What's new
What's new

New Machine Day! Sharp SV-2412

Rick Finsta

Stainless
New to me 2005 Sharp SV-2412 with 0i-Mate MC and a few options. Has around 6500 hours cutting aircraft landing gear parts and just had some maintenance done on the ballscrews/bearings. Getting delivered today! Got the shop set up and ready, I hope I don't have trouble with the 80" door, as Sharp does say that it'll go under a 78" opening with the Z-Axis servo removed so we'll see...

I set up an Atlas-Copco GX2FF and Phase Perfect PT-380 for air and power, respectively, and ran Rapidair Maxline 1/2" ID semi-rigid for the air line. I love it - you can stand right next to the compressor and converter while they are running and have a conversation at normal levels.

It's going to be tight, and I'm not happy with how close to the edge of a slab I'll be, but I shouldn't have issues. I can always move the wife's car over a little bit.

I'll update after delivery!

20180102_172926.jpg

20180118_123616.jpg

Ha! It's the wife's car. Mine is the race car hiding in a few of the pictures. I'm officially out of room unless I want to fit a little Tormach turning center LOL.

I had less than a half inch of clearance going into a door that is 79" (the original plan was to move it in the slightly taller door and then move it over on skates, but the riggers didn't have skates for some reason?). A gentleman from the machinery dealer popped over to reinstall the Z-Axis servo and now I just have a single trip to the hardware store for an allen head bolt and an air line fitting and I should be up and running this evening!

20180118_134032.jpg

20180118_134613.jpg

20180118_152108.jpg

The riggers were very accommodating - they don't do a lot of stuff that isn't just driving stuff through doors on forklifts, I guess. I'll post some video of it running when I get there.

I got it running last night, the air filter/regulator is cracked so I'll need a new filter/regulator/lubricator setup, and it is giving me the Z-axis APC error, and also giving me a Z-axis battery error. I'll replace the battery and try to rezero and go from there. Also, turns out I somehow completely missed this, but it is actually a 0i-Mate MB. It had been advertised an a 0i-MC and when I went to look at it I noticed it was a Mate but was so preoccupied checking the machine over otherwise I didn't notice the "MB." Oh, well. I think it is only a five block look-ahead difference.

I've gotta get the table moved so I can level this thing!

I got it running last night, the air filter/regulator is cracked so I'll need a new filter/regulator/lubricator setup
I went to adjust the pressure on mine one day, and the FRL blew up in my hand. Replaced it with a good one from SMC.

Also, turns out I somehow completely missed this, but it is actually a 0i-Mate MB. It had been advertised an a 0i-MC and when I went to look at it I noticed it was a Mate but was so preoccupied checking the machine over otherwise I didn't notice the "MB." Oh, well. I think it is only a five block look-ahead difference.
Mine is a 2005 and has the Oi-Mate MB. When you said yours was an MC it kind of surprised me.

Recommend a 1/2" air line, the tool changer is fussy about air volume. You are sitting right next to the receiver, so that will help. I've developed the habit of not using the air hose during tool changes...

Yeah I've got the 1/2" ID line all the way to the machine - I had heard they can be picky. This one does have the reservoir on the back to help with that.

Problems with the Z-axis. I'm trying to reset the position after the servo was removed/replaced for the move, and I can't get the Z axis to physically move. The X and Y will. I'm looking into it now...

HA! What a dummy I am. I was getting a 1740 alarm for the tool changer backwards position. I needed to push it back a millimeter or so that the Z axis wasn't locked from movement. Must be an interlock.

Up next, now that I've got Z out of the way and can move the table around - leveling. I might try to wiggle this thing across the floor a few inches as well - I'd like it to be a little further from the edge of this concrete pad.

Do I pull the way covers and level across the ways like on a lathe, or do I use the table?

HA! What a dummy I am. I was getting a 1740 alarm for the tool changer backwards position. I needed to push it back a millimeter or so that the Z axis wasn't locked from movement. Must be an interlock.

Up next, now that I've got Z out of the way and can move the table around - leveling. I might try to wiggle this thing across the floor a few inches as well - I'd like it to be a little further from the edge of this concrete pad.

Do I pull the way covers and level across the ways like on a lathe, or do I use the table?
Use the table.

Thanks - I found a really good explanation on Haas's website. I've got her moved, leveled, and trammed; now I'm just waiting for the regulator/filter/oiler to show up with the mailman and I should be verifying operation with a program in a few hours!

Everything is hooked up and she is ready to make chips!

