sullair when repaired. The sk15 will run at 110-125 psi, the sullair won't come on until 102 psi but sit ready. Should knock my electric bill in the ass. All told it was a chunk of change to make the upgrade but I figure over 6 years I'll get the investment back in power alone. Besides, the backup's backup is a 60 hp Ingersoll direct drive,,,,, it overpowers my drier and fills me with water. Its better than no air at all but it draws a LOT of juice( the 40 hp sullair dropped me $400 a month on average in power) compared to even the 40.

The Kaeser rep came out, walked our system, helped us figure out what we needed and got it here in a timely manner. The new sk15, both tanks, and auto drains will be operational tomorrow and the "repair" on the existing sullair won't be done until next Tuesday probably. The sullair was installed January 2009, has about 38k-40k hours and is not a bad machine. The Kaeser guys impressed us more.

Did I miss the explanation on why you use such a huge amount of air, or is that top secret.

Stuart

the 98,000 lb 300 ton Minster Hevistamper press is one big user...... 20k square feet with a lot more than 2-3 machines, air sanders, blow guns, sandblaster.... it all adds up. 71 cfm is not a huge amount of air. The factory I used to work at had at least 4 100 hp compressors at 350+ each that ran at least 70% loaded

Back