What's new
What's new

Okuma IGF for lathe

Shai Ofir

Plastic
Is anyone familiar with Okuma IGF for lathe? How practical is it and how does it compare to other better known software like Mazatrol?

Mazatrol has more documentation and experienced users than IGF.

ANY person comfortable with Mazatrol can pick up IGF in about 20 minutes flat.

Mazatrol does NOT give you an edit-able G-code program, IGF does.

Same time to set up and program, nearly the same format and prompts.

Big difference, IGF is an option to the regular G-code interface on OSP control, Mazatrol is integral the control, and G-code (EIA) is the option. (with exceptions).

R

I haven't used IGF for a while, and have never used Mazatrol. As I recall, it's pretty good, but has at least one weakness. You have to have coordinates for intersections and tangent points in the order the feature is being machined (such as turning an OD). Not all, in fact, many drawings are not dimensioned the way one would need to provide that data completely. You'll find yourself using CAD at least a little bit to provide these numbers. So, in short, it's quick and fairly easy, but nowhere near as powerful as CAD/CAM.

I haven't used IGF for a while, and have never used Mazatrol. As I recall, it's pretty good, but has at least one weakness. You have to have coordinates for intersections and tangent points in the order the feature is being machined (such as turning an OD). Not all, in fact, many drawings are not dimensioned the way one would need to provide that data completely. You'll find yourself using CAD at least a little bit to provide these numbers. So, in short, it's quick and fairly easy, but nowhere near as powerful as CAD/CAM.

People have been making parts with paper and pencil, Abicus', even Graph paper for a REALLY long time. If you find that you need Cad, there are 2 things to consider; A. More shop experience or B. New Drafts person.

Part of teh appeal of Conversational interfaces is that for most stuff you do not need Cad/Cam (with exceptions).

R

People have been making parts with paper and pencil, Abicus', even Graph paper for a REALLY long time. If you find that you need Cad, there are 2 things to consider; A. More shop experience or B. New Drafts person.

Part of teh appeal of Conversational interfaces is that for most stuff you do not need Cad/Cam (with exceptions).

R

I've been in the machine shop biz for 39 years, so I don't lack experience. As far as "drafts person", as you call it, you can't just call a customer and tell them to dimension their drawing to suit you. I don't know if you're ignorant, or just trying to be insulting.

I've been in the machine shop biz for 39 years, so I don't lack experience. As far as "drafts person", as you call it, you can't just call a customer and tell them to dimension their drawing to suit you. I don't know if you're ignorant, or just trying to be insulting.

Neither, but I don't like assuming the dependence on Computer Aided Design. I have sent prints back to customers. IMHO, a part should be manufacturable without a Computer. Part of my "apprenticeship" was building parts without help from Software that worked out all the details for me. If you've been makering for 38 years, then you don't depend on it either, so don't defend the Jockeys.

Do my posts really seem like I'm trying to hurt people's feelings? That isn't the intent.

Neither, but I don't like assuming the dependence on Computer Aided Design. I have sent prints back to customers. IMHO, a part should be manufacturable without a Computer. Part of my "apprenticeship" was building parts without help from Software that worked out all the details for me. If you've been makering for 38 years, then you don't depend on it either, so don't defend the Jockeys.

Do my posts really seem like I'm trying to hurt people's feelings? That isn't the intent.

Sooo, the work you do is simple enough to not require CAM? I fingerCAM turning code, always have but there is a level of complexity where I can see turning CAM being required.

But milling is nigh on impossible to hand code effectively at least for the work I do and the equipment I have. Why have a badass mill that can eat millions of lines of code without a problem and not take advantage of the ability that gives you? I've got miles of respect for what you're saying but honestly 3d models and CAM are the way to do this stuff, at least on CNCs.

Am I misunderstanding your post? Are you referring to manual machining only? Cause if not, not using computers...to program the computer that runs the machine seems pointless.

Sooo, the work you do is simple enough to not require CAM? I fingerCAM turning code, always have but there is a level of complexity where I can see turning CAM being required.

But milling is nigh on impossible to hand code effectively at least for the work I do and the equipment I have. Why have a badass mill that can eat millions of lines of code without a problem and not take advantage of the ability that gives you? I've got miles of respect for what you're saying but honestly 3d models and CAM are the way to do this stuff, at least on CNCs.

