What's new
What's new

Milltronics Centurian 7 control worth anything as seperate unit ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Was thinking of upgrading to the "8" when it becomes available and wondering what the "7" might be worth as a seperate unit ? Would take videos of the 7 before disconnect to prove all works of course.

This is on a flatbed lathe, and I wonder if a few parameter changes would allow it's use on a mill or VMC also ?

I wonder what the difference will be from 7 to 8. I "think" all you'll get for the upgrade is a daughter board with the software chips.
I also think your correct, parameter change from lathe to mill as the software doesn't care what it's running
Dave

Ok, one thing I see for certain is the solid verify in the graphics screen, IIRC, that didn't exist in a Cent 7
I know from 5 to 6 there was some better control of the axis's, it had the ability to look ahead in the program plus it allowed a setting for corner deviation and a couple other nicety's.
Ver 7 had way better motor control and probably more support for pentium processors. Just guessing here mind you, never saw that much difference in the interface from 6-7 much less from 5-7, it all looked the same to me and I've run them all.
Maybe in 8 they have the ability to edit large programs, above the 640k dos limit???? Maybe they could in 7 already?
BTW, my Cent 5 is running a DX 386 yet :(
I can upgrade to the latest software and computer for $1600.00 or so I'm told

Dave

Yeah, just waiting for it to die :toetap:
It also takes those 16 pin sim memory chips,,,, yippieee
All the cards are ISA buss, thought about swapping out the computer with a new one with the interchangeable back plane but if I wait a while that feeling goes away :o

Dave

From what I read the "8" control is supposed to be the cat's pajamas. It is Linux based instead of DOS, so it should be easier to network and have more memory. It looks like it also has solid graphics like the Siemens. It should be pretty sweet.

However, I don't see why you would bother to put one on an old flat-bed toolroom lathe. That lathe won't really benefit from any of the new fancy features. The older DOS control should do all you need and more on that caliber of machine. But that's just my opinion.

-Wes

Ok, so now I have a question regarding the upgrade.
I was quoted about $2600 for sending my control back and get it upgraded to the absolute latest and greatest hardware/software .......
Does that mean that my Cent6 control COULD! become that one which is in that video?

I mean my control is quite capable for what it is and once you get around the incredibly user-hostile interface, it is actually not a bad tool to get your stuff done. Being a toolroom type machine, I wish it had more of a "toolroom" type interface and programmability. ( such would be a work coord-independent DRO, true 2 axis manual mode and maybe a "do-event" mode )
That control in the vid. actually looks quite nice. Wonder if that still has the SLS version and if it is available/purchaseable as an upgrade.....

Don

Is that flatbed a toolroom type machine or a true CNC?

I could be wrong in my pricing, it's been a while since I asked and prices may have skyrocketed by now. Lord knows I've been wrong before.
Dave

p.s. whats wrong with the user interface??????? I find it better than Fanuc's interface, I actually like it but I've been using Centurion controls for over 13 years on a daily basis so I may be biased in my opinion,,,,,yes?

I mean my control is quite capable for what it is and once you get around the incredibly user-hostile interface, it is actually not a bad tool to get your stuff done. Being a toolroom type machine, I wish it had more of a "toolroom" type interface and programmability. ( such would be a work coord-independent DRO, true 2 axis manual mode and maybe a "do-event" mode )

What is so user-hostile? It seems about as well laid out as any control. Every one I have seen has Absolute, Relative, and Distance to Go coordinates on the main screen. You can also watch the graphics while the machine is running, to see where the tool is headed.

They all have a hand wheel and continuous jogging. How much more manual can it get? The conversational is OK, better than a Fanuc.

Tool length offsets are the only quirk I remember. The tool offsets were set relative to the active work offset. The work around was to set up a work offset the was only used to set tools.

It's been a while, but I remember Milltronics controls being pretty nice.

-Wes

What is so user-hostile? It seems about as well laid out as any control. Every one I have seen has Absolute, Relative, and Distance to Go coordinates on the main screen. You can also watch the graphics while the machine is running, to see where the tool is headed.

They all have a hand wheel and continuous jogging. How much more manual can it get? The conversational is OK, better than a Fanuc.

Tool length offsets are the only quirk I remember. The tool offsets were set relative to the active work offset. The work around was to set up a work offset the was only used to set tools.

It's been a while, but I remember Milltronics controls being pretty nice.

-Wes

Ok, I'll take that challenge.

