What's new
What's new

Okuma M560 tool in backwards

XD341

Hot Rolled
So I've run he snot out of this 560 for a couple years now and it's been extremely reliable and trouble free. I really love this mill. This week an operator did something I didn't think was possible on this machine. It's a Cat 40 dual contact spindle, with a random access magazine that is accessible via a door while the machine is cutting. We have a production job that requires frequent insert changes, so about once an hour we change inserts and put the tool back in the magazine via this door.

The magazine pots normally only allow you to seat the tool in one orientation, well somehow it got in backwards and locked up the tool changer during the cycle. A cat 40 holder won't seat on the drive keys 180 degrees out of orientation. It wasn't making a limit switch to show the tool seated in the spindle, and we had cycled power in early attempts to get things going (don't do this) so it lost spindle orientation...can't seat the tool all the way because it's backwards, can't orient the spindle because the swing arm and tool were 90% of the way seated...so yeah.the normal recovery process won't work....you're screwed.

Long story short, I had to dig into the parameters to manually reverse the sequences up until things could be corrected. We lost some time figuring that all out, but I took notes when I was done.

It's been the bermuda triangle of weird shit around here this month:willy_nilly: Hopefully it's all out of the system now and we can make chips.

Okumas all come that way, but you can change it. If you don't use the tool orientation for boring bars or whatever, just take the drive keys out and grind them so the tool can go in either way. Most other MTBs are built that way.

Yeah some MTBs make them stepped so you can flip them over...done that before. The real mystery was how the magazine accepted the backwards tool?...it must not happen very often because I have pretty decent Google foo...and I couldn't find Jack or shit about recovery on a 560 beyond the machine operation page. I had to piece together procedures from other Okuma models. Thankfully Okuma is reasonably consistent with OSP between models. I found lots of info in the manuals but not the steps that ultimately solved the problem.

So I've run he snot out of this 560 for a couple years now and it's been extremely reliable and trouble free. I really love this mill. This week an operator did something I didn't think was possible on this machine. It's a Cat 40 dual contact spindle, with a random access magazine that is accessible via a door while the machine is cutting. We have a production job that requires frequent insert changes, so about once an hour we change inserts and put the tool back in the magazine via this door.

The magazine pots normally only allow you to seat the tool in one orientation, well somehow it got in backwards and locked up the tool changer during the cycle. A cat 40 holder won't seat on the drive keys 180 degrees out of orientation. It wasn't making a limit switch to show the tool seated in the spindle, and we had cycled power in early attempts to get things going (don't do this) so it lost spindle orientation...can't seat the tool all the way because it's backwards, can't orient the spindle because the swing arm and tool were 90% of the way seated...so yeah.the normal recovery process won't work....you're screwed.

Long story short, I had to dig into the parameters to manually reverse the sequences up until things could be corrected. We lost some time figuring that all out, but I took notes when I was done.

It's been the bermuda triangle of weird shit around here this month:willy_nilly: Hopefully it's all out of the system now and we can make chips.

The only way that can happen on my 2008 Okuma is if you change a tool by hand, and don't pay attention. It is not possible for a tool from the change to end up backwards. The keys in the holders wont allow a tool to go into the magazine backwards. I think you have an operator that is not owning up to a mistake.

We have had this happen on two occasions in the last month. Always from puting tools in through the tool changer

Back