What's new
What's new

Okuma lb osp 3000 move turret in program mode

plutoniumsalmon

Hot Rolled
Howdy.
Can anyone please tell me if I can move the turret on an okuma lb lathe with an osp 3000 when it's in program mode. At the moment I finish a part and have the turret go to z zero so that I can put a new part in and use a tool as a stop for the origin. The problem is that I have to switch to manual mode to move it down to where the x would interest with the new part and then switch back to program to run the machine. I feel this two button presses too many.

Thank you

When youre in "Auto" there is not a way to manual move the tool that Im aware of, and not aware of an option that was available back then that would make it possible. Not saying it didnt exist, but Ive never seen mention of it on any build sheets etc...

I do something similar on a LC10 with OSP3000, but what I do is use a couple M0 along with the Chuck Clamp/UnClamp (M83/M84)
Rapid to Z location, X is greater than the material dia.
Open Chuck M84
M0
make sure material is not in the path of the tool when it moves in X - or move it out of the way (into the chuck a bit)
Press Cycle Start
G0 X in to where it will be where you want it to stop material
M0
Slide the material to the tool/stop
Step on the foot pedal to close the chuck
Press Cycle Start and away she goes with the rest of the program.

Its still two additional button pushes, but at least you dont have to look at the key pad to hit the manual and move the axis, and look at the pad again to hit Auto... You just have to press Cycle Start three times.

I use it with a bar puller, and only have to go through this once per rod of material, as I have it doing that to face the end of the new rod prior to running the first part since each subsequent part is "faced" at part off.

Wade

You can program a Tool change and move it to position before program end . If you need a m0 to remove first, then it’s closed door and 1 cycle start for it to be where you desire.

Hello.
Thank you. The problem is that the parts is long and is flipped so I can't have it sitting on the x intersect. Though I have an interesting idea. Program the turret to go to x intersect but higher up in the z. Unclamp the spindle and flip the part then have the tool move to z zero engage spindle clamp and move on with the program. Ie push it in with the program.

Final move in the first op program should be to move the tool to a position which would allow you to remove and re-position the part (be sure to set the part further into the chuck than it needs to be). Than close the chuck and cycle start to move a stop into position (being sure part is not set out far enough for the stop to hit it) followed by an M0. You can even add in an M17 to open the chuck. Open the chuck, slide part up to the stop, then close chuck. Cycle start, and away you go!

Bendix had a bar-puller cycle for just this purpose. Did you look through the manual to see if the Okuma has anything similar ?

An extra door opening would depend on if the safety interlock on your door can be over-ridden. If that can't be done and you want to avoid having to open that door an extra time, then you may want to consider setting up a spindle stop or find some other locating feature on the part to reference from the chuck face.

An extra door opening would depend on if the safety interlock on your door can be over-ridden. If that can't be done and you want to avoid having to open that door an extra time, then you may want to consider setting up a spindle stop or find some other locating feature on the part to reference from the chuck face.

Thank you.

Back