First of all, every machine I have ever seen does have a DRO that is independent of any workoffset. That is, you set your X and Y and Z coordinate to whatever you want and it does not in any way shape or form:
a: change your tool length offset or workoffset
b: depends on the current work/toolength offset.

On a Centurion, there is no such DRO function! Regardless of what mode you're in, whatever you do will affect either the toollength offset, modifies the active workoffset OR it will use the active workoffset to change the display

Handwheel jogging on the Centurion is quite nice as you can use the feedrate-override to change the actual step amount for each "tick", but you will wear out the feedrate dial when you're switching back and forth from fast to slow motion.

There is no continuous jogging. There is a "step-amount", which is incredibly dangerous because it is:
a: Sticky, meaning active until disabled. Just hit the wrong direction once and you'll know why.
b: The step amount is invisible once it is set. I.E: You don't know how much you're stepping.

The tool length and workoffsets are wicked retarded. I know, in current models it is fixed, but on mine ( early 2000 ) it is always dependent on either the active workoffset or the active toollength. IOW if you set the toollength, it will depend on the current workoffset. Consequently, if you set the workoffset it will depend on the current tool in the spindle.
If you happened to set the tool to a different workoffset than the one you're in, you can and will fuck up both!

The only way to set a spindle speed ( the quickest that I know of anyway) is:
1: MDI
2: MISC
3: Type: Snnnn
4: ENTER
5: STORE
6: CYCLE-START
7: Read modal display
Mind you, this is a Toolroom type machine! If you ever need to change the spindle speed ( for whatever it is ), you need to go through this hooplah again. ( yes, there is a spindle-override button but....)

If you're in unlocked X/Y mode, you cannot set work coordinates. You have to re-enable X and Y servos to do so. Then go back through the steps of unlocking the servos again to do some manual work. Once again, this is a manual machine without a DRO.

Conversational.........
Well, since as mentioned all of the coordinate settings depend on one another, shouldn't the STARTUP of the conversational ask you what coordinate system you want to use? Well it does not, and ask me how I know this is a really bad idea!

This is a toolroom machine, therefore it is an SLS control. in SLS mode ( by default) there is NO DISTANCE TO GO or NEXT MOVE display! You have to go into Parameters and type in the secret code to be able to switch between Graphics and Coordinate display modes. In either case, you cannot have both at the same time!

Once again, this is a toolroom machine! If you're at the edge of your part with an edgefinder, you cannot tell the control you're .100 away from the part. Not having a DRO, you cannot temporarily set a coordinate display and then jog .100 and set your workoffset. No! You have to 0 your workoffset when the edgefinder tells you to, then go the 3X ESC route, then another 4 button clicks to the Work Coord screen, then cursor down 3 or more times to the workoffset, then edit, down once or twice then type in .+.100 or .-.100 to add or subtract from the work coord.
If you fuck up and forget the . at the beginnig, you're welcome to start the whole kit and kaboodle all over again.

There is no Do-Event, nor is there a Teach mode per se. IOW if you pick up a point and then want to mill or rapid to another point, you either have to set work coordinates and type a conversational program OR you set work coordinates and type a G-code program. Take your pick.

There is no easy way to rapid to a point and wait until you hit START to move to another point. In many manual operations, all you want to do is drill a bunch of holes of various sizes. One would think that ( since there IS a 2 axis mode in the control ) you could just type in succesive X/Y coordinates into a list and then drill away with the quill at each stop. Well no! You have to type in a G-code program and separate each and every single coordinate with and M01 or M00 to tell it not to just rapid over to the next goddamm point!

Along the lines of the previous point, you cannot change tools without actually CHANGING TOOLS!!!
What that means is you cannot just simply change the tool with the quill retracted and tell the control that you've just switched from Tool1 ( center drill) to Tool2 ( drill), you actually have to switch the miserable thing through MDI, which involves a bunch of ESC-s to get to MDI, type in a toolchange, move to the toolchange, change the tool, switch to HDW or JOG, move back to the coordinate you were in a second ( actually a minute by now ) ago and drill away.
Do this on a plate with 50+ holes of various depths and sizes and you will learn religion!

As I've said before. I believe the Centurion control has the underlying ability to eat Prototrack for breakfast, let alone for lunch!
It however looses all advantage when it comes to the User Interface, which is what the lonely one-off machinist is faced with each and every day.
For the record, I program, setup and run Haas, Fanuc and Brother machines each and every day. Lathe, mill, and Wire EDM. Believe me, I do read and write G-code for these machines just as it was plain English. To me writing a quick hand-written G-code fro 1,2 or 50 holes is faster and easier than any conversational system available out there.
Having to try to figure out the quirks in a CNC control and then trying to explain it to a user ( smart or not so smart ) is wicked time consuming and inefficient.

