What's new
What's new

New Schaublin VMC

15/25K rpm, BT-30/HSK-40 Royal Spindle. Mitsubishi M70-VA Control.

Nice to see ISO 10791-7 test piece actually be cut :-) and similar tests. Also nice to see the various tolerances explicitly put out there but I wonder in this case whether the test values are more than smidge better than the tolerances? (Some companies supply test sheets very readily and some it's like pulling teeth... (even if the test sheets are very sound/good)).

Also wonder what the rotational repeatability and accuracy values are for the various 4+1 options?

Looks like a sweet machine... Any idea how much?

Cheers,

Eric

Nice to see ISO 10791-7 test piece actually be cut :-) and similar tests. Also nice to see the various tolerances explicitly put out there but I wonder in this case whether the test values are more than smidge better than the tolerances? (Some companies supply test sheets very readily and some it's like pulling teeth... (even if the test sheets are very sound/good)).

Also wonder what the rotational repeatability and accuracy values are for the various 4+1 options?

Cheers,

Eric

Eric,

I would bet money that is a Taiwan built machine with Schaublins name. probably same machine that Mitsubishi is selling with their name on it.

looks like a red robodrill to me. which makes me wonder....was robodrill the first machine tool of its kind or did they copy someone else? because clearly some one is copying someone. robos, mori mill tap, brothers, im sure im missing some. all very similar. hats off to haas for not copying them yet haha

Its a production machine so I'm guessing its priced to compete with the similarly sized Brother. It has a different feature set than a Fehlmann or a Mikron so it can't really be compared for price directly. It will have a premium Swiss price, I'm sure.

These are really new. Maybe they haven't even shipped one to a customer yet? If you're thinking of buying a Hardinge you could give Schaublin a call and get a comp. The Hardinge GX480 and the Schaublin 48V are the same machine.

The contact info for Schaublin ==> SCHAUBLIN MACHINES SA - Contact Their phone number is at the bottom of the web page. If you are on Mountain time then we are 8 hours ahead of you.

looks like a red robodrill to me. which makes me wonder....was robodrill the first machine tool of its kind or did they copy someone else? because clearly some one is copying someone. robos, mori mill tap, brothers, im sure im missing some. all very similar. hats off to haas for not copying them yet haha

For a production machine this style toolchanger is just superior. So simple.

RoboMiller....might wanna keep that hat on.

Haas did their own variation on these machines with their DM lineup. A Drill Mill Tap machine...but use a sidemount with tool arm...

I never had much of a need, but a quick read gives the impression of a lighter duty Haas Mill with faster rapids. I could be 100% off base...but they lable'em as Drill tap mills...

Its a production machine so I'm guessing its priced to compete with the similarly sized Brother. It has a different feature set than a Fehlmann or a Mikron so it can't really be compared for price directly. It will have a premium Swiss price, I'm sure.

These are really new. Maybe they haven't even shipped one to a customer yet? If you're thinking of buying a Hardinge you could give Schaublin a call and get a comp. The Hardinge GX480 and the Schaublin 48V are the same machine.

The contact info for Schaublin ==> SCHAUBLIN MACHINES SA - Contact Their phone number is at the bottom of the web page. If you are on Mountain time then we are 8 hours ahead of you.

I poked around on their web site, and lot of the VMC's seem identical to the Bridgeport/Harding offerings... So that actually bolsters my confidence with the Hardinge line up and also confirms that the Taiwanese/Quaser group certainly seem to be turning out solid machines. And YES anything with a swiss flag/moniker on it spells extra $$$$. My "Switze Deutch" is a bit rusty but should definitely give them a buzz at the right time. I wonder how those will be supported in the U.S. and by whom? The lathe offerings seem quite tempting, I think possibly for me with the Hardinge lathes I have a bit more breathing room with part sizes as the maximum turning diameters are a bit smaller on the Schaublin machines (but not bad at all)... The hard turning capability seems quite credible from their videos at least.

Cheers,

Eric

My "Switze Deutch" is a bit rusty but should definitely give them a buzz at the right time.

In Bévilard they speak French, but anyone on the phones will be multi-lang.

Wonder how those will be supported in the U.S. and by whom? The lathe offerings seem quite tempting, I think possibly for me with the Hardinge lathes I have a bit more breathing room with part sizes as the maximum turning diameters are a bit smaller on the Schaublin machines...

Schaublin and Harding have (had) a non-compete agreement, they try not to sell into each others home regions.

The hard turning capability seems quite credible from their videos at least.

So you saw the 137-11ax video with all the tricks?

I am aware of "Robodrills" from the mid 70's or so, I worked in a shop that had one. It had linear X and Y motors but the same basic tool changer. It was called a Pratt & Whitney Tape Mate model A.

I am aware of "Robodrills" from the mid 70's or so, I worked in a shop that had one. It had linear X and Y motors but the same basic tool changer. It was called a Pratt & Whitney Tape Mate model A.