20180120_155512.jpg

I did notice what sounds like a slow air leak from the upper spindle area once I turn off everything in the shop. I'll have to look into that. Now date night with the wife, and tomorrow I'll cut something!

I've got a newer one, its had a very small air leak in the head from day 1. I never checked what/where it is exactly, it seems quite minimal and never got worse on mine. When I shut it all down I cut the air supply off anyway.

Thats not a leak air blows thru the spindle housing
to help keep the bearings cool.
There are two regulators on the back of the machine
one controls the speed of the carousel moving over to the spindle and the other regulator controls
the air thru the spindle. I keep mine turned off.
Don;t care to hear to it. I've kept it off scene I bought the machine in 2005.

Rick I have the same machine you have may I ask
what they sell for.

Also could you tell me more about the ball screw bearing witch bearing was it.

Their air in the spindle seal is to keep the coolant and crap out of it, pretty sure its kind of important, on mine that just seems to turn on when the spindle runs. Unless it never full shuts off even when the whole machine is off. I assumed what I've been hearing is a small leak by a push fitting or some such, either way I close the air off to the machine when I'm done so it doesn't drain the compressor or get wet air in there while the dryer isn't running.

One thing I still find weird is the oil cup on top of the spindle for the draw bar or something doesn't seem to take any of the oil that's in it.

Kallam I found this one for around $13k and the dealer had purchased it as part of a lot from a long time customer of theirs. They had it listed for nearly twice that but I also saw a few others come up at the end of the year in the $12.5-14.5k range "real" price (not advertised). They had performed the maintenance so I don't know what parts they used. I can look in the manuals for part numbers if that would help; let me know.

I actually thought the regulator/filter/oiler at the start of the flow path through the machine was lubricating the spindle bearings with the air flush - I don't see a cup on the head but I'll take another look.

I fought a tool changer issue today - it was throwing a 1940 code. I thought it may have been an artifact of the z-axis servo losing its absolute position, so I started by taking the ATC position (parameter 1241) and back-calculating to get my new absolute Z zero (parameter 1815) in the same place it was prior to being disconnected. I thought it a bit clever, anyways. It turns out I was already close enough for the machine - I just needed to adjust the sensor bracket up near the cable raceway on the column so it was fully engaging on the "dog" as the manual called it (well, a First MCV-300 manual, at least). I cleaned up the whole umbrella area while I was at it and everything is working great.

Once I got that sorted I mixed a batch of coolant (Xtreme Cut 250C at 7%) and learned G/M codes. I've got the basics down, though I keep reversing +/- in my head. Luckily there is that sticker on the back wall of the cabinet! Next I need to learn tool offsets and work offsets and I'm ready to cut for real. I've got some paying work to take care of - manual milling and welding work on some intake manifolds - so I might not get back to it for a few days.

though I keep reversing +/- in my head. Luckily there is that sticker on the back wall of the cabinet! Next I need to learn tool offsets and work offsets and I'm ready to cut for real. I've got some paying work to take care of - manual milling and welding work on some intake manifolds - so I might not get back to it for a few days.

What has always worked for people that I have taught is always imagine the tool moving... not the table. So X+ right Y+ away from you.

What has always worked for people that I have taught is always imagine the tool moving... not the table. So X+ right Y+ away from you.

It's funny, that is easy for me in CAM since the tool moves on the screen but really hard when I'm trying to jog the table with the pendant! Luckily I'll be doing pretty much everything using CAD/CAM. It looks like this one does have the Manual Guide (v1.000!) for conversational programming which was an option I didn't expect to see on the 0i-Mate. It might be that the interface comes up and you can poke around but it won't generate code or something, I'll play with it someday when I'm bored.

Burnished my first workpiece on a CNC today! Not quite chips yet... I'm still working on the offsets thing. I think I need to change Parameter 5002.4 to 0 to stop it from trying to overtravel Z when I call a G43 from the tool change position. I'm using a Haimer 3D Taster and a 2" tall tool setter to basically make the Haimer my workpiece zero standard and also my tool offset zero standard. The tool setter I've got had two gauge pins at 2" exactly so I can set the Haimer to that, then set my tools to the Haimer. Still working out the details, though...

VMC - first chips. - YouTube

........I think I need to change Parameter 5002.4 to 0 to stop it from trying to overtravel Z when I call a G43 from the tool change position.....

According to my parameter manual all bits of the 5002 parameter apply to the lathe version of the 0i control.

When you post your code per NAST's request, include the values you have in the tool length offset and what you have in the Z offset of whatever fixture offset you are using.

Last edited:

Back