What's new
What's new

New to me_ Okuma Captain L470

toolmaker96

Hot Rolled
Acquired a 2004 Okuma Captain L470 with 4000 spindle hrs. Machine could use a bit of touch up paint but mechanically is in great shape.
IMG_1154.jpgIMG_1153.jpgIMG_1152.jpg15" chuck, 24" max swing, & 50" between centers.

We are having a couple issues if anyone might be able to help. Machine came with all manuals related to the control, but does not seem to have the main mechanical machine manual. I am going to call the dealer 1st of the week & see if any books were left behind. In the mean time, would anyone happen to have a PDF version?
Also, we are looking all over the machine & cant seem to find the air connection point. Anybody have an idea where the air plumbing would be?

If your machine doesn't have an auto door or parts catcher etc it might not have an air connection. If it does it is usually in the back right corner, maybe under a guard. Hope this helps. Daryl

If your machine doesn't have an auto door or parts catcher etc it might not have an air connection. If it does it is usually in the back right corner, maybe under a guard. Hope this helps. Daryl

Thanks Daryl, it does indeed help. We came to the conclusion that their is indeed no air. I was thinking that the touch off arm was air actuated, turns out you just manually pull into position.

To the guy that hooked me up with my missing manuals already, thanks a bunch.

That is a nice looking machine, very clean. It's nice to see a 10 year old machine that has been well taken care of. You should see some of the newer machines I get to work on...zero maintenance, missing covers, broken door glass etc. I like how the covers aren't all banged up. :D

That is a nice looking machine, very clean. It's nice to see a 10 year old machine that has been well taken care of. You should see some of the newer machines I get to work on...zero maintenance, missing covers, broken door glass etc. I like how the covers aren't all banged up. :D

Yeah, it is funny we are primarily a milling shop so I was looking for a mid 90's machine that I would not spend a ton of money on. I ran across this machine and while it was way more money than I was planning on spending, once I looked at the machine & found that it only had 4k hrs, it was just to good of deal to pass up.
Only thing I am not sold on is the whole direct drive thing. Sure makes for a smooth sounding spindle though!!

Nice machine congrats.

Just curious, roughly how many $ for a used machine that size in that condition?

Back