What's new
What's new

Slant bed V Gantry/vertical lathe

K Battenbough

Cast Iron
Hello All

Just a simple question realy, I found these pics on the web and it got me thinking as to why we dont see more lathes setup this way? and more in favour of the slant bed? Is it purley a space saving issue, the only other possible problem I could think of would be over hang and weight of the tool turret?
o15.jpg

o14.jpg

Regards
KB

It's not so different from a twin turret slant bed lathe.

In some sense, it's a "slant bed" with "slant = 90d" - and I think one reason you see slant != 90d is all about chip and coolant clearence. In the machine in your picture, everything falls more less onto the workpiece and/or onto the 2nd tool holder/cross slide. With some slant, it (at least hopefully) falls onto the slanted cover and falls into the chip conveyer.

Casting structure might be another - may be easier to make a stiff casting with slant != 90d.

Take away the bottom toolpost and you have an old Dean Smith and Grace Monarch cnc lathe.Great things mechanically but with a GE550 control,couldn`t be given away at the end up.

The DSG Monarchs had come and gone long before the late eighties.I`ve seen a lot of Emi-mecs but none with an overhead turret although they did have a part off slide above the spindle but so too did most single spindle autos.The BSA Bullards and the Herbert Batchmatics which were cnc had a vertical frame and an overhead turret but stopped production in the mid to late eighties.

Mori Seiki adopted a vertical design with the NT series, although design is closer to that of an HMC or traveling column VMC.

Attachments

• NT_merk1-1.jpg
    NT_merk1-1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 2,612
WoW! Looks a lot like a New Britton Tracer I used to have. It had a slant lower saddle with a massive tool holder that was pert of the tracer system. The template was held in front. A really stout machine that would make chips with almost any cnc. Hands off it would make multiple cuts until it contacted the template.The upper slide held the power tailstock and a powered parting tool. The thing even had constant surface speed via a Vari-drive and tons of old fashion electronics, made in 1961. Probably 20 X 60 or so. I used to make templates on a Haas VMC, That seemed a little strange, but we made a lot of chips with that machine. Oh well, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Back