What's new
What's new

New Machine day.... Well a couple months ago

dstryr

Diamond
Been working the most we have ever this year. 6-7 days a week 12-14 hours a day trying to keep up. Forgot to post this up on here.
This machine has been a god send for us. I lost sleep on the countless times going back and forth in my head about the amount of money and the risks but after 2 months of getting 140-150 hours of cycle time a week I am convinced. I'm hoping as I add more parts to the machine I wont be working 7 days a week in 2017... hoping is the key word. We have been truly lucky to break away into a niche and be able to grow this much. Lots of hard work, crazy hours and deadline but it all comes down to meeting the right customers and getting them to come back.

Crazy to think when I first post a major thread about my shop we were just moving into this 4000 sq ft space with a New Doosan vertical. 6 years later and the space is maxed out and we have grown the shop 4x over in such a short time. We are also running 2 shifts with 8 employees now vs the 5 people we used to run just on day shift. Lot of gut wrenching nights and probably 10 36 hour straight spells but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Machine
Yasda PX30i
33 pallets
310 tools

Truly shoe horned it into the space we are in for the next few years. 0 shops available between 6-10k sq ft here and rent is $1.00 NNN so we are utilizing as much as we can. For those curious to see what I mean about shoe horned....

Instagram

yasda8.jpgyasda7.jpgyasda6.jpgyasda5.jpgyasda4.jpg

Congrats! That's a phenomenal machine and should definitely attract some forward thinking and valuable clients.

Good on you Dennis! Best of luck man! And, congrats! On the new iron, and continued growth.

Just went and watched a youtube vid on that thing. Gotdamn that is bad-ass! And quick too.
So, did you also buy 33 vises?

That is a damn impressive machine.

How you holding out on power in that place?! LOL

Congrats! That's a phenomenal machine and should definitely attract some forward thinking and valuable clients.

Being in the Bay Area competition is so tough out here that this has been the only way to stay busy. The shop is in a small town away from the bay area and there are probably atleast 30 machine shops here. 10 of them are huge! And I'm 30 minutes away from the real cluster of Santa Clara where there are 30 shops on each block lol.

This is our 4th 5-axis machine and if I had more money and a clone I could buy a second PX30i and still be too busy. Its crazy. I leave that because engineers are inexperienced and make everything for this market... even though lots of parts we make could be accomplished in 3 axis methods if designed correctly and save time and money.

Good on you Dennis! Best of luck man! And, congrats! On the new iron, and continued growth.

Just went and watched a youtube vid on that thing. Gotdamn that is bad-ass! And quick too.
So, did you also buy 33 vises?

That is a damn impressive machine.

How you holding out on power in that place?! LOL

Couple of the jobs use dedicated fixtures
I bought 10 vises for 1 job.
And I use my own homebrew dovetails for the rest of the parts.

Right now I have 3 jobs loaded up. About 18 hours of time between loading.

Out of power now. Before this showed up I had the electrician monitor the load and he recommended that I not add anything else ...LOL

Wow, talk about good use of space, "shoe horned" looks like your actually using a great percentage of square footage, which keeps waste down. $1 and nnn is cheap as far as warehouse space goes out here in Seattle.

What percentage would you say you attempt to market and seek out customers, vs customers finding you?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Congrats on the success.
Never seen a Yasda installed.
musta missed the thread where you decided against a Matsuura.

Wow, talk about good use of space, "shoe horned" looks like your actually using a great percentage of square footage, which keeps waste down. $1 and nnn is cheap as far as warehouse space goes out here in Seattle.

What percentage would you say you attempt to market and seek out customers, vs customers finding you?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The $1NNN isnt terrible but there is nothing larger available between 4000 and 15000. Big Goose egg of properties available.
As far as customers I'd say we are probably 75% advertising and constantly looking and 25% word of mouth, people finding us.

I thought i was tight on space...

It gets uncomfortable at times... Im counting down the next few years until my lease is up.

Congrats on the success.
Never seen a Yasda installed.
musta missed the thread where you decided against a Matsuura.

Selway didnt give me a good warm feeling inside. The Methods service and support is top notch. The main tech came from Ellison for 10+ years before the DMG merger and I met him when we bought our NH5000. You mention his name to other brands and they all know who he is. Very few techs I've met that could come close to knowing half of what this Methods guy does...

I like having unicorns in my shop lol... Quaser, Grob, and now Yasda.

Hermle by 2019 to complete the whole set!

Just keep the boxes, or the collector value plummets.

Nah. They are pretty much 99% Heidenhain and I would saw off my left arm before I added ANOTHER controller to the shop.
The next thing is to replace one or two of my long time hero S2A with an R450 in sometime in 2017. They deserve a nice retirement in someones garage for the 17 years of great service they have given us.
;) (Heres looking at you Andy)

Nah. They are pretty much 99% Heidenhain and I would saw off my left arm before I added ANOTHER controller to the shop.
The next thing is to replace one or two of my long time hero S2A with an R450 in sometime in 2017. They deserve a nice retirement in someones garage for the 17 years of great service they have given us.
;) (Heres looking at you Andy)

I am coming by in the morning to see the new Ninja production machine. I was thinking the R450 would fit nicely into the prep area. 2017 will work just fine. ;)

That's really impressive growth. Have you taken the lead on programming and figuring those controls out or did you hire guys who did?

Good luck in 2017.

That's really impressive growth. Have you taken the lead on programming and figuring those controls out or did you hire guys who did?

Good luck in 2017.

I handle the complex 5 axis jobs and production programming and my younger brother has been handling the 3+2 smaller quantity jobs on our Quaser 4+1 machines and verticals.

Back