What's new
What's new

New Machine Day...at long last

Gearheaded

Plastic
Hi Everyone:

I don't post much, I think only about 7 times or so over the years. Mostly a lurker with little time and only like to post if I'm adding something to the conversation. I've learned a great deal from reading here over the years. My first "real" cnc mill has finally arrived at it's new home, despite some interesting challenges over the last few months, and I would like to post a couple pictures and ask just a couple questions and see if anyone knows much about the machine I purchased.

A little background...I've got a nice little machine shop that I've been building up for 20 years a little at a time. I rarely do job shop type work at home, and own the shop mainly for production of my own products with a few production jobs from various friends now and then. Its basically my retirement plan, since I don't have any other. But all machines paid for...very low overhead, and no debt.

I've gathered up machines on the cheap when I could find and afford them, but have never been able to complete the loop with a "real" cnc mill until now.

My machine list as of now in order of purchass:
1995-Sherline manual lathe...I know, a silly hobby toy but it was a start, and I still use it regularly for small quick carburetor parts and such.
1996-Hardinge DSMA automatic turret lathe with bar feeder...paid for itself many times over
1997 Sherline CNC mill with tooling bought new...Taught myself milling and G code and even made some money with it
1998 Enco 12 x 38 manual lathe...nearly new
1999 Mid size manual mill from the now defunct Tektronics tooling shop
2002 Small injection molding machine
2003 Elgin manual turret lathe for second ops
2004 Burris 6 position turret drill press...traded carburetor rebuild for it
2005 1967 Tornos cam style swiss screw machine...awesome machine, every attachment, also from Tek making oscilloscope parts. Sold this one last year to make room

summer 2005 went to North Carolina for awhile to run a big machine shop in Charlotte making parts for Freightliner...No machine puchases for awhile

2008 Omniturn Hardinge CNC lathe
2011 My second Omniturn Hardinge
2012 Sunnen honing machine with large selection of mandrels and stones
2014 DynaMyte CNC 2400...Free to me, brand new from a school that never used it. 1980's desktop CNC mill
2016 Feeler surface grinder

and finally

2017-18 My new to me Kira/Tree CNC mill

Last year in the spring I spied this mill on craigslist. It was in the high desert of central Oregon for I think $7500. Looked cool but I didn't have the money then and wasn't in machine buying mode anyway. Fast forward to September...I happen to check out craigslist, and the machine is still there, price unchanged. I had a little money(didn't really want to spend it) but my interest and curiosity were starting to get the better of me. I called him in early October and talked to him about the machine. He felt it was a great machine he had bought for himself, but quickly realized he needed larger and bought a large older Fadal.

Having just had my 54th birthday, I convinced my significant other that we needed to at least go to check it out, it would make a nice trip to central Oregon, and we could stop and check out trains and railroad bridges...she loves trains and railroad bridges.

We got to the shop and it was the cutest little machine. Measured and would barely fit through my garage door...but it would fit! I got the story on the machine and where it came from. Told him I would need to do some research before making an offer. So I went online and searched this forum and general search and found enough info to convince me I should be interested. Made an appointment to visit again in late October. Brought my indicators and volt meter and gave it a thorough checkout. All seemed good, and I liked the guy, we had similar backgrounds and I felt I could trust what he had to say. He said he had about 30 BT30 tool holders that he wanted to sell separate. I asked what the lowest price to get the machine and tooling out of his life. He said $5500 and I said yes.

Now came the problems. I didn't have room for the machine and little time from working two jobs. I had to solve at least one of the problems right away...so I quit my primary job as a machinist of plastics making $25/hr plus bennies. That felt really good...no more getting up at 6am. Of course no more biweekly decent paychecks either.

I moved the manual turret lathe and honing machine into my storage container and was surprised to find I might have room after all.

So we made arrangements for my friend to pick up the machine and store it for awhile so I could get the garage ready. We were leaving on our first vacation in years for a week in Tahoe and then to the Bay area(Santa Cruz) to visit family. He was to follow me on the morning we were leaving, going the back way to Tahoe so we could stop at Central Oregon. Truck broke down on they way. Guy with machine was cool about it and we would handle it after returning.

While we were gone, we decided to get married so now I have a wife.

Upon returning, our boss from my part time job(my wife is a welder fabricator and works with me at the other job)decided to have us be full time, between the two of us, about three times the money from the job shop, but now back to super busy. Now the guy is starting to call wondering when the machine will leave and the rest of the money arrive, so I make arrangements right before Xmas to try again, this time the turbo blows on the way over the mountains. Ughhh.

