What's new
What's new

Old Brother Day!!!

Bigtoy302

Cast Iron
Finally decided it was time to get something a little newer and a lot faster than my Mori Seiki Mv35/40. Found a decent deal on a used 99 Brother Tc-22a. It also came with about 35 tool holders. I had to drive 4200 miles round trip to go get it. I could not find a decent deal on shipping it. I am hoping to have the power hooked up tomorrow and start playing with it. I also need to order a few Orange vises for it.

I had to use my rock crawler to winch the machine to the back of the trailer so I could pick it with my forklift.
20150219_113220_zpsad8f79c0.jpg

20150219_123924_zps845df07a.jpg

My SO giving it a good wash.
20150219_130145_zps7de4ce92.jpg

I get it, brag about your new machine, rock crawler, swmbo and the fact swmbo will wash your machine.

You got it all. Lol.

Seriously, congrats.

I get it, brag about your new machine, rock crawler, swmbo and the fact swmbo will wash your machine.

You got it all. Lol.

Seriously, congrats.

She even runs the lathe too! I wish I could be bragging about Brand spankin new stuff but that's a ways off yet. Probably a Doosan Lynx 220 next.

Good to know im not the only guy who uses blue tape to mark the location to set the machine. Congrats on the Brother.

I assume that's a G-code control and not just a conversational, right? Congrats! I'd love to have a Brother. Almost any machine, really, but they seem very durable and simple to work with.

Love it! 4200 miles? That is quite a haul. Where did you find it? How long did it take? I drove 8 hours for mine and thought that was as trip. :willy_nilly:

Found it on Ebay in St. Louis. Took 5 days. Drove 16 hour days. Cost about half of what It would cost to ship. Averaged about 13MPG in my Duramax. The trip was kind of fun. Saw lots of good country and lots of flat farm land. lol

I assume that's a G-code control and not just a conversational, right? Congrats! I'd love to have a Brother. Almost any machine, really, but they seem very durable and simple to work with.

A00 control. G-code and conversational.

You will love it. Our oldest brother is a 99 s2a. Still making great parts, holding roundness under .0004 milled. Love the brand, NOTHING negative to say after using them for 16 years!

Bigtoy: I bought a TC-S2A about this time last year. It is my first CNC and the whole thing is not my main line of work (for now) so I am moving at a snails pace with it. I suggest you take the way covers off an have a look under the hood before you get too much into operation with it. My way covers looked pretty good but the seals really needed to be replaced and I am in the middle of that now. I bought new seal material from Metal in Motion (their MIM-16 material). The other thing that I found is that my machine did not have hole plugs in the screw holes on the linear bearing tracks and the holes had gotten filled with chips and the linear bearing trucks were completely packed with chips. I wound up taking the little bearing trucks off the slides and took them all apart and cleaned them out. The rails on the S2A are made by NSK. I conviced NSK to sell me new end seals for the bearings (they were not keen on that) and I bought and installed hole plugs in the linear rail screw holes so hopefully if chips get down there again they won't be sucked into the bearings as easily. It sounds bad and sure looked bad to me at the start but the bearing races and the balls on the linear slides all looked pretty good so it went back together pretty nicely.

Pulled the way covers and found lots of aluminum under them. Rails look to be in good condition but, the guide block seals are completely gone. I need to find a make/model number for the blocks so I can try and order seals. Anybody know If I can replace the seals with removing the blocks? Ballscrews look good but the X is way noisier then Y and Z. Turning it by hand it feels a bit rough. I'm not sure if its the ball nut or thrust bearings. I can't "Feel" any back lash turning them by hand.

I also ordered Kyodo Yushi grease and gun from RAS for the ballscrews.

20150220_115037_zps1e47b796.jpg

That is about how mine looked- maybe a little worse. What I did was to clean all the chips out as best i could, then for the y axis one at a time I took the screws out that held the bearing block to the saddle. Then i put one of those little starret jack screws on some round stock under the saddle and jacked it up just enough that the bearing slid out. One by one I cleaned took them out and cleaned them up. I suggest doing this because I bet your bearing blocks will be packed with chips like mine were. The slides on mine are NSK LH25 series.

Nice! Would love to get my hands on one of the Brother machines at some point, maybe in a few years!

That rock-crawler looks awesome, bet that's fun on a weekend!

It looks like Brother needs to read page A54 of the NSK catalog. Those dust caps are necessary for the seals to work.

Yes, congrats on your new addition to the family!

Tell me about it. lol. I'm going to see if I can get the plugs when I order seals. I think I'm going to pull all the blocks and clean them. I'm sure they are all packed with chips.

Back