What's new
What's new

Older Hardinge collets good/better/worse than new?

Eric U

Hot Rolled
Well, I finally got around to buying a collet Chuck for my Doosan turning center. Most of my work is bar fed and I feel I could run my parts a bit faster than with a 3-jaw chuck. Collet changeover should be faster than 3-jaw too. A side benefit I'm hoping for is a bit less coolant mist when I open the door due to the 3-bladed fan I'm trying to piss coolant into.

Anyway, I bought a Royal 3J pullback. Looking at collets on eBay, I found a lot of 17 Hardinge 3J's. Three were open box, but the rest were new, still in the cardboard boxes, wrapped in rust preventative paper. These are in orange cardboard boxes, and have the sizes "3J" and "Hardinge" rolled into the face of the collets instead of the modern laser engraved ones. No sign of the blueish heat treat between the bearing surfaces either, unlike the new ones. I did have to buy two of those to fill in some sizes I know I'll need.

I already bought the collets so I guess this post is pointless. I'm just curious if older Hardinge collets are good, better, or worse than new ones? I think I got a pretty good deal, considering the 14 new collets, but who knows...

Thanks,
Eric U

Does Hardinge still manufacture their collets or outsource?

Eric, you probably don't know me but we saw each other in Benning last year for air rifle nationals. I remembered your suggestion to keep slings as tight as possible and it helped out my prone game. Might end up making the trip down there again this summer.

Andre

Andre,

Sorry, I'm horrible with names, but I bet I'd recognize you. Hope to see you again this summer.

Hardinge still makes all their collets here in the USA!

Eric U

By the way, sorry for the duplicate posts. I'm not sure why it did that. This site is a bit wonky on my iPad.

Hi Eric ... I'm very much inline with Perry ... If it says Hardinge that's good enough for me.

Over the years many have passed through my hands and I've had no issues with old or "new" old stock.

I bought 4 metric replacements earlier this year and did wonder if even Hardinge actually out sourced to far away places but I was pleased to hear they were still US made :D

John :typing::cheers:

With the vast range of different collet types they currently offer, and many of those styles being somewhat outdated I'm surprised Hardinge makes all of them them themselves. Possibly they outsource to another vendor still in the US?

I have had several "Allan Collet and Cam" collets break a section at the bend point over the years, but I don't think I have ever had a Hardinge come apart.

However - old collet is not an issue, but "worn" is. Especially if it is a serrated collet/pad, they doo wear, and when you can't figger out why the bar is pushing back - you may find out that your closer is bottomed out.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back