So I let my friend off the hook, and call a different friend, but this one can't store it, so I have to bring it home. Also, when I told the machine owner we were on the road, he moved the machine outside so we could load it easier....needless to say, now the machine is outside in the winter under a tarp. Ughhh again...and a big storm is coming that will make it over the cascades. Ughhh some more.

I didn't have a choice but to wait out the storm and let the roads clear of snow, but we finally went and got it last week, and it went without a hitch other than not enough forklift, so I had to bring my millwright skills out of mothballs and figure out how to get it on the trailer. It wasn't fun but we succeeded with a block and tackle, lubricant, winches and come alongs.

Bringing it home we had a larger forklift available but only two inches clearance to the garage door. It took some fiddling with forlift forks and pallet jack, but we got it into the garage in a nice spot for me to work.

The machine is a 1991 Kira/Tree CNC mill with 10 tool positions. 5hp spindle, 787"/min rapids, 350"/min milling. Rigid Tapping, chip auger, Fanuc OM Mate control. It is more than fast enough for the work I do, and looks to be well designed and built.

The machine came with 86 tool holders of which 80% of them look to be in perfect shape, and the rest in reasonable shape.

I was able to buy a like new 20hp RPC from a friend for $1000 to get it running.

There are a couple of questions I have about it though, and am hoping someone here can enlighten me.

Here are some pictures, I will ask the questions at the bottom of the post.

Side%20View%20of%20mill%20in%20place.jpg

From%20Workbench.jpg

Front%20of%20machine.jpg

Inside%20Mill.jpg

Garage%20Lathes.jpg

More%20tools%20after%20drying.jpg

Tools%20on%20workbench.jpg

I have three questions:

First: In the book it shows 12000rpm spindle, then refers to torque curves for three speed ranges. 0-4000, 0-8000, and 0-12000rpm. there does not seem to be any indication that these were options for the spindle, so...does that mean they simply have different control settings to create different speed and torque ratings for the spindle? Or do I misunderstand and there are three separate spindle options?

Second: The mill table is in wonderful shape and looks to have never been crashed into...however, it is a cross slot with eight mounting holes for fixture plates. The machine came with a nice fixture plate with dowel pins. Is there a company that makes reasonably priced custom T slot tables that could be bolted to the mill table?

Third: Anybody run or own one of these and have any possible tips or hints about running this machine?

Thank you all for your time and the many years of great and valuable info I have gleaned from Practical Machinist. And sorry bout the long post and diatribe.

Karl
Portland, Oregon

Last edited:
That was a lot to wade through to get to the point...

Tree Machine Tool in Wisconsin was the importer for a few years for Kira Machine from Japan. They made several different models. Some with 30 taper and others with 40 taper and possibly 50 taper though I've never seen one.

I've done some repair work on the 30 taper versions. They were mainly designed/marketed as drill/tap machines similar to the Brother TCs and Fanuc DrillMate/Robodrill of the era. From your description this sounds like what you have

Give some additional info like model number and there may be additional help available.

One of the larger Tree/Kiras has been on the Portland Craigslist for a while now....

Cnc mill Tree kira vmc 2 - tools - by owner - sale

Yeah lot of reading

congrats on the few plunges you've taken especially "my wife is a welder fabricator"

but no pics, it don't exist.....

Hi Guys:

Sorry the pictures and I disappeared. I thought something looked odd about the addresses of the pics when I posted them, but they worked for awhile. I realize now that I posted the pictures from the file manager of the Cpanel of the server that stores my pictures. As soon as I closed the browser window they stopped linking...unbeknownst to me.

We have since had a snow storm and I simply had no time to sit at the computer and even check the thread.

I apologize again for the long post and story. I am simply so excited about how things have been going and few friends who care about machines, I never meant to tell the whole story, but once typing during a rare free couple hours, I kinda just kept going.

Here is the pictures:

First the mill- Kira Machinery Tapmill center model VTC30

Editing the original thread is closed so I will post the pictures again here from the actual storage site.

Front%20of%20machine.jpg

From%20Workbench.jpg

Here is the Machine table with the cross slots and eight mounting holes

Inside%20Mill.jpg

86 BT30 tool holders with ER11, ER16, DA, and ER32, and side screw tool holders in almost every standard inch size

Shot of the rest of my crowded garage.

Garage%20Lathes.jpg

I've been spending the little free time I have running the tool holders through my carb cleaning tank and cleaning old coolant.

Next is to disconnect and clean every electrical cable connector.

I would still appreciate any info someone might have on this machine and I thank you all for your patience in reading my story.

Thanks again

Karl Boe
Staver Locomotive LLC
Affordable Steam Engines LLC.