Rant out.

First of all, every machine...........Rant out.

CRAP..... Maybe you need a damn manual machine.

Actually, I have used only one milltronics, and has centurion 5. I'd guess what you have is older because most of your complaints do not exist on mine.

First of all, every machine I have ever seen does have a DRO that is independent of any workoffset. That is, you set your X and Y and Z coordinate to whatever you want and it does not in any way shape or form:

Can you not use G92? but don't forget to cancel, G12 on the centurion 5. I have used that several times with parts on fixtures with several locations. On the 5, it does not affect the work coordinate settings. But do not forget to cancel.

Handwheel jogging on the Centurion is quite nice as you can use the feedrate-override to change the actual step amount for each "tick", but you will wear out the feedrate dial when you're switching back and forth from fast to slow motion.

That is why you use that thing atop your shoulders. You can reduce the # of times you turn feed override up and down. I'd guess that one is likely to use it more when running a program. Just my thought

There is no continuous jogging. There is a "step-amount", which is incredibly dangerous because it is:
a: Sticky, meaning active until disabled. Just hit the wrong direction once and you'll know why.
b: The step amount is invisible once it is set. I.E: You don't know how much you're stepping.

On the 5, I think there is .0001, .001, .01, .1, and 1". The indication of which setting doesn't "stand out", but can be obvious with eyes. There is yet another selection with a double arrow, this is the one which allows jog only while direction is pressed. Again, that is on the 5

The tool length and workoffsets are wicked retarded. I know, in current models it is fixed, but on mine ( early 2000 ) it is always dependent on either the active workoffset or the active toollength. IOW if you set the toollength, it will depend on the current workoffset. Consequently, if you set the workoffset it will depend on the current tool in the spindle.
If you happened to set the tool to a different workoffset than the one you're in, you can and will fuck up both!

On mine (1995) with centurion 5, the tool length offset is INDependent of the work coordinate offset. My okuma is dependent on work offset, but that does not bother me.

2: MISC...................

Well, I give up on the rest. hard to think it would be that much backwards from my old mill.

To set spindle does require: MDI, enter Sxxxx, enter, cycle start, but that doesn't bother me. Aren't most machines with spindle control that way?

Conversational on mine does allow selection of work coordinate. My only thing on that is once you've selected one in MDI, it always switches back to G54 when changing modes.

When drilling in 2 axis, can't you program using a drill cycle? I wouldn't know on that... just a thought.

------------------

All in all, I like the centurion 5 pretty well. I don't use the conversational, but what bit I did look at it, I believe the prototraks are hard to beat for quick ease of use.

I used all the scaling, rotation, program calls and all, and everything works well as expected. Not a bad machine in my opinion. I'd hope to think that newer machines are improved

To set spindle does require: MDI, enter Sxxxx, enter, cycle start, but that doesn't bother me. Aren't most machines with spindle control that way?
Most production CNC machines are that way but I suspect he's saying that on a toolroom combination manual / CNC lathe it shouldn't be that way. There should be a simple "spindle on" button with a pot to control the speed.. I had a Harrison CNC combination lathe like that, worked fine.....or an up/down pushbutton with seperate RPM display like on Mazaks. The Harrison even had a little handle that sort of mimicked the carriage feed handle of a manual lathe for the feed...silly in a way, but did have a nice intuitive "feel" to it that is not to be discounted on a machine of that nature.

On a Centurion, there is no such DRO function! Regardless of what mode you're in, whatever you do will affect either the toollength offset, modifies the active workoffset OR it will use the active workoffset to change the display

2: MISC
3: Type: Snnnn
4: ENTER
5: STORE
6: CYCLE-START
7: Read modal display
Mind you, this is a Toolroom type machine! If you ever need to change the spindle speed ( for whatever it is ), you need to go through this hooplah again. ( yes, there is a spindle-override button but....)

If you're in unlocked X/Y mode, you cannot set work coordinates. You have to re-enable X and Y servos to do so. Then go back through the steps of unlocking the servos again to do some manual work. Once again, this is a manual machine without a DRO.

Conversational.........
Well, since as mentioned all of the coordinate settings depend on one another, shouldn't the STARTUP of the conversational ask you what coordinate system you want to use? Well it does not, and ask me how I know this is a really bad idea!

