What's new
What's new

New Machine Day! Doosan DNM 4500

doosan 8.jpg
doosan 7.jpg
doosan 9.jpg
The truck showed up around 8:15 this morning and by 10:00 he was gone and the riggers were tying their forklift back onto the trailer. NOW.... we've got to wait for electrical to be connected on Tuesday and then the Doosan guys come back for set-up and training.

You'd think after shopping for close to 2 years, I'd be used to waiting, but I'm not. I want to turn this thing on! Oh, well.... it's Christmas!

doosan 4.jpg

I should have titled the thread "New Machine and Turkey Fry!" We're having our company Christmas part later today.

Some details:

Doosan DNM 4500
Fanuc 0i-M control
rigid tapping
40 block look-ahead
12000 rpm spindle with chiller
CAT 40 Big Plus spindle with 30 tool capacity
1417 ipm rapids
31" in X, 17" in Y, 26" in Z
230 psi through spindle coolant and air
automatic grease lubrication
Renishaw OMP60 spindle probe (still on order)
Renishaw OTS-AA tool trigger setter (still on order)
LNS/Turbo hinged belt chip convoyor (also still on order)

Doosan's upgrades to the Fanuc control include Adaptive Feedrate control, Tool Load monitoring, and a Thermal Compensation system.

Is it set up to add a 4th axis/indexer?

Make sure when they do the install that you find out where all batteries are hidden and what they are, get some extra on hand, and also back up parameters right away when install/set up is done and keep a couple safe copies of that. Good time to test and tweak the Cad/cam and make sure they're happy with each other too.
Doesn't hurt to also figure right away the procedure for if/when it ever dies in the middle of a tool change.

Make sure when they do the install that you find out where all batteries are hidden and what they are, get some extra on hand, and also back up parameters right away when install/set up is done and keep a couple safe copies of that. Good time to test and tweak the Cad/cam and make sure they're happy with each other too.
Doesn't hurt to also figure right away the procedure for if/when it ever dies in the middle of a tool change.

No 4th axis but it is pre-wired for it. We're getting a new pair of Kurt vices for it that'll cover 99% of the jobs it'll see.

We do LOTS of small runs, so the probes are going to be the highlight of this machine and I think all our future machines will have them as well.

We've also been changing how we run jobs in the shop. Before we laid out the individual tools by the machine while the job is being set-up and stuff just stayed there because "you knew where it was," but work bench's end up full of all the loose ends and then you realize you can't find anything. We've invested in job carts and tool holder caddys so that as the parts progress through the shop, the tools, prints, etc. all go with them. When we started setting up our new shop here, we started a central tool crib, programming and shop managing office, and inspection area. Ultimately changing the thought process more than the job process is what makes it all work IMO.

What great advice. Do all of that with the installer right there so there is no doubt.
And yes hit Estop in the middle of a tool change so you can sort that out.
Gary

You sound like you are CNC familiar, but the shop (what we see of it) looks really old skewl.

There are other CNC's deeper in the shop?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I took delivery of the same mill about 4 weeks ago! I did get the Fanuc options for 200 block lookahead/nano smoothing/jerk control. I got this machine primarily too take most of my 3d work, I am doing a lot of parts that need 30/40 spindle hours and it was bogging down my workflow. Anyway, so far I love it. This is my first Doosan. The accel/decel on this thing is fun to watch, esp. since my shop is all box way/slower machines.It gets up to speed FAST. Surfaces very very nicely.
I have been too busy to do a new machine thread, I had parts waiting for it and I was making beautiful parts as soon as the technician got out of my way. Good luck with yours!

It's a little bigger than the last mill that sat there!

I see the Moore's head peeking out of the forest of mills :)

It is a little bigger. All the dealers we quoted tried to sell us bigger machines. 36"? Lets make it an even 10 feet, right! Which I think is silly. I mean I get you'll have more capacity "just in case," you can set up more jobs at once, and the dealer gets a little more commission, but I still say having floor space for 2 independent spindles and tables is going to get more done. I think when we replace our Hardinge, we'll likely be looking at a Doosan DNM 5700 (or whatever their current model is at that time), but otherwise, we're getting smaller mills from here. Their drill/tap centers and compact DNM 400 are looking interesting.

Yep! I haven't been able to do a lot with the Moore, but it's currently set-up running those aluminum gear boxes (took some time to get to them). And after that, I got ahold of a jig boring vice for the rig, but it was missing the mounting plate, so we milled one out and I'm going to finish it on the Moore itself so I know it's perfectly square to the machine. Once that's in place, it'll have a lot more utility and get more use. I should add too though that the DRO display is starting to die so until I can get a new one, those super nice analog dials are proving their usefulness:).

You sound like you are CNC familiar, but the shop (what we see of it) looks really old skewl.

There are other CNC's deeper in the shop?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yep we've got lots or old stuff. Our shop is a composite of three old shops full of worn out manual stuff that we merged together starting in 1999. In 2000 we bought our first CNC mill (which is the one we replaced with this Doosan). After selling the old Bridgeport Torq-Cut 22, we were left with a 2006 Hardinge VMC1000p3, a 2002 Prototrak TRL 1840 lathe, and a 1990 Bridgeport knee mill with 2 axis Prototrak control (2003 I think). I think the Prototrak lathe will be the next one replaced. It has been a handy machine and we learned a lot with it, but it seems that EVERY part we program on it reminds us that it's not a "real cnc lathe."

I need to do another "here's our shop" thread since we moved.

Long term, I see us upgrading to have 4 machining centers and 2 turning centers, but we'll still employ a bit of the old manual machines. There's always going to be jobs that are too simple to tie up in a cnc, and we do a fair bit of repair work which IMO is easier to do step by step in a manual machine's open format. Also, Our customers are most often making their living doing things hands-on (leatherworkers), so I think it pays to keep some commonality between us when they know we do alot of our work the same way. It is possible to become SO efficient and SO modern that you lose touch with the people paying your bills. It is a balance however.

Merry Christmas and Congratulations on buying a Doosan. I happen to work for them and really like these machines. You can also call me direct here in New Jersey in addition to calling Ellison. We are a full service support center.
That machine has a pretty sweet tool change recovery page in the EOP screen. You will find it soon enough with training from Ellison.

Regards,
Paul Anderson
Doosan Machine Tools America
973-618-2457
[email protected]

doosan 18.jpg
Power and air are connected. Now we wait for the Doosan guys to come back.

I've got a new grounding rod as well (old one had to be driven flush into the floor as it ended up under the chip pan). The installation instructions don't give any help installing it. I THINK the connection is on the base castings back left corner. Anyone know before I start drilling into the slab?
doosan 19.jpg

View attachment 216118
Power and air are connected. Now we wait for the Doosan guys to come back.

I've got a new grounding rod as well (old one had to be driven flush into the floor as it ended up under the chip pan). The installation instructions don't give any help installing it. I THINK the connection is on the base castings back left corner. Anyone know before I start drilling into the slab?
View attachment 216119

For best results, pound this one flush with the floor too.

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back