Indexing Automatic Drills have been around since 1960 or so. I saw an old one that Okuma built about that time frame and then the most famous was the Burgmaster.

As much as these machines look the same, they are not alike except in how they look. The Brother is very much different in how mechanically it presents the tool and releases the tool.

In Bévilard they speak French, but anyone on the phones will be multi-lang.

Schaublin and Harding have (had) a non-compete agreement, they try not to sell into each others home regions.

So you saw the 137-11ax video with all the tricks?

Definitely relevant to the kinds of parts and mechanisms we need to produce. So I am not clear on what constitutes a "Home region" in terms of "non compete" clause, but sounds promising/potential opportunity.[I lived in the SW France for a time but my "Francais Swisse" is even worse than my "Techniche Switze Deutch" so English will definitely help :-)].

Looking again at the HSM video, when you blow the youtube video up to full screen display; the indicated traverses look really good especially the X axis traverse... Obviously under active and true cutting conditions things go a little different (with spindle runnout and vibration etc.) but with the high speed spindle and light(ish) cuts looks like we could hit the numbers/tolerances we are going for/definitely in that neighborhood/ball park.

Thanks for sharing.

Eric

Looks like this invention is solely Fanuc's.

Automatic tool changer of a machine tool: US 4610074 A, Sept 9, 1986.

I was trying to dig up the patent for that too.

"To render a plurality of avains to a substantially different metabolic state by means of lithic projectile, including but not limited to...".

I.e. To kill two birds with one stone...

Typically a U.S. patent examiner will raise a 103 (type) objection, where he or she will cite two different inventions and will state that the combination of the two is "Obvious" to one of "Ordinary skill in the art"... Usually to bust those you have to demonstrate that neither one of the cited documents teaches of the combination and somehow you have to demonstrate that it is not obvious... Which can be difficult to do some times when the patent examiner has just been "educated" in excruciating detail of the new method and system you are trying to patent.

It was interesting that the Tormach 'Duality Lathe" had no issue with the US patent examiners in terms of previously cited art as none one before had found the need to mount a small lathe on a bigger mill and use the mill's spindle in a unique way to "turn"...

Funny thing is, Schaublin is now offering the Mitsubishi control on their teach in lathes. The same make of spindle goes in Kellenburger grinders, and Kellenburger is in the Hardinge group.

I have to admit with their new "teach in lathes", like the 180-CCN, looks really good/ nice... I like how open the machine appears and how within limits you can be a little bit more hands on and use a bit more "feel" in the setup up... The design of their steady rests look really nice. I think they market the machine as good for prototyping and small to medium scale production; might be a good fit for me VS Hardinge H-51 or T series machine but will be interesting to find out how the $ amounts all stack up against each other.

I have to admit with their new "teach in lathes", like the 180-CCN, looks really good/ nice...

I have been lusting after a CCN lathe for a while now. I think the new sheetmetal design, especially for the 125, is a step backwards in terms of both accessibility and visibility. I understand Schaublin's concerns with respect to full guarding and stricter compliance regimes, but they've lost the manual tailstock on all the teach-ins except the low end 225 model. They've also lost the independent MPG handwheels on the 125 and 180. At least with the new sheet metal the controls are out of the splash zone.

I have been lusting after a CCN lathe for a while now. I think the new sheetmetal design, especially for the 125, is a step backwards in terms of both accessibility and visibility. I understand Schaublin's concerns with respect to full guarding and stricter compliance regimes, but they've lost the manual tailstock on all the teach-ins except the low end 225 model. They've also lost the independent MPG handwheels on the 125 and 180. At least with the new sheet metal the controls are out of the splash zone.

Ahhh I see... Hmmm... I've seen only youtube videos of what you are talking about with the older models... So yeah I agree it would have been nice if they could have retained both capabilities. The new "European"/ EEC regulations have imposed a lot of changes on many such style of machine... Even HAAS's. Never the less the CCN -180 does look very nice for the "Job".. .

[Speaking of sheet metal and "design"... The HSM looks like a really nice machine; with the ability to "Swiss-market" something that the red white color scheme is used (Swiss flag), like Swiss army knives, watches etc. etc.. BUT when you add the color "Yellow" to design mix it shifts from Swiss to "Chinese" on first look, especially with the reinforced window grill and go faster stripes on the front door and the use of black it doesn't shout "Swiss" at first look... Not that it matters but if they could "Tweak" that a bit they might fly off the shelves a little more readily and still not look like robodrill or DMG Mori Mill Tap and the like... I note from the video that they don't have the yellow vertical stripes... Are those door sensors or some such for a different application with a robot and the like...

My local DMG sales guy I always ask him about the 'Mill Tap" machine and the answer always comes back NVX5100... :-) Mysterious really.

Back