What's new
What's new

Nitinol milling & turning on swiss-type automatic

Oren Shatil

Plastic
My experience on machining is mostly on stainless steels & titanium.
I been asked to machine Nitinol F2063 for my first time, 4.0 mm dia bar. The machining includes turning & milling.
So far I experiencing difficulties in machining the alloys, both in turning and milling.
I desperately need good advice regarding machining conditions and/or tools (speed, federate etc).
I use Star sv20 machine.

Oren

A print WITH tolerances would be helpful. You cannot let NiTi get warm at all. Better to do the machining under Nitrogen.

R

I would love to help out, but I can find almost no mention of this material with regard to machining. I have no experience with "shape memory" metals at all.:confused:

Hopefully the day shift will have some ideas for you.

Doug.

Thanks for the answers!
I attach the sketch of the part. dimensions are in mm.
Milled side is front.
1.jpg
Oren

I found the article useful - thanks!!:cheers:
But I still wonder if someone can give me his Recommendations based of actual experience regarding machining conditions and/or tools (speed, federate etc)...

I found the article useful - thanks!!:cheers:
But I still wonder if someone can give me his Recommendations based of actual experience regarding machining conditions and/or tools (speed, federate etc)...

I've done a fair amount of Nitinol machining here and hate the stuff. I do however, enjoy the money from its jobs. If you enjoy 304 Stainless, then you'll love Nitinol. It turns and mills like a VERY gummy 304 Stainless with the added benefit of completely freaking out dimensionally with the slightest amount of generated heat. But, give it a half hour and it will return to its shape and size on its own. ;)

WEDM'ing Nitinol is an exercise in patience due to its thermal reactivity, but if I had to choose I would pick WEDM over turning and milling every single time.

If you drink, go buy a bottle of your favorite poison and place it on the shelf by your front door.

Other than that, it's a breeze. Enjoy!

"If you drink, go buy a bottle of your favorite poison and place it on the shelf by your front door."
No; I don't drink- but I think I will start to…haha.:willy_nilly:
When I turn and mill 304 stainless, I usually turn with Vc – 50 m/min and Fr- 0.03 mm/rev
For milling I use Vc – 30-50 m/min (for 4 mm dia mill) and Fz – 0.012 mm/tooth -Will it be the same for the Nitinol or I should change something?
Also, do you think that I should do a rough mill/turn and then finish? Or to do all as finish operation?
And final question – do you have a link for the turning and milling tools that you can recommend about? I read that good tools for Nitinol will be tools that suit for aluminum – what do you trhink??
Cheers!

Back