This is a toolroom machine, therefore it is an SLS control. in SLS mode ( by default) there is NO DISTANCE TO GO or NEXT MOVE display! You have to go into Parameters and type in the secret code to be able to switch between Graphics and Coordinate display modes. In either case, you cannot have both at the same time!

Once again, this is a toolroom machine! If you're at the edge of your part with an edgefinder, you cannot tell the control you're .100 away from the part. Not having a DRO, you cannot temporarily set a coordinate display and then jog .100 and set your workoffset. No! You have to 0 your workoffset when the edgefinder tells you to, then go the 3X ESC route, then another 4 button clicks to the Work Coord screen, then cursor down 3 or more times to the workoffset, then edit, down once or twice then type in .+.100 or .-.100 to add or subtract from the work coord.
If you fuck up and forget the . at the beginnig, you're welcome to start the whole kit and kaboodle all over again.

There is no Do-Event, nor is there a Teach mode per se. IOW if you pick up a point and then want to mill or rapid to another point, you either have to set work coordinates and type a conversational program OR you set work coordinates and type a G-code program. Take your pick.

There is no easy way to rapid to a point and wait until you hit START to move to another point. In many manual operations, all you want to do is drill a bunch of holes of various sizes. One would think that ( since there IS a 2 axis mode in the control ) you could just type in succesive X/Y coordinates into a list and then drill away with the quill at each stop. Well no! You have to type in a G-code program and separate each and every single coordinate with and M01 or M00 to tell it not to just rapid over to the next goddamm point!

Along the lines of the previous point, you cannot change tools without actually CHANGING TOOLS!!!
What that means is you cannot just simply change the tool with the quill retracted and tell the control that you've just switched from Tool1 ( center drill) to Tool2 ( drill), you actually have to switch the miserable thing through MDI, which involves a bunch of ESC-s to get to MDI, type in a toolchange, move to the toolchange, change the tool, switch to HDW or JOG, move back to the coordinate you were in a second ( actually a minute by now ) ago and drill away.
Do this on a plate with 50+ holes of various depths and sizes and you will learn religion!

As I've said before. I believe the Centurion control has the underlying ability to eat Prototrack for breakfast, let alone for lunch!
It however looses all advantage when it comes to the User Interface, which is what the lonely one-off machinist is faced with each and every day.
For the record, I program, setup and run Haas, Fanuc and Brother machines each and every day. Lathe, mill, and Wire EDM. Believe me, I do read and write G-code for these machines just as it was plain English. To me writing a quick hand-written G-code fro 1,2 or 50 holes is faster and easier than any conversational system available out there.
Having to try to figure out the quirks in a CNC control and then trying to explain it to a user ( smart or not so smart ) is wicked time consuming and inefficient.

Rant out.

Hmmm, interesting. I think it's because it's a SLS control as all of what your saying really doesn't apply to mine. Both my machines are 92/93 vintage. Oh, BTW, by default when I start my machines for the first time they are in G540 as I have something like 96 possible offsets. Whew! Sorry for your pain as it can be bothersome when explaining it to someone else. But as far as a Prototrak or EZ trac goes I'd take a Milltronics any day. Never saw the need for any 2 axis NC/CNC. I always figured if your going to program it why not add the few extra lines for the Z axis and be done with it, ya know?
Dave

Don, that's just it.
Milltronics has already gone to the extent as to have two separate versions of their control software, the CNC and the SLS. How they differ exactly I don't know for sure, but the toolroom machines do come with the SLS software, which allows manual handwheeling ( that is using the crank handles to directly move the axis ).
In that context, one would think a dedicated button push would be able to bypass all the garbage and let you type in an rpm value, regardless of what manual mode you're in.

Annoying.

The exclusive and sole purpose of this machine IS! a full 3 axis CNC/manual toolroom machine with a quill. The pickin's are pretty slim in that field with Prototrak, Milltronics and I think Acer the only garden variety players that I know of. I have full blown CNC machining centers, but that is not what I needed with the Milltronics. Oddly enough, it is quite useable and programmable in that mode once you get around the idiocy of the offsets and the manual toolchanges ( yuck)
I don't know about your Cent5 control, but this is actually newer than yours ( Centurion6 ) and it sure as shiit does use the active workoffset or tooloffset to set the coordinates.
About that G92 .... Well, you can't set that! Not from the HDW or JOG mode anyway! The only way to change it is you have to go into Parameters -> Utils -> Setup -> Coord -> Edit, and then type in what you want.... But then you're in the same place as all the other workoffsets, so might as well set them instead. Of course, you can do it through MDI, but that isn't any quicker either, specially when you hafta undo it right after.