Saw the pics now. Pretty sure that was called a VTC30. Hopefully you got all the manuals with it. One thing I recall was that getting the magazine position re-sync'ed with the spindle could be exciting in a bad way. All in all not a bad little machine.

Figured out what I did wrong, I have tried posting to the thread and fixing the pictures, editing was closed, so I made a new post. Tried to post but it came back saying the moderator has to approve?

???Karl

I'm sorry guys:

I'm usually pretty good at the computer and picture stuff. Oh well. I still don't know what went wrong with my attempt to repost in a reply.

I did figure out what I did wrong for posting, I linked to my servers file manager instead of the direct storage site. When I closed the file manager browser window...the links stopped working. Of course I was at work by then and didn't know.

Also sorry bout the long story, I'm just so excited by how everything is going these days, and have few to talk with about it. I had a few hours free and thought I would post a quick question, only to find I had typed the whole story plus some anecdotes. I apologize to anyone who got bored or felt their time wasted.

Here is a third attempt at pictures:

First the machine- Kira VTC30 Tapmill center.

Front%20of%20machine.jpg

From%20Workbench.jpg

The mill table with cross slots and eight mounting holes

Inside%20Mill.jpg

86 BT30 tool holders tooling including ER11, ER16, ER32, DA collet holders, tons of side lock inch holders in all standard sizes

General view of the rest of my crowded garage

Garage%20Lathes.jpg

I would still be very interested in information on the machine or its spindle. And thanks to everyone who has had the patience to deal with my lack of posting skills this week.

Karl
Staver Locomotive LLC
Affordable Steam Engines LLC

Forgot about your spindle question...

The different charts you have are for different spindle drive configurations. The ones I worked on were the 8K version.

This is going by 20+ year old memories so reader beware.....

As far as I recall the motor was the same in all them, they just used different timing pulley ratios to change the 8k max motor speed to the various spindle speeds.

The 8K is a 1:1 drive. The 4k is a 2:1 drive and the 12k is 1:1.5 drive. There would different parameters in the CNC and PMC to configure the control to match the mechanical configuration.

Congrats!

I like a good read.

I was just in Portland. wish I knew you were there, I might have requested a look at your shop!

I have a CHNC1 that runs Mach3. Love those Hardinge's!

1991 OM Mate?

With Rigid Tapping?

Are you sure on that year?
Sounds more like 2001 than 1991 to me.
???

My FIL says that his Goat runs better on one 4 as the original 6 pack. He tried to sell it a few yrs ago, not sure if he got a fish on the line or not?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

1991 OM Mate?

With Rigid Tapping?

Are you sure on that year?
Sounds more like 2001 than 1991 to me.
???

No, 1991 is right. Tree and Kira broke apart around the mid 90s.

I first played with rigid tapping with a Fanuc in 89 on a Makino and Brother had rigid tapping at least as early as 86.

I bought a near identical machine in February 2015. I was able to get the Kira manuals thru Hartwig in Dallas.
OPERATION MANUAL $200.00
9PARTS LIST $235.00
ELECTRICAL DIAGRAM $200.00
LADDER $365.00

I got the Fanuc manuals with the machine but no Tree/Kira manuals. There was a ladder diagram stuck in one of the Fanuc manuals.(Yay!)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...memeory-questions-312407/?highlight=tree/kira
There was only the minimum memory in the machine (8000 bytes). I upgraded that by buying the memory chips(D43256AC-12L) online for 7 bucks each, plugged them in the memory board and changed parameters so I have some 49000 bytes. Sorry, Tulip and other memory upgraders.

According to Vancbiker, the O-Mate control will not accept the full memory that O control will. I haven't challenged that.

On my machine, the ladder displays, but has no info at all. No search functions, no addresses, nothing but bare nekked ladder lines.

No Macro B. So there is no macro for toolchange, has to be longhand.

This is the programmed tool change:

G91
G28 M19
G30 Z0
T2 (3/4 KILLER BEE) M06
G28 Z0.
G54 G90 G0 X4.125 Y0.0

To do a manual tool change, place control in MDI and do the first 4 lines and place the tool you want into the clamps, then MDI the rest of the sequence. Last step only need to enter G90. Or you can single block the toolchange sequence. We usually disconnect the air when setting up a bunch of tools because the noise is annoying.

You can remove a tool from the spindle by twisting the slotted round thing in the middle of the turret. Big ass screwdriver (and small crescent wrench) will do the job. Seems like the manual mentions a special wrench to do this.

Search for "Tree/Kira", alphonso in this forum to find the posts I made in 2015 when I got the machine.

I have an 89 machine with an OM Mate control that rigid taps no problem. Was just doing some 10-32 holes the other day at 1000rpm. Works great.

Back