What's new
What's new

nvx 5000 series mori seiki

deadmanx

Plastic
We currently have a makino, 2 dnm 500's, and a kitamura all with similar fanuc controls. We are going to look at a new mori and just wondering how is the control in terms.of ease of use and similarities to our current controls? Is mapps iv good? We probably wont use the conversational control much, but interested to hear thoughts on mapps iv.

We are also looking at a makino and another mycenter kitamura I believe.

We have the Mapps IV controller, and I find it very easy to use even compared to Haas. It's just Mori's interface on top of the clumsy Fanuc control. Easy to navigate screens and some cool work-offset setting gadgets.
Not a whole lot memory in the internal storage, but mori included the "user area storage". I've been able to load huge programs without a problem, I'll have to get back to you on the exact capacity.

Ours is just a Oi-MD FANUC, but with the NVX I'm sure it'll come with the FANUC 31i or whatever.

I doubt you'll be disappointed...

BTW Update Your Location in Settings for the Forum (read the Rules).

I have a Makino with a PRO3 control, as well as Mori Seiki with MAPPS III and IV.

I prefer MAPPS IV over the PRO3, but it might be a different story with a PRO5.
Either way, they are similar enough that if you are competent with one, it would be very easy to pick up the other.
Not enough difference to be a factor in the machine purchase IMO.

Are you looking at new?

Our operators will bounce between the Fanuc and Mori controls with no issue. We have older machine with Fanuc, 15M and 0M control.

Our oldest Mori mill is a MV653 and the newest is a NVX7000.

We are very happy with the Mori Products.

I just ran an NVX and I'm currently running an NHX. I don't use the conversational side, but for ease of daily use, you can't really beat the control. I'm not one of the FANUC haters, because I'm used to it, and can fumble-finger my way around it pretty well.... But the Mori blows it away for every day use. Everything is clearly labeled, no guessing what a soft key does. Inputting/changing programs is way simpler, having the extended work offsets (G54.1-G54.30 or some such big ass number) is nice, the full qwerty keyboard beats the hell out of FANUC, being able to plug in a USB stick is nice, it even shows you old/new values for offsets after you change them, so you can triple check you only put in .005 instead of .050. No complaints here.

Ya we are looking new. Possibly the nvx 5100 ii, or whatever we fahve nd best option for us amongst what I listed previously.

Does anyone know on the new machines, is it a fanuc control under mapps iv? I have heard mixed things on mitsubishi or fanuc on the mori's.

We basically just dont want to be fumbling through screens when guys are going machine to machine .. fanuc i control vs mapps iv ie. Touching tools off, offsetting tools, work coordinates etc

The 5100ii would have the CELOS control.

A lot of the newer machines are running Mitsubishi, but it differs among machines so you'd have to check with the dealer. Regardless, with MAPPS or CELOS on top, it doesn't really make a difference from the operator's standpoint.

Very easy to use... there won't be much fumbling going on.

The 5100ii would have the CELOS control.

A lot of the newer machines are running Mitsubishi, but it differs among machines so you'd have to check with the dealer. Regardless, with MAPPS or CELOS on top, it doesn't really make a difference from the operator's standpoint.

Very easy to use... there won't be much fumbling going on.

Ya I didnt think the celos came on that machine.. maybe that is an option? We have a quote for a nvx 5100 ii/ 40 , but we did hear there are different ones... mitsubishi/fanuc etc.. so behind the scenes it still resembles a standard fanuc control look wise?

There will be no fumbling. If you can run a Fanuc, you can definitely run a MAPPS. Make sure you get a tool setter and a probe, it makes life so simple. We've got BLUM laser tool setters and Renishaw probing on all our Moris, and holy crap is it a time saver.

Does anyone know if the duravertical is a mitsubishi control and what years they switched. We are possibly looking at a nvx along with a duravertical and did not know if they are mitsubishi behind mapps iv( I know they used to be fanuc prior)

Does anyone know if the duravertical is a mitsubishi control and what years they switched. We are possibly looking at a nvx along with a duravertical and did not know if they are mitsubishi behind mapps iv( I know they used to be fanuc prior)

They definitely made both, and for awhile (if not still) you simply had your choice when ordering. You wouldn't know the difference standing at the control anyhow, the front end is identical..

Eric: Have you seen a CELOS control yet? I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Played around with one in Davis back in 2013.

I haven't had enough hands-on time to really have much of an opinion, but I do like the improved ergonomics and visualization. Aside from the new screens, all the old MAPPS IV screens can be pulled up, so they certainly haven't taken away any functionality.

There will be no fumbling. If you can run a Fanuc, you can definitely run a MAPPS. Make sure you get a tool setter and a probe, it makes life so simple. We've got BLUM laser tool setters and Renishaw probing on all our Moris, and holy crap is it a time saver.

Agreed.

The machine I currently run in a Fanuc based mapps4, with both renishaw and blum for setting. Last shop I worked at had six NHX's with mitsu instead of fanuc. They both seem to work just the same. I recall the mitsu's macro setup to be a little different, but I hardly got to play with it.

I really, really dislike "normal" fanuc controls after using a mapps based controller. Workflow is just that much better. We transfer over programs from a PC with mastercam next to the machine, and I've yet to have any issue that wasnt solved by a quick reboot or two.

Do keep the manuals handy, and get the unlock codes for both parameters and the APC/ATC unit. Don't tell the machinists what they are, unless you REALLY trust them. There is an alarm code for ANY machine fault, and it's pretty well described in the manual. Service has always been great, but this may be area dependant. Last shop I was at was heavy production 24/7 most weeks. I really got to know the common faults!

I say go for it!

Ya we have opportunity to get the duravertical as the second machine (nvx 5100 ii) is basically a for sure. Its between duravertical and dnm 500 or a samsung, and for 20k more we can get the duravertical over those others.. l would have to adsume the duravertical is a better quality machine? We love our doosans but in this situation after seeing mapps iv control it seems like a better option over the others.

Back