You also misunderstood the "step" feature. That is under the "JOG" mode. You type in a distance ( say 5. ), hit enter and after that each direction key you press, that axis will move by 5" in that direction.
Using a 4x4 matrix numerical keypad for direction control, you're always only .5" away from lightly touching the wrong direction button which quite possibly will send your tool into oblivion.
ON that note, don't you think a "Move-to" button on the HDW and JOG screens would be a minimalist necessity?

Mind you once again, mine is a toolroom machine and I believe so is the one Milacron has asked about in the OP.
For full CNC mode, they are OK. Not great but OK.
In manual apps tough, there is a whole lot left to be desired and I'm just curious if the Centurion-8 is any different in that regard.

Hmmm, interesting. I think it's because it's a SLS control as all of what your saying really doesn't apply to mine. Both my machines are 92/93 vintage. Oh, BTW, by default when I start my machines for the first time they are in G540 as I have something like 96 possible offsets. Whew! Sorry for your pain as it can be bothersome when explaining it to someone else. But as far as a Prototrak or EZ trac goes I'd take a Milltronics any day. Never saw the need for any 2 axis NC/CNC. I always figured if your going to program it why not add the few extra lines for the Z axis and be done with it, ya know?
Dave

Dave, that's the point!
The milltronics in my opinion is a far superior machine to a Prototrack in hardware ( base, table, screws, motors, electricals and all ).
The control also has things the Trak just plain dumb doesn't do nor will it ever do.
Unfortunately they seemed to have stopped 25 steps too-short of making it toolroom friendly, and in my opinion that is exactly why Southwestern Industries is eating Milltronics's lunch.

Unfortunately they seemed to have stopped 25 steps too-short of making it toolroom friendly, and in my opinion that is exactly why Southwestern Industries is eating Milltronics's lunch.

I agree. I had a 2001 Milltronics ML20 lathe with a Centurian 6. It seemed brain damaged to use as it was intended, or to program conversationally. We wound up programming it with CAM and using it like a turning center and then sold it and bought a real turning center, and used manual machines for the work we thought we'd do on the ML20.

Seymour and Mud,
I concur, I don't know what the thinking behind that control was but, as an aside, I've never had to use a SLS equipped machine (Service Level Select) is that what it's suppose to stand for?
Actually, I can see the reasoning by limiting certain areas until the programmer/operator gets used to it then being able to add more functionality to it but then again, why? Maybe a money thing or cost savings for the shop that don't want or need all the functionality?

Dave

I'd have to agree with the necessity of a "move to" button, I'd pay $1000 to upgrade to a version that had nothing better than a "move to" button and simple way of programming a set of coordinates in XY and having the machine pause at each.

Milltronics C7 to C8

Milicron, The C7 control does indeed have value. However it is going to be essentually always be a lathe control. The lathes and mills have different front panel switches (see C7 versions below) and the interface panel has different connections then the mills have.
The C7 came in 3 versions. The 7000 series (2 versions) and the 7200 series
The 7000 came with either a 10' LCD with a tactile (bubble button) front panel or a 12" lcd with a discrete key (black alpha / numeric keypads. The 7000 series will need a complete new front panel. The 7200 series has a dark gray full "alpha" keyboard front panel. The 7200 has the same front panel that will be used on the C8. I believe the 7200 front panel is the same for mills and lathes. See this link for a pic of the 7200 front panel CNC Control
The older 7200 front panels along with the control will most likely will need to be sent in to Milltronics for the update, also the front panel enclosure will need to be modified for USB ports on all but the newest, maybe the last year 7200 series machines.
The C8 will have a unix/linux operating system and will have all sorts of new display functions and operation features. Stll the same easy programming and machine operations as Milltronics previous controls.
I know the "C8 " "8200 CNC?" has been out in beta testing for a while now. I am not sure when it will be released. When it is released I belive that it will be an option added to the base 7200 control.
IMO, The release of the new control does not undermine the older C5, C6 and C7 controls in the least. All of you who have run the Milltronics control know how easy to use and how powerful those controls are. I am sure Milltronics will continue to support the C1,C5,C6 controls as they have in the past.
each control has updates available, even to a C7 control.
Older C3 and C4 controls are only supported by updating to a C7 control.
If you have good "iron" It may be worth while to update your machine.

I have lots of old and new info for all Milltronics machines. Have tools will travel.
Regards
bob

Back