What's new
What's new

New material height switch? APM tool setter?

gundog

Hot Rolled
I destroyed my second material height switch and at a cost of $395 I am not buying another one. I will back up a little I have a CNC router and it has a switch you set on top of the material that consists of a round switch with a plunger that runs normal closed when any tool in the spindle touches off to this switch set on top of the material it breaks the connection and there is a macro that determines the offset. This is my second in 3 years every so often it doesn't work and destroys the plastic plunger. I have decided to try a APM tool setter I found on ebay for about $120 has anyone tried one of these it says they are made in the US but the dial indicator it uses looks like an import? The old electronic switch was only repeatable to about .005" but good enough for what I do so I figure this one should at least match that. The tool setter is 3" long so a simple g92 z3 after I get it set is only seconds longer that the auto Z function on the control with the old crap switch. The machine is a Shop Sabre IS 510 with a 10 tool changer wine rack style. Control system is a WINCNC which is a decent control system it has been pretty much trouble free for 3 years except this material height switch. The machine has a dedicated tool height switch that is accurate and so far has been trouble free it is mounted to the tool rack at one end.

This is the one I bought APM CNC tool pre setter z axis touch off gage length offset height NEW

I did a search on here and did not find anything. I saw the Pro Tools one but I liked this one better because I can tilt the indicator to get a good view with the router it has a dust shoe that obstructs the view I am hoping this one is better for viewing.
Mike

That linked tool looks a little hokey but may work fine. You could make a stand for a name brand ADG indicator and be done with it if you have a mill available. Another idea might be to just put the indicator in a surface gage or small height gage and figure out a way to check it and keep it set on a regular basis.
Dan

I have purchased a 5 axis mill stop from APM, he makes first class stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

I received my tool setter today I am very happy with it, it seems to be very quality made and will do exactly what I need to do. I used it today and I have to say I think it is faster than the old routine and I always had to double check the old switch with a gauge block because I had to scrap $$ worth of parts that I did not check with the old one that ended up .050" off. Funny thing is this came from the next town over about 10 miles away I never noticed that when I ordered it but I noticed the shipping label when it arrived. I should look the guy up he makes nice stuff. I snapped a couple pictures of it in use today.

The reason I did not make something like was suggested is it cost me $120 and my shop time is $100 an hour it did not pencil out.

I just want to add I have no connection with this company I just found this doing an ebay search.

Attachments

• 20170807_124822.jpg
    20170807_124822.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 473
  • 20170807_125041.jpg
    20170807_125041.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 462
I'm glad that you're satisfied with the tool. I just purchased one myself two days ago(from eBay). I was a little hesitant, but I seems like a well built unit.

Thanks for the update. :)

APM toll setter, great quality!

I destroyed my second material height switch and at a cost of $395 I am not buying another one. I will back up a little I have a CNC router and it has a switch you set on top of the material that consists of a round switch with a plunger that runs normal closed when any tool in the spindle touches off to this switch set on top of the material it breaks the connection and there is a macro that determines the offset. This is my second in 3 years every so often it doesn't work and destroys the plastic plunger. I have decided to try a APM tool setter I found on ebay for about $120 has anyone tried one of these it says they are made in the US but the dial indicator it uses looks like an import? The old electronic switch was only repeatable to about .005" but good enough for what I do so I figure this one should at least match that. The tool setter is 3" long so a simple g92 z3 after I get it set is only seconds longer that the auto Z function on the control with the old crap switch. The machine is a Shop Sabre IS 510 with a 10 tool changer wine rack style. Control system is a WINCNC which is a decent control system it has been pretty much trouble free for 3 years except this material height switch. The machine has a dedicated tool height switch that is accurate and so far has been trouble free it is mounted to the tool rack at one end.

This is the one I bought APM CNC tool pre setter z axis touch off gage length offset height NEW

I did a search on here and did not find anything. I saw the Pro Tools one but I liked this one better because I can tilt the indicator to get a good view with the router it has a dust shoe that obstructs the view I am hoping this one is better for viewing.
Mike

I also have a Shopsabre IS 612, I destroyed the OEM electrical material height switch in about 3 months and also was quoted for a replacement for 395 USD, same one as explained above. I did research at other options and thought about making my own but decided for this APM option. So far I feel so happy I choose this option, great quality, it works great and the process is fast and accurate enough for my needs (between .001 - .005), I have not connection with APM o know them but I recommend this product. I bought it in Ebay. I'm a happy customer. :)

That APM unit looks like a good solution to me.

I made my own (see below) The way I zero this thing is probably useful for the APM unit too:

1) Set up a pair of 1-2-3 blocks, or two stacks of gauge blocks (3" tall) on a surface plate a few inches apart and set a parallel across them.
2) Push down the plunger on the indicator and slide the rig under the parallel, letting the plunger come up against the parallel.
3) Adjust the indicator bezel to read ZERO with only light finger pressure on the parallel to keep it down on the blocks.

I recheck that zero from time to time to verify it.

Here's a shop-made solution that repeats to better than .001" on tool length.
It's an old Federal .001" indicator and a chunk of aluminum from the scrap barrel.
There's a 1/4-20 grub-screw in the back (not shown) to lock the indicator in a drilled/reamed 3/8" hole.
I put the whole mess on the tool grinder and lightly brushed the top of the screw that serves as the touch-pad.

Tool_Offset_Indicator.jpg

Back