What's new
What's new

New to me Fadal

chad883

Cast Iron
Just got a 1997 3016HT. Got it set and powered, working on cleaning and checking it out. When I hand wheel the Y axis .01 step, it does not move on the first step. I pulled the way cover, and with power on I can move the ball screw and the table moves. I am thinking it is the motor to ball screw coupling. Any advise is welcome.

First make sure your display is actually showing .010 movement. I think when I reverse my fadal the first click of the wheel may have no movement effect but it is a software thing. basically the hand wheel didn't actually tell the machine to move .010. after you have confirmed that it was commanded to move then you are into lash. Doubtfully it is the screw itself. coupler slipping is likely, maybe most likely then something loose in the mounts and of course thrust bearings. All of it is work, but being fadal it should be relatively cheap.

Just got a 1997 3016HT. Got it set and powered, working on cleaning and checking it out. When I hand wheel the Y axis .01 step, it does not move on the first step. I pulled the way cover, and with power on I can move the ball screw and the table moves. I am thinking it is the motor to ball screw coupling. Any advise is welcome.

The most common source of wear in Fadal axes is thrust bearings. First check the thrust backlash (indicator on end of screw).

It's generally considered good practice to replace all thrusts and lube metering units. It's common on cooled screw machines for the thrusts to get contaminated when the seals stop sealing on the coolant unions. The abrasive grit picked up by the cooling system circulates in the coolant and wears the seal/screw interface, then coolant contaminates the grease in the thrusts, causing them to wear out.

Thrusts and bellville washers are common maintenance items on Fadals.

Back