Am I misunderstanding your post? Are you referring to manual machining only? Cause if not, not using computers...to program the computer that runs the machine seems pointless.

Pretty sure litlerob1 was referring to simple 2 axis lathe work, which rarely is complex enough to need CAM to crank out a program. The Geometry and Trigonometry one should have learned somewhere in middle school to high school is plenty to quickly solve most all 2 axis lathe toolpaths.

CAM is a wonderful tool and I am ever grateful that it exists. I would not go so far to agree that it is nigh on impossible to hand code some 3D mill programs though. In the early 80s CAM was usually not accessible to smaller job shops, yet 3D work was being done. Programming times were sometimes incredible though. One job I programmed took the better part of 3 months to calculate the points and write them to G code. Macros were much more widely used to generate toolpath points and motion than todays primary use in probing.

The industry has come a long way and mostly all for the better with CAD and CAM. That job that took me 3 months to program would be done in a day with pretty much any CAM software available today.

I think its' interesting and pathetic that people (online particularly) decide to try to stick it to other people, by minimizing the work they do, saying "the work you do is simple enough...."

I use Cad/Cam everyday, I use Mastersuk and Gibbs and Esprit. It is the way of the day and of the future!! MY POINT is more philosophical than practical, try to see that. We are losing the Trade.

There are millions of lines of discussion of this topic, read them.

As far as bringing Manuals into the conversation goes, don't cut at the root of the Tree you like. Your "3D models" were being made before you or I were born. Not as efficiently, not as quickly and not as pretty. But don't lose sight of the goal---make a good part.

If you need something to Meditate on, think about whether it is laziness or ignorance, that has you defending a Computers software instead of you skill as a Machinist.

It's 2018, listing "Computer skills" is not something you put on a Resume anymore, likened to "I can boil water too", Machinist is a Skill we are losing.

R

I think its' interesting and pathetic that people (online particularly) decide to try to stick it to other people, by minimizing the work they do, saying "the work you do is simple enough...."

I use Cad/Cam everyday, I use Mastersuk and Gibbs and Esprit. It is the way of the day and of the future!! MY POINT is more philosophical than practical, try to see that. We are losing the Trade.

There are millions of lines of discussion of this topic, read them.

As far as bringing Manuals into the conversation goes, don't cut at the root of the Tree you like. Your "3D models" were being made before you or I were born. Not as efficiently, not as quickly and not as pretty. But don't lose sight of the goal---make a good part.

If you need something to Meditate on, think about whether it is laziness or ignorance, that has you defending a Computers software instead of you skill as a Machinist.

It's 2018, listing "Computer skills" is not something you put on a Resume anymore, likened to "I can boil water too", Machinist is a Skill we are losing.

R

Dude, calm the fuck down. Nobody is trying to minimize your work. It was a question. Followed up by stating that I have miles of respect for what you're saying, I went out of my way to try to avoid stepping on your ever so fucking sensitive toes. But you didn't bother quoting those parts of my reply huh? IF as someone suggested, you are talking 2D lathe work, you will notice, that I also hand write code for those jobs. So I have to have the same skills that you think are dying.

I don't see using computers as "losing the trade" I see it as keeping up with the trade. Engineers can sit and do differential equations to solve some particular problem with a pad and pencil. Should they? When a better tool than pencil and paper exists to do the same job only better faster and more accurately?

What is wrong in your world that you are so sensitive? I'm trying to stick it to you? Brother, I'm one of the nicest people in this particular hovel of grumpy old fucks. Thanks for calling me pathetic and lazy and/or ignornat by the way...you're a class act. I'm a working SOB that worries about paying bills and making payroll, and if I can get more done with a computer, the fact that I don't NEED a computer isn't a good enough reason to get less done.

Sure the point is to make a good part, but that is just one factor in business. I need to make good parts fast enough to matter to the realities of staying in business. If all that mattered was good parts we'd still have 40 guys cranking handles and doing trig.

I think you picture me pulling my hair, freaking our about what people post. I'm not, I just think it's interesting how people respond.

And as I stated it's less practical and more philosophical. Sometimes I do wish we were 40 guys standing around cranking handles. I use the software, but I'm not ever going to defend it.

