What's new
What's new

New toToshiba BTD horizontal mills and looking for resources. Help appreciated.

R.Chapman

Plastic
I have been CNC machining for 20 years, started on g-code and moved to Mazaks for the last few years. Starting today I am being moved to the big Toshiba BTD horizontals. The size is not only intimidating, as is the horizontal part and extra axis. I know mastercam but they don't use CAD software at this shop. They just stand at the machine to program it one line at a time. I will be expected to do my own programs and setups within 90 days. I am familiar with G-code and have spent time with it but writing from scratch with no CAD will be new to me. Nervous about this. If anyone has any tips or could point me to any online reference I could use to prepare myself from home and weekends, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Last place I worked bought a 1997 BMC-800 with Tosnuc 888. As supervisor I was tasked with setting it up and learning to operate it and then training personnel how to run it. The BMC is a horizontal with a pallet changer. The control is Toshiba's version of Fanuc (Tosnuc). It is very straight forward to operate. The 888 had some programmable buttons labeled as dice and card suits. These are very handy. I set one up to display operator specific stuff like Distance to go, program, current commands etc. Shouldn't take you long just turn the rapid rate down and go single block.

lie to ur Z, cut air, read what you wrote, edits CAN cause crashs,(read what you wrote)
still large money to be made via fat fingering.
Good luck!
Gw

I have been CNC machining for 20 years, started on g-code and moved to Mazaks for the last few years. Starting today I am being moved to the big Toshiba BTD horizontals. The size is not only intimidating, as is the horizontal part and extra axis. I know mastercam but they don't use CAD software at this shop. They just stand at the machine to program it one line at a time. I will be expected to do my own programs and setups within 90 days. I am familiar with G-code and have spent time with it but writing from scratch with no CAD will be new to me. Nervous about this. If anyone has any tips or could point me to any online reference I could use to prepare myself from home and weekends, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

it probably comes with over 2000 pages of manuals. i would read those first. my recommendation avoid coming down in Z (side ways on horizontal) toward part over on to the part. if you reduce Z off to side of part you can see a problem as it comes across. obviously reduce rapids and feeds and look at distance to go screen running in single block. just saying if you change Z and type wrong number and crash into part obviously it will leave a mark
watch rotating table with Z not brought back for clearance. watch table rotated to proper position before restarting program. obviously you start machining with B or table not in correct position it will be a problem
obviously watch G55 or whatever used is active as well as G43 and G41. restarts need extra care obviously.

I run one of these everyday. Handcoding and such.

This is my absolute favorite control and machine.

If you would like shoot me a PM and I can give you crash course on things to look out for that may be different than you are used to coming from a Fanuc or other type of machine.

Back