What's new
What's new

New (to me) Twin Matsuura MC-500V VMCs

Tedward4

Plastic
Hi All,

I figured I'd post my new machines here. I've been casually looking around for a CNC mill for some time now, and finally came across a machine I could afford. About a month ago, I bought two Matsuura MC-500V machines from a company ~60 miles away, for $1000. One machine runs and one has a memory board problem. Both machines are 1980 with Yasnac 3000g/M5G. I'm running it off an American Rotary AR10 RPC. The internal memory is pretty limited, so I'm drip feeding via parallel port. I'm very pleased with the MC-500V so far. The control is definitely limited, but for hobby use, it works great!

IMG_2852.jpg IMG_2935.jpg IMG_2844.jpg IMG_2920.jpg IMG_2902.jpg

What kind of parts are you making/plan on making with your machines? Are you going to get the second machine running, or just keep it around for parts?

What kind of parts are you making/plan on making with your machines? Are you going to get the second machine running, or just keep it around for parts?

Most of the parts I cut are prototype parts out of aluminum and steel. I may try to find a few small production jobs for running in my spare time. At the very least, I plan on keeping the second machine for parts. Depending on the complexity of the problem with the memory board, I may repair it. If it's too involved for me to repair (previous owner was quoted $1500 for a new PCBA), I may convert to LinuxCNC. The non running machine is in slightly better condition, so I'd hate to send it off as scrap.

Very Cool! If you're already making parts, you got a great deal for a grand! Keep us up to speed on the repairs - maybe start a shop thread?

Brent
Matsuura 510V, Yasnac MX3

Awesome! Matsuura's Iron is legendary.

Your only concerns are the electronics but with a second machine to canibalize for parts you are covered.

Part finish looks good, any close ups of the side milling finish texture? I was looking at a pair of these for 3k but they would have needed to be shipped 800+ miles so I figured for that price a 1996 Torq Cut 22 was a better gamble condition-wise.

Still thinking about trying one anyways to have a second mill incase one breaks.

You two should realize that the original poster has not logged in to this site for a year and two months. The chances of a reply are slim.

You two should realize that the original poster has not logged in to this site for a year and two months. The chances of a reply are slim.

I also realized that an email is normally dispatched when a new post is made so the chances go up if the person has the time to reply or is still alive. Either way its not going to make or break me ;)

Part finish looks good, any close ups of the side milling finish texture? I was looking at a pair of these for 3k but they would have needed to be shipped 800+ miles so I figured for that price a 1996 Torq Cut 22 was a better gamble condition-wise.

Still thinking about trying one anyways to have a second mill incase one breaks.

Sorry for the delay. I took a couple pics of the side of the part. It's kind of hard to see in the picture, but the finish is okay. I used a HSS end mill, so nothing fancy. The machine does pause slightly on commands so there is usually a little pause mark. Not a huge deal for me, but kind of annoying.
692.jpg 693.jpg

Great deal, did you pull the VMC onto that trailer with a winch or did a forklift put it on?

The shop I bought from had a 7k forklift. It placed the machine in front of the wheel wells on the trailer, but obviously way too much tongue weight. We pulled the machine back with two come a longs. The forklift couldn't quite pull it back as the shop floor was smooth concrete.

Back