UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    I actually agree with Littlerob1
    You make it sound like that's some kind of anomaly.

Don't get me wrong, personally I would always prefer a Y. But saying they're useless with just C is stupid. The biggest reason I prefer a Y is ease of Programming. Getting the output from a good CAM package can be tough. I use Mcam and getting the ControlDef, MachineDef and Post processor all doing what you want is more than a pain. It is all very different Maths. Polar interpolation in combination with Cartesian Arc interpolation in combination with Cylindrical interpolation is a lot. But it is there.

IMHO C alone is much much more rigid, and you can really move some Metal. When you add Y it's a little less, and if it's a compound X-Y then it's even less.

R

Also wanted to add Milling Rope Barrels and whatever other weird thread for OD's.

2. Likes iMillJoe liked this post
    Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would say you need a lot of milling on a part to make it worth it to move it from the lathe to a milling machine. If you have a hex and a few holes on the face of the part the lathe will finish before you have the part ready to go in the mill.
    Y axis is nice and I would get Y axis if I got a new live-tool lathe, but you can do a lot without it too, as specified above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@litlerob1 - it wasn't meant to be snarky - just I had taken one side of the question and you somewhat the other side....

My personal frustration is with things like off center line radial drilled and tapped holes.... Magic cam or interpolation won't fix that...

Also, various parties over the years have suggested "well, get a tool holder with adjustable Y offset" - I have yet find this mythical beast....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    @litlerob1 - it wasn't meant to be snarky - just I had taken one side of the question and you somewhat the other side....

My personal frustration is with things like off center line radial drilled and tapped holes.... Magic cam or interpolation won't fix that...

Also, various parties over the years have suggested "well, get a tool holder with adjustable Y offset" - I have yet find this mythical beast....
    Thanks, my self-esteem is much better now. You are absolutely correct, you can wish, wear a Golden Talisman around your neck and use chicken blood or whatever, the dang tool is not going to come off C/L without a Y axis, that's a guarantee.

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love live tooling, sure they are expensive but damn it makes things really nice. Wouldn't buy a machine without it. Also buy the top of the line machines, if you make money from it buy the best. Having the ability to do face and side milling in one operation and line up perfectly is great. Using it just for milling operation with jigs makes it easy, if you do alot of fixture work they are great just as a milling machine, get the live tailstock, they make life easy. Don't get the upgraded spindle power, the autoswitching makes life easy and cuts like a demon. I always think machinery space costs money so two of something takes up more space. A basic live tool machine with y axis, live tailstock isn't that expensive (to me) and they discount harder with the top of the line than with the bottom, talking like 20%. Don't like sub spindle unless you have the work for it, ie...not a job shop. Dual turrets makes things complicated and then you have to have someone specifically trained with it. Keep things simple. My 2 cents.

7. Likes Mstcnc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Thanks, my self-esteem is much better now. You are absolutely correct, you can wish, wear a Golden Talisman around your neck and use chicken blood or whatever, the dang tool is not going to come off C/L without a Y axis, that's a guarantee.

R

You haven't met Bob have you. Bob will find a way. Most likely by accident, and involving calling you're friendly service guy, but he will find a way to get that tool off center.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iMillJoe View Post
    You haven't met Bob have you. Bob will find a way. Most likely by accident, and involving calling you're friendly service guy, but he will find a way to get that tool off center.
    Oh I know him, he goes by many names and I'm pretty sure he gets facial un-recognition surgery. He is in all shops. He just isn't allowed to play with some toys. Funny thing I bet if he had a key, one day you would get to work, and he would be there.......????

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same guy that thought one of these was made out of paper ??????