What's new
What's new

New Purchase Tree J425. Need help.

simpledong

Plastic
Hi All,
I just won a eBay bidding on a Tree J425.
Tree Journeyman 425 CNC Milling Machine | eBay
It is in a reasonable condition based on the picture.
I know too little about this mill. Does anyone has experience on this machine, or a copy of manual?
Any input is appreciated!
BTW, any advice on moving a 5500lb mill into a two car garage will be greatly appreciated.
s-l1600.jpg

Hi All,
I just won a eBay bidding on a Tree J425.
Tree Journeyman 425 CNC Milling Machine | eBay
It is in a reasonable condition based on the picture.
I know too little about this mill. Does anyone has experience on this machine, or a copy of manual?
Any input is appreciated!
BTW, any advice on moving a 5500lb mill into a two car garage will be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 185657

If you don't know how it would be money well spent to hire a rigger. watch and learn, then you can move your next machine.

Check out the YouTube channel tesla500, he has a 325 and has several videos on moving it, and fixing lots of problems.

They are fairly old tech by today's standards (25-30yo) and can have lots of problems, depending on who owned them. That picture tells me nothing, but suggests that you may need to do a teardown to understand exactly what condition it is in.

Some things that are pretty much mandatory for a mill like that are a) checking that all lube orifices are actually working at the slideway b) Check the thrust bearings on the ballscrews for endplay c) indicate any backlash in ballscrews after B d) check the brush lengths in each motor to ensure they are not too short e) disconnect the belts and run the axis motors to make sure the bearings are good and resolvers sound good f) check the spindle drive belt g) check the spindle motor bearings without spindle connected h) check spindle bearings for noise after previous steps i) make sure any backup batteries are replaced (when machine is powered on) j) make sure all cooling fans are functioning properly

Yes, you are right@Perry Harrington. I expect a lot of work before getting a 20 years machine working properly. probably need to replace some bearings, ball screws or even get rid of the old control system. Just hope I don't have to re-scrape the ways;-)

Back