What's new
What's new

Nitronic 60 machinability..

sagespecialized

Cast Iron
I have a part to quote that is made from Nitronic 60.

I have never machined this material before so I am asking of those that have, how well does it cut and are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

It will be a milled part about .500 thick x 3.0 x 4.0. 1/8 rads in two corners, profile the outside, drill and tap in the end. Pretty straight forward looking part, I just am unsure about the material.

Thanks,

If you have experience with 300 (304 or 316) series stainless you should do OK with this.
It will tear a bit more than 316...probably just a bit on your thread flanks from the tap.

It's like 316SS with an attitude...or Carpenter 20.

Sharp tooling, no dwells, don't pre-drill the stuff work hardens killing tools. Machine with low SFM and higher feedrates.

Stringy chips are like razors...you'll see the blood before you know your cut. Use Pliers to pull'em.

Tapping...threadmill if you can, if an option... or consider premium taps...sharp ones at that.

A large portion of my work used to be this stuff....not so bad. I'd much rather machine Nitronic 60 then 304SS.

I live literally a 1/2 mile from where Charlie Manson use to hang his hat...his house/ ranch is still standing.

My son and his friends now play in the caves he use to occupy while dodging the cops.

Thanks for the heads up on the Nitronic. I use to machine a lot of exotics for the fuel nozzle industry and I have done a lot of SS work as well. Sounds like you push it like Ti but tool it like 316L SS.

Thanks guys,

Back