I do have opinions, I am sorry that I have them, most of the time. :(

R

IGF has the option to import DXF now as well and program via DXF.
it is pretty simple to do if your customers give you .DXF you can easily cut out some of your liability with "i programmed from YOUR .DXF..."
I don't like mazatrol, or conversational at all really, but in the right role i could tolerate IGF daily. Mazatrol, i could not.
Now there are undeniably thousands of devout mazatrol users out there. And devout IGF users.
I think the added OSP functions far outweigh the benefits of Mazatrol, but I can see and understand the argument. I just prefer the OSP layout.
There are those who couldn't make a part without IGF. Down south, texas, So. Cal, chicagoland, zoo york, large immigrant populations who need training. Easier to train point to pictures and numbers than explain G code.

I think if you truly need something like IGF, you will like it. So long as you commit to it.

I have yet to figure out how to do this on our P200 and P300 controls. Is it an option?

What you need to do is put a clean DXF file onto a flash drive. Plug the flash drive into the machine. Then when you go to the new program screen for creating a IGF. hit DIR DISPLAY and look for where it says ANOTHER DISPLAY here you will choose to have the ADO drive on the left side and the USB (FLASH DRIVE) on the right side. Then you need to copy your DXF from the flash drive LEFT to the ADO drive. After that is done you need to start a new IGF program make your stock and then get to the process sheet page. Once you are here right next to the PROCESS EDIT button there should be one that says (MAT.SECT. SHEET). Select this then select NEW/EDIT then select DXF file and follow the steps. Once it asks you to confirm the shape it will bring you back to the (MAT.SECT. SHEET) screen. On this screen there will be a button called PROCESS DECIDE. once you hit that it should decide what tools and toolpaths to use. ALWAYS PROCESS TEST THIS!! I have noticed it does operations in different orders then i like and sometimes adds an extra process that isnt necessary. Hope this will help.

What you need to do is put a clean DXF file onto a flash drive. Plug the flash drive into the machine. Then when you go to the new program screen for creating a IGF. hit DIR DISPLAY and look for where it says ANOTHER DISPLAY here you will choose to have the ADO drive on the left side and the USB (FLASH DRIVE) on the right side. Then you need to copy your DXF from the flash drive LEFT to the ADO drive. After that is done you need to start a new IGF program make your stock and then get to the process sheet page. Once you are here right next to the PROCESS EDIT button there should be one that says (MAT.SECT. SHEET). Select this then select NEW/EDIT then select DXF file and follow the steps. Once it asks you to confirm the shape it will bring you back to the (MAT.SECT. SHEET) screen. On this screen there will be a button called PROCESS DECIDE. once you hit that it should decide what tools and toolpaths to use. ALWAYS PROCESS TEST THIS!! I have noticed it does operations in different orders then i like and sometimes adds an extra process that isnt necessary. Hope this will help.

Thank you!!! I will give this a try!

Is anyone familiar with Okuma IGF for lathe? How practical is it and how does it compare to other better known software like Mazatrol?

1) okuma's igf is a pretty good entry-level software

1.1) a common practice is to bring-to-front the igf window during machining, so to make a few adjustments; in such a case is not possible to start a program by pushing the cycle-start button ( even if the auto-mode button is pressed ), because the auto-mode window is in background state

as default, cycle-start requires auto-mode window to be in-front of the other osp windows; you may alter this behaviour by setting bit#6.0 = 1

1.2) When machining a part for the first time or machining parts in a small lot, it may be necessary to stop the machine and check part dimensions after each process. In such a case, select “OUTPUT” for integer parameter No. 85 “M01 OUTPUT OR NOT (EACH PROCESS)”. M01 is automatically output at the end of each process. M01 is output immediately when the turret has retracted to the tool change position after completing each machining.

1.3) also you should consider igf-offline versions

2) truth is that ADVANCED ONE-TOUCH IGF-L is not that advanced; it does not make you aware of the particularities of an Okuma control

igf is a two-edged sword : it will help you as a novice, but after a while it will limit you

if you are looking for top-tier skills, speack with your local okuma rep about organized events & organized visits

there are real obstacles in making Okuma clients aware of these tools

Best reagrds :)

Last edited:

Back